Champions of Europe - Pre-Season Thread 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by dcc134, Mar 25, 2019.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Half time we lead 3 nil. Clyne ! and 2 poacher's goals from Brewster. Great to see the lad getting on the scoresheet.

A new 11 to start the second half .....

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see Duncan, Glatzel, & Woodburn on the pitch at the same time.

Kent was involved in the 1st half, Wilson didn't get to do much as little went down the right side.

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Matip great ball over the top and great finish from Origi!

5-0

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Great run from Hoever sets up Duncan. 6-0.

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worrying injury for Glatzel? He’s supposed to be a top prospect.

6. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    First half I was really impressed with Brewster. He wasn’t really looking to score much, yet he scored two goals. For the most part, he was looking to pick out teammates with smart passes, a bit like Firmino. He had the assist on Clyne’s goal. He took both goals with ease. Great header on the first one. He carries himself like he belongs. Didn’t seem nervous or overly anxious to prove something. Can’t wait to see more of him.

I also was really impressed with the young left back Larouci. He was great going forward and should have had a goal. If he continues to impress, maybe Klopp will consider him for the place in the squad left by Moreno.

In the second half Hoever really stood out. This kid has a huge future. He looks like he can play in the first team right now. Some good performances from Jones, Woodburn, and Origi as well. Last summer Curtis Jones was talked about as our biggest prospect. Two summers ago it was Woodburn. Now all we hear about is Brewster. It will be interesting to watch what happens with Jones and Woodburn this season.

idreamofpikas and EruditeHobo repped this.
  7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely a demigod.

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoever looks like Trent 2.0... nice youth LFC have coming through, hopefully some of them are able to pop.

9. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    read the play by play. Wish I could've watched it. Curtis Jones did impress me last year. How did he look today

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked fine, I honestly don't remember much about his play. His goal was a nice finish, but all about the perfect ball sent right to his foot.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think he was that good, personally, should have had 2 goals probably, should have gotten forward more. Isn't he supposed to be a winger? Would have thought he'd be rearing to go considering he was in the Robbo role.

Brewster was good. Milner and Gomez were good. Hoever was good. Origi was good.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Larouci is a LB.

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was switched from LW to LB just this past season, though. I was saying I hoped some of those winger instincts would have been more apparent because he looked hesitant sometimes.

15. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Dbhm
    I thought he got forward a ton and looked good doing so. All of our play went down the left side in the first half. He did waste a really good chance, but you have to give him credit for getting himself into goalscoring positions. He’s still just a teenager. Looking forward to seeing him again on Sunday.

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was forward a lot, you're right. I really just meant positionally he was out there wide in attacking positions. I would have liked to see a lot more threatening runs in behind! He seemed to be doing a lot of hanging out near the touch line even when he and someone, Milner or Kent, could have been playing a 2-man game getting at the defense... I kept expecting him to make these charging runs into the ample space to the left of their box, but he rarely seemed to. He combined well, and cut inside sometimes, but seemed like he was expecting other attackers to make the runs. He more often was looking for people to cut through into the box rather than make the run.

He wasn't bad at all, I just was looking for something specific that he wasn't doing.

17. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This seems to be something we are doing a lot of. Trent was originally a midfielder. They tried to to turn Camacho into a right back, but he resisted it, and that’s why he is no longer at the club.

Our fullbacks are on the ball as much as any of our midfielders, so it seems like a good strategy to try to make talented and pacy midfielders into fullbacks who can play in our system.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They play through the FBs a LOT. I'd like to see a healthy Naby make a jump in consistency and impact this season, if only because I think he has the potential to give them more thrust through midfield, which might vary the attack somewhat and switch up what opposing defenses are seeing.

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Saw most of the game. We looked a lot sharper than I was expecting. I know, I know, Tranmere and all that but still.

20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The attacking part of our play was quite good but the defending, understandably perhaps, was a bit dishevelled at times. The occasional thrusts by Tranmere through the middle caused all manner of problems at the back.

Some good performances all round. Pity about he early injury to Glatzel as he was looking quite good.

Early days, yet, but maybe the reluctance to engage in a "spending arms race" with City is grounded in both realism and optimism about the next batch of players in our hands.

newterp, idreamofpikas and dcc134 repped this.
  22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Caught 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there. Larouci, yes, looked like he knows his way around the fullback/winger position. Brewster's first, his headed goal, was a real striker's goal. Matip to Origi to seal the CL win; Matip to Origi to seal the defeat of Tranmere. Somethings should never change.

dcc134 repped this.
  23. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only got to watch bits and pieces yesterday and highlights, but on that showing looked good enough to play the cup games for us this year.

Nice goal by Clyne. If I were him, I'd be sticking around for the year. He seems to be fit enough now to be ready if/when we need him.

Divy's goal was sublime.

I'm really looking forward to seeing these lads next week at Fenway. I'm a little surprised it hasn't sold out.

24. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    HAd completely forgotten about Woodburn, too.