PBP: Champions League: Matchday 2: Lille FC V Chelsea FC

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StamfordBridgeLions, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought he was very quiet, tbh. if he'd been doing that every game I'd also be questioning why we were continuing to play him but the thing is he's done quite a lot more than that over the time he's been playing. Thus my questioning of the phrase 'another underwhelming performance'. That's simply unfair.

2. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well Willian went off injured. Pedro was underwhelming. CHO may not be back to 100% fitness, so you-know-who might game again soon.

3. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He-who-shall-not-be-named?

Hopefully, and then he looks good.

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Willian got injured? What happened?

5. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pedro hasn't really offered much recently. willian has to be fair. if we want to do a youth and experience blend it should be willian and CHO/Pulisic for the wings, with Pedro spelling here and there. just my opinion. but i agree, i think CHO has done enough to show he can be just as effective as pedro at the moment. though i also concede that we probably need to continue to be careful given his injury.

i'm really wanting to see Mount in midfield in a 4-3-3 as well, it would be really nice to know if he is good there or not at this level.

Rman3349 repped this.
  6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you see it when Loftus-Cheek returns? He was a beast at the end of last year.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cho - Tammy - Pulisic
    Mount - Kante - RLC

glutton4Bolts and Ninjatend0 repped this.
  8. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If fully healthy, it's a midfield of RLC, Kante, and Jorginho. I love Mount, but what RLC brings to the table, no one else does on this team, not even close really.

Yahtzee repped this.
  9. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think Willian was hurt, but just the usual end of match bumps.

10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Interesting.

I think if we want to go for it, but to me Jorge is just too damn good to not play.

11. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    this I totally agree with and it may be part of the reason mount is out wide so much in both the 3-4-3 and 4-3-3 because thats where he is going to get minutes.

the issue is cho clearly has the better upside is lamps going to be willing to sit willian for him or will they sell willian to make that happen.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he's thinking Mount'll take the same kind of development route he took where he started wide and then moved inside when he'd got used to play at this level.

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I feel I think it depends on who we face but if we are playing a team that’s big and physical and wants to play in transition then Jorge is more of a liability but he’s certainly the better player and has been good this year.

Blueallthru repped this.
  14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes please.

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Another (interesting) question that comes to mind is how does Lampard view Mount personally.
    Managers, to a man and fault, will stick with their view of a player despite multiple poor games.
    Now, the point here is not that Mount had a poor game..he didn't.
    The point is how long would a player like Mount have to have a poor showing for to be not selected by Lampard, who has spoke quite highly of the lad all along.
    Plus, Mount has done what is regarded as the hardest thing to do in football, score a goal.

CHO has made an impact in every appearance he has made so far.His time on the pitch will increase as his fitness levels get up to par.I have no doubt he will be a regular starter, game after game, upon resumption of play following the next international break.

I would think Mount will be moved into the middle to accommodate this move.
    Pedro/Willian spelling time on the right.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CHO certainly has shown his worth since returning. Two assists in the last two games in limited minutes is pretty nice. My problem with Mount is that he has no assists to speak of in all the minutes he has played... I also find it odd that Tammy doesn't either. That is 14 games all told for Tammy and 10 for Mount. Now, I find it hard to fault Tammy at all... he is a striker and he is... well... striking. But I would like to see Mount serve a bit more in the box.

17. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Oh, I think a return of 3 goals from 10 games is quite pleasing to Lampard at this stage in his career.
    Lampard himself has said just the other day that he's pleasantly surprised at how Mount has adapted.
    Also, bearing in mind that I obviously don't know for sure, but I rather imagine Lampard is instructing Mount to get into the box and shoot, or lurk the edges to arrive late and shoot and not worry about finding a player to pass to to shoot as a primary focus.

lobomojo repped this.
  18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Was watching Baca vs Inter live, so missed this match. Glad we got 3 points.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's taking shots on himself rather than passing I'd say. As you suggest, that's liable to skew the stats regarding 'assists'.

But I think the truth is we won't really get an accurate view of these kids... ANY of them... for quite a while.

I've been reading the England boards and people there are suggesting they should be playing Tomori, Mount, Tammy and even some suggestions of Reece.

I mean, I'm glad we look like we're providing some help to the national side as I support them as well but, come ON!!! :D I know they played well in the Championship last year but we're not even a fifth of a way through the EPL season yet. Let's not get ahead of ourselves guys.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  20. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In Asia so been sleeping through these : /

How was Reece?

21. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He has yet to look a player who is more than someone who provides some good individual moments versus acting as a cog for the wider team. Hardly un-droppable would be the point I’d make about him. Still pleased with him overall though.

22. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Reece looked good. Got booked early on, which was rather inexperienced of him. but he is strong and he is fast and he hits a mean cross into the box.

That is one of the good thing about them being kids, they are all easy to drop :D the season is long and they can be dropped and they can be subbed and rotated, because they're just bloody lucky to be playing at all

Clan repped this.
  23. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why do (some) managers play 'zonal marking'? It never seems very solid to me? Every time we face a corner I whince inside. I thought it was a pretty mature performance, overall I am pleased how this team is developing.

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  24. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wonder how the approach to marking will develop as the season goes on. Zonal marking is easier to deploy when swapping players in and out, but man marking relies on a more precise relationship knowing when to cover as the opposing player switches position. I can imagine that if, say, we establish a back four of emerson, reece, tomori and rudi, that we will integrate man to man marking. Even with a back 3 of dave/ac, tomori and rudi that understanding will grow with playing time which opens the door for a tighter system.

Not a huge fan of zonal marking but see why it's being used with the team being changed every match. Defending is our biggest area of concern so hope we can improve (which we really should once we have our first choices available and comfortable). Far too pouros at present.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  25. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Our open play defense has improved, is improving in the last 4 matches, I think only the Grimsby sweet goal, after a boo-boo, has been in open play and scouse and Lille can be dangerous sides.

As KDB points out once we get a settled healthy first choice side defense playing together for a stretch, defense should be expected to improve both in set play and further in open play.

And though KDB makes a rational take on the use of zonal marking right now,:eek::D, yes, I still effing hate it, always, and just as much under Lamp as I did under sorri and the fat waiter, for who ever asked about that to me earlier.:mad::mad::mad: