Pre-match: Champions League Quarter Final: 2nd Leg: April 4, 2012 Chelsea FC v SL Benfica [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Robdog, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Wednesday 4 April 2012
    UEFA Champions League
    Quarter-Final, second leg - Stamford Bridge - 1945 (GMT)

Fern, will this work??? Still are not of this yet, especially if Benfica scores first. Tie will even stevens if that happens.

2. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I guess CFC & Benfica have previous history w/ each other. Check this pict out:
    [​IMG]

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    looks good

no need to call it pre match, this can be the match thread

4. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Well if I could type :eek: BTW, there are some injuries to report from Benfica:
    Miguel Vitor & Jardel is injured. I believe Ezequiel Garay is out as well. Also Emerson was suspended.
    So this leaves Benfica w/ one CB for this match. Where is Portugeezer??? He has a better understanding of Benfica. I believe the starting CB will be Javi Garcia and Luisão. No word on DD or David Luiz.

5. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Finally got my new laptop, its been a rough few weeks without one.

Excited and confident that we'll make it thru, up the Chels!

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Cannot wait.

7. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    It's a shame those guys are injured/suspended. I enjoyed watching Chelsea dominate them last week.

Do we have any suspensions? Hopefully Meireles?

8. SwissBlue

SwissBlue Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Fribourg
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Game one of three in five days... Lets hope we've no significant injuries come Thursday morning. Not exactly on-thread, but I've a feeling the Mackems will beat Spurs in the Saturday lunchtime kickoff and we'll beat Wigan later on. Two points behind Spurs going into Monday night away at the Cottage; another must win. Squeaky-bum time for us :cool:.

9. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Lots of big games for us these days.

10. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotta continue to focus on one game at a time.... Right now our priority is winning this game.

11. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    NAPOLI - I was home and watched, we lost 3-1
    vs Napoli - was at work, came home to find a shocking 4-1 result in our favor

benfica - was at work, came home to find a terrific 1-0 away win
    vs Benfica - will be home and watching...:eek:

Sorry in advance, all.

12. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Technically, we don't need to win this, a draw is enough.

But seeing us concede two late goals against an injury-ravaged Villa side on Saturday has erased any confidence I had in our defence, so we definitely need to score - a 2 goal margin with 20 minutes remaining will probably see us thru...any less, I will be shredding my fingernails!

13. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    @Napoli - I was home and watched, we lost 3-1
    vs Napoli - I was home and watched, we got a shocking 4-1 result in our favor

@Benfica - was at work, came home to find a terrific 1-0 away win
    vs Benfica - will be at work....:eek:

Hopefully, it doesn't mean anything!

14. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0iGG9X1HuY]Update from the training pitch[/ame]

15. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    I have a similar reason why I don't watch Chelsea games with other people no more.

16. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I wonder if Kalou gets the start. He wasn't all that effective against Villa, but RDM seems to like what he offers and has been mixing up the team fairly well. Better than AVB ever did. Does anyone know what happened to Drogba? A knock in training?

I've given up trying to predict RDM's lineups because he does switch it up so well. I think the back 4 will be Cole, Terry, Cahill, Ivan only because Luiz was injured. I think Lampard will start at home and Essien might get some minutes since he hasn't played in a good while now.

17. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    honestly, i've appreciated what kalou has brought to the team the last few weeks. he's very disciplined about helping out on defense, is a willing runner, and is probably the best option we have on the left if we continue to play mata in the middle. you can't necessarily say his build up play is the best, but he finds himself in the box at the right time rather frequently. his cross led to the first goal last week as well. he's proven again why he's such a valuable player to have around to step in and be willing to work. and as long as he's okay with his part, he should probably be kept around. we had the same discussion last year, and probably the year before, but if he's willing, i'd say keep him.

i mean, it's him or malouda on the left.

18. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Yes DD stubbed his toe @ practice last week in preparation for the Villa match. We will find out today if he is ready to go tomorrow nite.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_U96X3ImU]Blues News for 4/3/12[/ame]

discovered this incredible stat from CFC's CL Campaign this season:

Chelsea have won all of their four Champions League fixtures at home this season, scoring 14 goals in the process and conceding just one.

19. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA bans Chelsea goalkeeper coach for 1 match

NYON, Switzerland (AP)—UEFA has banned Chelsea goalkeeper coach Christophe Lollichon from the second leg of the Champions League quarterfinals against Benfica on Wednesday for his “improper conduct” in the opening match.

UEFA said its disciplinary panel imposed a one-match ban Tuesday after Lollichon was sent from the bench by Italian referee Paolo Tagliavento in the closing minutes of last week’s first leg in Lisbon.

The ban prevents the French coach from working in the stadium with Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech.

Chelsea will defend a 1-0 lead at Stamford Bridge.

20. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Oh noes! How will we ever be able to compete now?:eek:

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Will Cech now know what to do?

22. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Probably not. As we all know, GK's are totally useless during games without their respective coaches watching them on the sidelines.

23. Andy F

Andy F Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lollichon does a hell of a lot with the keepers pre-game.

I assume mark beeney will simply step in but they have more of an impact more than you'd think.

24. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed

I have seen Lochillon scribbling down notes on every opposing set piece

either that or he his writing Eva love letters. :p

25. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Hard to be optimistic when 3 of our CB's are out. Luisao is looking like he will be out as well with injury.