Champions League: Group D - Matchday 3 - October 21, 2009 - Chelsea FC v. Atletico Madrid [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by I-Got-The-BLUES, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, OK then! As long as there's a good reason for it. :)

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Ok, so this is a bit "anti" Chelsea, but not really and I got this from another forum, but i thought it was funny.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qROMT_N3iw&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Chelsea stars reveal they don't like Ashley Cole![/ame]

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :eek::eek::eek: Crazy talk! Truth is, that's what I've been saying for years on Malouda - he seems worse because he's not Robben, when in truth, if he played for a club we didn't often see but popped up on highlights a lot, we might think he would be a really good buy. The same way some people wanted to buy Morten Gamst Pedersen a few years back.

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    in fairness nice and basing this solely on performance Malouda has been below par so although I think you make a fair point in regards to the Robben comparision I hardly think Florent has come close to showing the value for which we paid for him. His latest display at Villa should be proof positive of that. I know he had a nice run of around 20 games under Guus but I still dont see how that covers almost 2 and half years of average to below average performances.

I do agree that its silly to have a team of "game changers" per say as teams need role players to be successful. The Maka and Real situation is a fine example and there does appear to be a role within this team for Malouda- the primary issue I have is that when we need to change the game I dont think he is near the right player for the job yet he continues to remain on the pitch in a largely ineffective manner.

5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Andy I think you make an excellent point, however, I still do believe that we could find a player who would be an upgrade on the attacking end. Funny thing is that he is probably already a member of this squad. ;)

6. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Frank would more or less abuse the fact that he gets put at the tip of the diamond (haven't really seen it recently, to be completely honest I have a hard time keeping track of exactly what position anyone seems to be playing) and shoot his socks off. What we saw yesterday is what makes Frank mine and many other people's absolute favorite player. His passing, his defense, his shooting, everything about him makes him the most complete midfielder in the world.

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I think he had a little more freedom yesterday as Deco didnt seem to be standing on his toes and we seemed to move the ball a lot quicker yesterday.

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    When Mikel gets healthy, Deco should not see the pitch unless it's a nice and warm day in England.

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    quite true, what is frustrating is will we ever find out?

10. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I don't think anyone can make the argument that over the past year Malouda has been anything other than good. He may have had a few mediocre performances thrown in, but overall he has been a good player. So yes, that's not so easy to replace. Is he a game changer? No, of course not - but that's precisely why I'd like someone like that to be purchased. However, for the role he currently fills, he's hardly a poor choice.

11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Random fact, Lampard has now passed Greaves' scoring record for us now. He's number 5 in Chelsea goal scorers.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe that's Malouda's greatest sin... that we got used to Robben on that side and he's a totally different player. Not as good as AR going forward but more inclined to maintain the team's shape which is, of course, partly as a result of the lack of an ability to take people on and go past them, of course.

Also, and partly as a result of his lack of ambition going forward, when he's on form he rarely loses the ball. The thing is the appearance of that 'form' is totally different to how AR looked when HE was on form.
    What... Deco y'mean! yeah, good shout ;) :D

I keeed, I keeed.

No, you're right of course, We might be able to find someone who'd be more effective or play someone we've already got. I was just making the point that Aguero, for instance, was being talked of in glowing terms by people as someone who would come in and wipe the floor with Malouda but, having seen the guy, I can't say I was THAT impressed, tbh. He was good, that's true, but not noticeably better than either Malouda or, frankly, Kalou... not on that form anyway.
    Very impressive I admit but, to be fair, Greaves did it in 4 years instead of 8. Mind you, he was a centre forward not a midfielder.

13. SteelShot

SteelShot Member

Jun 8, 2009
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No, you're right. Kalou did play very well against Atletico. I just don't feel too comfortable when we play teams with a solid defenses.

I'm glad Sturridge played too and that should have been a red!