PBP: Champions League: Matchday 2: Lille FC V Chelsea FC

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StamfordBridgeLions, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I only saw some meager highlights.

1. Pulisic is not sniffing the starting spot if Willian keeps scoring. Keep in mind he's (Willian) playing for an extension or a lucrative move elsewhere.

2. How did Kante play? The audio commentary led me to believe he was a bit timid; good, but not as impactful?

3. I think for as many people whinging about Pulisic on Twitter and in the media, there are triple the amount who blindly follow where Frank leads; the same people who jumped on previous coaches the first chance they got.

4. The in-house TNT pre-game, halftime, and post-match are absolute garbage. "Hey, look at how hip we are. Maybe it'll distract about the crap coming from our mouths."

5. Great job from Tammy to get a goal.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  2. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #102 StamfordBridgeLions, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Zonal marking. How many corners and free kicks in an average game? Not many. A strategy might be to always make sure that for each game we have a player who man marks the oppositions target man, no.9. etc. Take care of the obvious threat. So that if we are playing Spurs we just make sure Harry Kane is always taken care of. So, when we are playing Lille, just get somebody on Victor Osimhen. Too simplistic?

3. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Communication. One thing I like about this team is that they are communicating. Been watching our players as they leave the pitch at half-time and full-time and they are always talking and often arguing with each other. Or when a cross goes awry the gestures and the berating of teammates is evident. It's good to see. Team spirit is high. No sulky and distant players.

4. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it is a little simplistic tbh because it only takes a couple of set pieces to find us out at the back and we are giving up more than enough to be a threat.

From open play I dont disagree but that does rely on us switching up from zonal marking which I dont see happening at least until rudi is back. Until then we will muddle through and keep putting a heavier burden on the attacking players.

Willian is playing well right now and if he maintains that form we are a much more effective team.

My main concern prior to the start of the season was all about goalscoring. Tammy and co seem quite comfortable at present and that is a massive relief. Tammy will likely slow down but others are carving out chances as well.

Do we have a coach who specializes on defensive duties on staff? I know maka is about but specifically thinking about the back 3 or 4.

5. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    To be fair, the first Liverpool goal from a few weeks back was clever, and a belter from Alexander-Arnold.

6. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yep, I repeatedly stated that I didn't think that Tammy was good enough. I am very happy to be wrong about that. Still, when that transfer ban is lifted we need to buy a World Class striker to replace Giroud/Batsman. My choice would be MBappe :D
    We have the money.

Ashley Cole is working with the yoof with a view of joining the first-team coaching staff. But a brilliant Italian defensive coach might be a better option imho.

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The only note I’ll make regarding zonal vs. man marking is that we had two defenders on Ohsimen for his goal. One of those defenders just whiffed on the ball.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly. He just him run off him. It doesn't matter what system you use if people don't attack the ball or at least try and impede the attackers movement.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Willian has been playing well over the past few weeks and, as you suggest, if he keeps on playing well and we're winning it gets hard to drop him.

I don't know what's going on with Puli atm and I admit I was surprised he wasn't at least on the bench. Hopefully he's having some discussions to at least him know what the manager's thinking is.