Chances of a MLS team in South Florida?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by stinky, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    +1,000,000!!!

2. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wish I had wandered over after the game to hear that conversation.....<sigh> From twitter I gather that Lockhart renovation is not in the lead, and that saddens me quite a bit. I can get past that if I must, but if that is truly not to be, it has GOT to be out in Sawgrass as first choice for a new stadium, or if they can squeeze it into downtown somewhere in the Las Olas/Riverside area, second choice. Nowhere else. No rumors of South Broward jsut across the street from Dade, or the stupid arse cricket stadium. Please God!!!! LOL

3. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You are forgetting something else chief. If Garber says "Ft. Lauderdale" everyone will assume he is talking about the Strikers. I mean, how could you not? He's not going to say something that would immediately draw conjecture from every soccer fanboy in America about a team that isn't even in his league, and has made no public statements about desiring a spot in MLS like Orlando for example. You are focused way too much on the "he says Miami" angle my friend. It's really the only argument you've presented, and it's easily dismissed. Not by "blind" fanship, but by simple common sense. On the other hand, we've presented tons a factual statements about what is actually relevant to choosing a D1 market for expansion, and you instead dismiss that. Odd. But hey, to each their own I suppose.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  4. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Anything other than Ft. Lauderdale Strikers would be a resounding no.

5. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very on the money with this point. Which leads me to my next hypothetical question(s)...
    What happens if there is an ownership group working with MLS that is not Traffic, but manages to build a stadium in Ft Lauderale (or Sawgrass or wherever you think it will work) and cannot/will not obtain rights to the Strikers name?
    Does the local fanbase ignore the MLS side altogether and stick with the NASL side because of the name?
    What if Traffic leaves the market but refuses to sell/asks to much for the Strikers' brand?

6. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    But he will do that about a team in NYC that doesn't even exist? Right....

7. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham has announced his retirement. Good or bad for us?

8. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Aaron Davidson once said in an interview with Brian Quarstad of IMS, more or less that Traffic was willing to sell any, or all of it's NASL teams, if the right deal(s) came about. For the most part though, they've always said the Strikers are their team, and they're not planning to go anywhere. But I think if offered the right price, they'd be willing to sell, or at least sell majority ownership. A lot of Traffic operations moved north to Cary some time ago, and the youth system in place up there that has pretty good connections with the Railhawks from what I understand, seems like a much more likeyl landing spot for Traffic given their desire to develop and sell players.

But to address your question directly, I think there is a significant portion of the Strikers fanbase that, like myself, will never jump ship for anything else, even an MLS team. There are some that would choose MLS over the Strikers in a second though, and some that, while their heart will still be with the Strikers, and they'll continue going to the games, they'll also support an MLS side as well. But I just don't see this scenario as possible. There isn't enough interest in American professional soccer in the entirety of South Florida to support two pro teams long term. There just isn't. One or both even might die if forced into competing. I just can't understand why someone would even try it. Whispers going around seem to indicate the Strikers are making some slow, steady progress on their announcement from the preseason that they are pursuing a stadium upgrade, either via a Lockhart renovation, or a new SSS somewhere else. If the Strikers get this plan in place, and begin work, I think it effectively closes the door on anyone else trying to get into this market unless they want to do something incredibly ignorant like waste millions upon millions of dollars over in extended period, with small crowds, trying to wait and hope for the Strikers to die off. I just don't see it happening.

9. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's exactly the point. All this time they have been pushing NYC2 because there is no team actually there. Now the Cosmos have come in, but it's become painfully obvious that the two sides talking about the Cosmos entering MLS was a disaster, and so went their separate ways. Why is hard for you to understand? The league has wanted a team in NYC for a long time now. They have spent a lot of league time and resources on making it happen. It's why they will be #20, not Orlando or anyone else, they're all on the back burners no matter how much anyone would like to hope they aren't. But this has nothing to do with a discussion about the South Florida market. They are completely different situations.

10. RalphsMom

RalphsMom Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. FAU's new stadium is BY FAR the best venue for soccer in South Florida right now. I do think that it is about 10k too big for any potential MLS team to call it a permanent home, but for international games and friendlies, it's top notch.

11. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Wait, what? Becks to Miami picking up steam?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130520/planet-futbol-david-beckham-frank-lampard/#ixzz2TrdJtpeP

koolvid repped this.
  12. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if it is Beckham...where does the team play? JRS (It will always be Joe Robbie Stadium to me)? FIU? Lockhart? Someplace else?

What about the rumors that the league will take over Chivas USA? Could they then turn it over to Beckham and move to South Florida?

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think they build a new stadium like all the other expansion teams.

14. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Beckham has rights to get an expansion club for $25 million, not to relocate one. He won't be involved in any Chivas spin-off.

15. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where? The space for one in Miami-Dade county is difficult to find. If your good friend Mr Claure is involve he wants to build in NW Miami-Dade by the intersection of I-75 & the Florida Turnpike Extension. That's many, many miles outside of "Miami", basically the eastern Everglades, and very close to the City of Miramar, FL which is in Broward County. It is about 12 miles due east of "Joe Robbie" Stadium, a place that several people from South M-D say is way to far fror them to travel
    . I doubt that he'll wish to pay for it and there will not be any $$ from anywhere in Miami-Dade County; Marlins Park insures that.

