Chances for 3rd place?

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by acleansheet, Apr 24, 2011.

1. acleansheet

acleansheet New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Arsenal blew it today against Bolton which means we've got two games on hand with an 8 point difference. Now I know 4th place is the priority and City fans would be delighted with that. Just wanted to hear thoughts on the possibility...

Looks like Arsenal's confidence is shot down. And now they've got to play United, at Stoke, Villa, at Fulham. Can't see them winning the next two games to be honest.

As for City, at Blackburn, West ham, at Everton, Spurs, Stoke (final), Stoke (league), at Bolton. Will be interesting to see the XI Mancini puts out for the Spurs game 4 days before the final.

2. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If there were more games left I'd reckon we might be able to do it, especially with Arsenal in their yearly meltdown.

But we have tough fixtures too including two bogey teams (Everton and Stoke) so I don't think we can get 3rd, but you never know...

3. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    With 6 games remaining, here are the matchups that I worry about.

Everton
    Tottenham

The only chance that we'll get that third spot is if we win our remaining games. However, the above two fixtures are doubtful. As for Blackburn and West Ham. If we don't win those, we don't even deserve to be in 4th. It's typical city. A dramatic win vs Utd and a loss to blackburn is never surprising.

4. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bit more of a chance now after that nail biter. Gods we scraped that one but top teams have to win ugly sometimes.

5. acleansheet

acleansheet New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well chances are looking good. If Arsenal lose to United this weekend and we defeat a terrible West Ham side at home we're 2 points off with a game in hand!

6. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Glad Dzeko finally got the monkey off his back in the league!

7. thecitizen

thecitizen Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah great goal from dzeko..we are rolling!

8. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can win either the Spurs or Everton game i think we can take third, but if we lose or draw both i think we're fourth. That's with winning the other 3 games. We should demolish West Ham as we beat them easily without Tevez in December (night transfer request story broke).

I want Spurs outside of striking distance(aka losing to Chelsea and city) before the Final two games so there is no Cup final hangover to be had. Wouldn't want to lose the final and the Champions league place in the span of a week.

9. 'appy Addick

'appy Addick New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Portsmouth
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Third place is very much a possibility and if ever it was time for City to start to adopt a winning mentality it's now. The place in the cup final is assured. Take that and enjoy it. City are four points ahead of Spurs. Take that and enjoy it too. It's an extremely good position to be in but it could be better.

One of the things that disappointed me about the Blackburn match on Monday, was the way City started brightly and should really have blown Blackburn away, but didn't. Instead they seemed to let the early failure to get on the scoreboard eat at their confidence. They went into their shell and for long periods they let Blackburn come at them. A better opponent than Blackburn would have punished them for that.

It seems to me that City's self belief is very fragile and if they let Stoke get the whiff of weakness in their nostrils come Cup Final day, they'll hit City with all they've got.

Before City can turn from wealthy to winners they have to start believing totally that they deserve to be where they are, and that if they keep playing their football and maintain pressure on their opponents, then the opposition WILL crack.

Third place is a mathematical possibility at present, but it will only become a realistic one if the team has a sudden outbreak of positive attitude.... a look down the fixture list and saying "We can do them.... yeah, they're beatable.... that one's three points for the taking...." Start looking at opponents like Everton and saying "it's time we put that bogey to bed".

And then go out and play like you mean it.

10. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that Scum is 6 points in front of Chels even on games, and we're 5 behind Arse with a game in hand makes it one of those once in a "blue moooooon" times when I root for those petulant bastards from salford. It's made even easier knowing we, and not some marked ass team, did in there treble hopes.

C'mon beat that arse you stupid f*ckin rags!

11. 'appy Addick

'appy Addick New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Portsmouth
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Unfortunately, they didn't appear to want it enough against Arsenal, which isn't helpful, but by the same token with Chelsea getting all the dodgy refereeing decisions in their favour against Spurs, Sunday's match between the two of them could see Chelsea top of the Premiership on goal difference by Sunday evening.

Come on you Chelsea..!!

12. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Howard Webb has been put in charge of United vs. Chelsea to ensure United don't lose.

[​IMG]

We can only focus on our own games though.

13. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Obviously the Rags need to pay him more because he can't even afford the new rags jersey

14. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well our loss to Everton sent each Citizen into a depressive mindset as the all-too-familiar thoughts of "Oh no, we're gonna mess this up..." returned. But Blackpool just held Spurs to a draw (and would have won with a bit more steel) so we now really only need a point from our match with Spurs to secure CL football. And even if we lose to Spurs, they'd still be 3pts behind with a vastly inferior goal difference.

As for the original thread topic, no chance now... maybe next year though, if we can hold on to 4th spot, we'll have the world at our feet as far as transfer options go.

15. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    even with this loss, 4th place is pretty much wrapped up. I know I should speak too soon, but seriously, we really have to try hard to screw this one up. However, this really sucks because for a moment it looked like 3rd place was within reach.

Everton's had our numbers. I am not too surprised that we lost this one. It's no big deal. It's still a decent season if we win the FA cup and finish fourth, with the latter 99% done.

16. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Chances seem realistic with Arsenal losing at home to Villa.

Arsenal on 67 points, goal difference of + 29. Final game away at Fulham.

City on 65 points, goal difference of + 22. Game in hand is a repeat of the FA Cup Final at Eastlands. Final game away at Bolton.

17. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    crap, I just saw the dressing room celebration. It looks like they'll be drunk for a while. I am scared that these guys won't be focused enough for Stoke City.

Come on Mancini, keep the guys focused.

18. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We are getting the best referee, there is no doubt about that"- the drunk

19. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can, play the same team as Saturday with maybe Dzeko getting the Start with Mario and bring Tevez in later if he's fit. We've got a good chance at third now lads don't blow it.

20. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    there's a problem with that, they're all drunk ha ha ha. We'll see how it goes. Maybe some people play better on a hangover?

21. acleansheet

acleansheet New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha looked to me like Hart was the only one really having a go at the drinks. Aleks Kolorov and David Silva didn't have any of it.

22. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently 3rd place in the table. Can't draw against Bolton have to win as Arsenal have GD advantage.

23. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    or if Arsenal chokes and loses again, we don't need to do anything. Yes, win it and it's ours. This just gets better and better. 4 full days to rest and Sunday let's take it all.

3rd place is ours to lose at this point. Arsenal is outside looking in.

24. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All games kick off the same time, can't take any chances.

25. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We did it!

This team has developed the winning mentality and bottle like no other City team in my lifetime. Straight into the Champions League group stage and joint 2nd with Chelsea, just inferior goal difference.