Championship - best defender? I ask you for your opinions!

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by ranny fash, Jan 31, 2009.

1. ranny fash

ranny fash Member

May 18, 2005
    notts
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    This topic is pretty straightforward. Who do you think is the best defender in this division?

As a Forest fan, I'm going to suggest that Wes Morgan, probably our best and most consistent performer of the season, must be one of the better if not one of the best. His form has been crucial to us, because most of our other defenders have played pretty badly, and Wes has had to bail them out on numerous occasions.

His game has improved dramatically over the last 6 months; he is rarely beaten, as well as being very comfortable in possession, strong, and positionally excellent. His passing is superb, and he regularly times tackles with increasing confidence. He can play equally well with a traditional no-nonsense centre half partner, or with a quicker, more modern defensive partner. He does however, have a history of making totally inexplicable errors (but then, which defender doesn't? thankfully none so far this season!).

Who is your best defender? How good are they? Strengths? Weaknesses? Has any defender on another team impressed you when you played them?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...remier-league-1234196.html?action=Popup&ino=1

This link lists the top 20 players in the Championship according to The Independent. Defenders in the list are Daniel fox (Coventry), Liam rosenior (Reading), Kevin Foley (Wolves), Kyle Naughton (Blades), and they are all full backs who enjoy bombing forward. Any defenders you can think of that are missing from that list?

Suggest one player, or several! Please describe them though. Cheers!

2. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Our best defender is Garry Monk. He reads the game very very well, which compensates for his lack of pace. He did manage to ******** up for their first goal yesterday, but he's been excellent all season so I can forgive him for it!

As for fullbacks bombing on, I still haven't seen anyone who's looked anywhere near as good as Rangel.

3. ranny fash

ranny fash Member

May 18, 2005
    notts
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Rangel was superb against us, but then we played incredibly badly.