Can you come ups with any ideas?

16. RalphsMom

RalphsMom Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smoke & Mirrors repped this.
  17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A stadium will be built because that's what all other new franchises have had to do. Who knows if Claure is involved but I see no reason why he would insist on a bad spot.

18. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read what I have posted. Word is that Mr Claure isn't interested in investing much $$$ into this, he just wants to run it. There is little, if any, space for it near the City of Miami. They will not, repeat, will not, get any government assistance in building it. The chances of any new stadium in M-D County is nearly zero. It probably won't happen for decades without the County, the State of Florida and whatever municipality it is being built in contributing both cash and tax breaks and, after the financial disaster that is Marlins Park in Little Havana, that is not going to happen.

Where Claure said he'd build a stadium is just a couple of miles north of his company's main office. It would be built there for his convenience, if for no other reason. It is miles from Miami and, despite being in Miami-Dade County, may actually be a bit closer to Ft Lauderdale than Miami. Where anyone else may wish to build is anyone's guess, but there are not that many options available.

If Mr Beckham hooks up with the Dolphins group the team would probably play in 75,000 seat SunLife Stadium. They are trying to get that stadium rebuilt and certainly have no desire to build a smaller venue for an MLS team.

Unfortunately things are not quite as easy as you think they are. No "Miami" location, no outside government financing, no public transportation and a fragmented fanbase. Of course, with time and sufficient cash all of this can be overcome, but this may not be exactly the glitter that David Beckham may be after.

RalphsMom repped this.
  19. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If an owner decides to locate a team in Miami-Dade..and if it's not going to be at JRS or FIU....the only thing that makes sense to me would be one of the following options:
    ---Build at an existing stadium site at one of the county parks, like Tropical Park or Ted Hendricks Stadium. You already have parking at those sites....Tropical is right off the Palmetto...and maybe you could partner with UM for a hybrid soccer/football facility there if UM gets tired of JRS. This would be way cheaper than options B or C or D. To me, this makes the most sense.
    ---Build on the grass lots west of Marlins Park (currently surface parking). Might have to eminent domain a few properties to do this...plus it might be a bad idea since MLS and MLB seasons overlap a ton.
    ---Build way out west (worst idea I think)....something off I-75 west of the turnpike as some have suggested.
    ---Replace the amphitheater at Bayfront Park with a SSS that could also host concerts. I love this idea...but I think there is no way it happens.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    As a Hispanic, I think the Hispanic angle in the article is way overstated. It's only the Mexican population that is unreceptive to MLS. For a city that has few Mexicans like Miami there is no issue. DC also has high Hispanic/low Mexican demographics and they have been very successful marketing to the Hispanic community.

Prime Time repped this.
  21. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way....anyone who wants MLS soccer in South Florida (whether it's the 305 or 954)....needs to show up next Tuesday at Lockhart for the Strikers vs. FC Dallas US Open Cup game. 7-8,000 at that game would go further than 70,000 for Spain-Haiti at JRS in proving that our area can support an MLS team. I believe this is the first time the Strikers have hosted an MLS team in Open Cup play.

22. RalphsMom

RalphsMom Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The District Of Columbia (DC) only has a Hispanic or latin population of 9.5%. You're telling me that that compares to Miami-Dade's 64.5%? You're crazy. Do any of you actually care about numbers, statistics and history? Or do you just assume and speculate all the time?

Also, I'm not worried about the Mexican population, I'm worried about the 33.7% Cuban population that traditionally is uninterested in sports at all and if they are, they care only about Baseball and Boxing. For God's sake SAILING is higher on their sport of choice list than soccer. SAILING!!

23. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I would like to see Chivas rebranded and moved to Florida (Miami or Orlando), it would seem to be in the best interest of the league to just sell it, rebrand it and leave it in the LA area. It would quite ironic to have the next expansion be two Florida clubs (Miami - South Florida / Orlando City) 10+ years after contraction. 2017 would be 15 years.

Also would there be any correlation between Beck's ownership trajectory and Jordan's ownership in Charlotte? Basically can globally known players become great owners, or is this apples and oranges?

24. MNolt42

MNolt42 New Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I have a n idea for a possible stadium location. The most evident disadvantage is the lack of parking, but otherwise the location compensates.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=26.085579,-80.186849&spn=0.016362,0.027874&t=h&z=16

It's the open green space right where Marina Blvd (State Road 84) merges into I-595 and the Florida Turnpike, along the New River. This area can easily fit a 20,000 SSS. As mentioned there is instant access to 595 and I-95 is roughly a mile away. The Ft Lauderdale Downtown skyline (thus in Broward County) is visible from here. There is some available (albeit minimal) parking between Marina Mile and 595 and other areas further east and south that could potentially accommodate parking.

Not as spacious, which could ultimately render it a passing fancy, as other options (ie I-75 FL Turnpike), but its in close proximity to downtown Fort Lauderdale and has easy access to the three major highways in South Florida

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I know little about the Cuban culture so I can't answer there but I can say that Central and South Americans will give the league a fair shake which is what I was talking about.