Champions League Matchday 3 - October 20, 2009: AZ Alkmaar vs. Arsenal [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Rewinder, Oct 17, 2009.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    What can you do. They call my club Twente Enschede which pisses off a lot of Twente fans (Enschede is the main city in the region of Twente)

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ajax Amsterdam

PSV Eindhoven

they seem to do it with the Dutch clubs... mostly because the Dutch clubs put that as their official names, while clubs in other nations do not..

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That's news to me. Ajax officially list their name as AFC Ajax (Amsterdam Football Club Ajax). The official Twente name is FC Twente 1965. I've never seen either of them referred to by their official names by UEFA.

4. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Who cares? AZ, AZ Alkmaar, Alkmaar Zaanstreek Alkmaar, whatever. They're going to lose.

5. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    PSV is officially Philips Sport Vereniging. Eindhoven, like Alkmaar, and to a lesser extent Amsterdam, seems to be a weird unofficial UEFA addition for Dutch clubs.

6. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    right there with ya wayne.
    who gives a ********?

once again, neeskens needs to take it out and quit moaning about everything related to dutch football.

7. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    This is starting to feel like a game where I hope no one gets injured, more than anything else.

A draw, if not a win, is the most likely outcome, and with progression from the group almost already assured, I suspect there may be some apathy in the performance tonight. If we score first, we'll be fine.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    there you go
    I have seen Rangers referred to as or Glasgow Rangers...

UEFA is weird, lol

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    damn, thats some high praise...

thanks for the article phish, that was a good read...

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Uverse says all 800 Fox Sports channels are showing the Poo v. Lyon, and that Arsenal isn't shown until 5:00 PM, and that's on FSC/FSE. Is this true?

11. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That is true.

12. YankGooner

YankGooner Member

Sep 24, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. FSC at 5 Eastern is the debut. I will be shutting my cellphone off & staying off the interweb until then.

13. voltman

voltman Member

Mar 26, 2008
    It's listed on Setanta for me. (Sorry if it's already been mentioned.)

14. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My DirectTv guide says that the match is on live at 2:30 on Setanta......

15. luvgunners

luvgunners Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Cornelius, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Go Gunners! If we can get 3 points from this one, we can focus on the Prem in Nov/Dec.

16. PhilaFAB

PhilaFAB New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    why? because he's our best goalkeeper

17. Flyemirates2491

Mar 8, 2007
    Roma, Italia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope we don't go into this expecting not to be troubled, because the second we start having that attitude we'll be punished. Remember Standard Liege? We were fortunate to get the result that night, and if we are resting key players today then we'll have to be completely focused to get the points. We should expect a win from ourselves and I'm confident that we will, but we shouldn't expect AZ to roll over.

He's not so exceptional that he should 'ALWAYS' start. I'm not convinced he's any better than Mannone, the only thing he's got on him is experience. Vito's shown that he can win games, and the goal he conceded on the weekend was the kind of blip that should fade out as he plays more.

Best of luck to the men tonight; I probably won't get to see this but it should be a fun one. I hope we keep up our form and tempo, and Robin continues to work wonders.

18. PhilaFAB

PhilaFAB New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    you really don't think that he's that much better? he was immense last season. we've seen what he's capable of. i think mannone will eventually be a better goalkeeper, but, for this season at least, i think we should always go with almunia and the experience he brings to the table.

19. BS49

BS49 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Drinking a beer
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

DirecTV has all the games and the Game Mix where you can watch 8 games at the same time if you subscribe to Setanta and FSC. Fox and DirecTV is doing a great job with the Champions.

20. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    this is the sort of thing that put Almunia over Lehmann at the start. To me it feels the same.

21. PhilaFAB

PhilaFAB New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i wouldn't necessarily say so...lehmann was towards the end of his career (what was he 37 or 38?) and almunia wasn't at the beginning of his career (he was 30 i think?)

that's much different from mannone, who as a 24 yr old, has hardly had any top level match experience in his entire life. not to mention he's our third choice goalie.

i'm not trying to underscore mannone's achievemetns these past few games. i think he's played phenomenol...for a 24 yr old/3rd string goalie. still, i'd go with almunia and then fabianski any day

22. Flyemirates2491

Mar 8, 2007
    Roma, Italia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's a good shot stopper (great penalty saver), but he's poor in distribution and is error prone with crosses. You can applaud last season (I would call it more of a mixed bag), but he hasn't been good this year.

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I dont think he is... their really hasnt been much of a difference between Mannone and Almunia, and in many instances, Mannone has been better (the Fulham match)... plus he is 21, so he can improve as opposed to a 31 year old Almunia who will not be getting any better

the mistakes Mannone has made, I have seen Almunia make... their is no reason to be guaranteeing Almunia a starting spot

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    sans that 3 months where he wasnt... from the NLD in October onward...

he should not, and should never, be guaranteed a starting spot

25. Sgunner

Sgunner New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Official Staring Line up:

Mannone

Sagna – Gallas – Vermaelen – Clichy