Chances of a Krafty sighting In Chicago this weekend

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Savage Nation F.C., Nov 14, 2003.

1. Savage Nation F.C.

Savage Nation F.C. New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    Elitest Northeast
    I say only if there is an NFL owner meeting there this weekend like back in 97 when they missed Keego's goal to put us in playoffs

2. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I am 99.9% certain that Jonathan Kraft will be in the house [Soldier Field] tonight. If he can be there, he will.

There's a lot you can say about the Krafts [good, bad and indifferent], but one thing they certainly aren't absentee owners.

I wouldn't be surprised it Bob's there, too. Bob and Myra are huge footie fans.

3. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Down Under

Nice to be vacationing in Australia this time of year.

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Rugby World Cup is going on there right now. I wonder if Big Krafty is scouting some massive Fijian who can step in as a linebacker next year...

Danny, I'm not questioning you (or maybe I am?), but how do you define an "absentee owner?" The pre-2003 Jeremy Jacobs would fit the bill, but it takes more than just showing your face at the games and glad-handing players when they win.

You could argue that Kraft Soccer Inc. are absentees in terms of their involvement with running the team off the field. Before REV-OKe says it, I will admit that there's a lot that goes on that I don't know about, but given the lack of effort in the marketing and promotional area, and the fact that as the team has gotten better, attendance has declined, I really have to wonder how actively the Krafts are involved, or how truly committed they are to seeing this team succeed.

Tom

5. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    I don't know about involvement with the front office, but I can vouch for the Kraft's interest in the team. I was at a fundraising dinner with them last year during the playoffs vs. the Crew, at which they were the honorees (which is why they were there instead of the game). And in the middle of the event they got a cell phone call with the score and started high-fiving each other and their families and friends. They definitely care (although not as much as BSers do).

6. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I was only replying to the likelihood of a Kraft sighting.

As for absentee ownership, it's not like they live in Boca Raton sitting back cashing checks while some poor slob peels grapes for them and, meanwhile, don't oversee what's happening. That's what I meant.

They're there. They're involved. They make decisions. I'm not convinced otherwise. I've been around this family for almost a decade, after all. There's evidence of at least a Kraft [Jon or Bob] or multiple Krafts [Jon, Bob, Myra, Dan, David and Josh] everytime I'm there for an event. I can honestly say I've seen a Kraft at nearly every match I've been to at Foxboro/Gillette. It's not like I look for them either --- because they sure as hell aren't looking for me [truth be known, they could give two turds about me --- and, that's alright, too].

It's okay to question, too, Tom.

I'm not absolutely sure they're not happy with things as constituted. By the same token, I'm sure if they're unhappy. Knowing them, though, they're not losing money, and the bottom line is that it's a business. Plain and simple.

That is, however, a story for another day. I'm working on it, too.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Jonathan Kraft and some other high-ranking figures in the Revs organization were in Chicago last night at the match. Just FYI.

The Magpie

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that George Palmer's job description?

9. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Jon Kraft, Lou Imbriano and Gulati were definitely there, along with Craig Tornberg (which is a given). I agree with Danizinho -- Kraft cares about how the team does, and I think he's genuinely interested in the sport. Folks in San Jose, perhaps, would snicker, and I'd be hard-pressed to blame them, but I do think it's true.