Champion's League Draw (Beasley, Nguyen, Rossi, Feilhaber, Fearrington, Hangeland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 24, 2006.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Group A
    Barcelona
    Chelsea
    Bremen
    Levski

Group B
    Inter
    Bayern
    Sporting
    Spartak

Group C
    Liverpool
    PSV
    Bordeaux
    Galatasaray

Group D
    Valencia
    Roma
    Olympiacos
    Shakhtar

Group E
    Real Madrid
    Lyon
    Steaua
    Dynamo

Group F
    Manchester United
    Celtic
    Benfica
    Kobenhaven

Group G
    Arsenal
    Porto
    CSKA
    Hamburg

Group H
    AC Milan
    Lille
    AEK Athens
    Anderlecht

A is the clear Group of Death, PSV are ********ed, Hamburg should go through, and AC Milan is the biggest load of BS ever.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Champion's League Draw (Beasley, Nguyen, Rossi, Feilhaber)

PSV's group isnt that bad... whts funny tho... they showed a Beasley goal as the PSV highlight when introducing their pod... Chelsea got ********ed... but they should go thru...

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

PSV may finish 4th.

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Don't forget our Yank at Kobenhaven

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

:eek:

sorry Jamil

6. soccergo9

soccergo9 New Member

Dec 17, 2005

The real bullshit thing is the AC shouldn;t even be in the competition.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

and then they get a free pass into the knock-out stages

8. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Champion's League Draw (Beasley, Nguyen, Rossi, Feilhaber, Jamil Fearrington)

Why do you think Hamburg will go through? Porto aren't nearly as good as under Jose but CSKA are a good side and I'd put them above Hamburg SV at this point. My bet is that its Arsenal and CSKA in the next round with Hamburg in the UEFA cup.

9. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Re: Champion's League Draw (Beasley, Nguyen, Rossi, Feilhaber, Jamil Fearrington)

I dunno, I think C is the group of death, because Galatasaray > Levski. In fact, since Bremen and Hamburg are roughly even, I'd also say Group G is also higher in line for group of death status.

NOTE: I define group of death as most competitive group, and Barca and Chelsea are just too strong, leading to the situation that happened in Group C in the WC. But if simply the most talent in one pool is the issue, I would then go with Group G over group A, with Group C third.

As for group lightweights, Group H is the biggest joke, followed by D and E.

That leaves group B and F as the ones in the middle.

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn, just by the group parings the group stages are going be a be an absolute battle. doesn 't look like anyone has a favorable group, aside from Milan, which is a crock of shit. It doesn't matter who you are, when you get to this stage any of the teams are capable of earning points. Everyone fears going to Old Trafford, Nou camp, ect. but it is just ad tough to travel to places like Athens, Istanbul, Bucarest, Moscow, Kiev, where the travel is long and the fans are just as ruthless.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

I freely admit to never having seen the current CSKA side play before. I was going by reputation of the clubs. I know that Hamburg are considered one of the risiing clubs of Europe.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

have you seen the prices at Emirates?

Unless the rich old people eating their Prawn Sandwiches (no offense to PrawnSandwich) are morphed into hooligans, I'm pretty sure the fans at places like Athens are going to be more intimidating than the ones in Chelsea, Arsenal, Barca, and Madrid. Liverpool and Old Trafford actually keep their prices reasonable

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I laughed.

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least Barcelona won't play Chelsea in the first knockout round now.

15. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA

It's Chelsea. You have to vote Conservative to be allowed into the gates.

You want intimidating, it's not southern Europe (though playing in Italy is always a crap shoot) it's eastern Europe. The big stars in the west aren't used to playing on those crap pitches under high school gridiron lighting with fans shouting at them in very different languages. And, well, not to be crass but planes in Russia, well...

All I have to say about the overall draw is Manchester United got the most favorable draw of any top seed.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Any first-team time or bench appearances for Marc Heider at Bremen this season?

17. Steele

Steele New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Atlanta

Why didn't Chelsea get a top seed?

Chelsea won the EPL ahead of Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Sure, Arsenal made it to the finals in 06 and Liverpool won it in 2005, but Manchester United got knocked out last year before Chelsea and finished behind them in the league.

Is that much emphasis put on past results in the CL even if the results are in the distant past? Or is this simply the G14 trying to hold Chelsea down? Or something else?

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Bingo.

19. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Simple math. It is explained well here.

20. Steele

Steele New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Atlanta

Well at least their is a reason behind it. Not a very good one, but a reason.

Simple math, that fails to produce an accurate result. Manchester United was great in 02/03, which means they are great in 06/07. Chelsea was not very good in 02/03, which means they are not very good in 06/07.

They might as well have added the following ways to win points:

* 1 bonus point for every game where Eric Cantona popped his collar dating while wearing the 93/94 mustard and lime green away jersey.

* 20 points for every year lost to a match fixing scandal (so Juventus doesn't lose their #1 seed)

* -1 un-bonus point for every billion your team owner is worth.

* -1 un-bonus point for every Yank Abroad on roster (another example of UEFA trying to hold the US down) :D

21. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY

I just get pissed off by the draw every year. The 32 team competition format sucks, waters down the group play. That's why I don't care that much. Domestic league play is the best.

22. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago

It doesn't really water down the field. It adds teams that are at least average for the field (like Hamburg and Arsenal).

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

With two mega rich Russian and Ukrainian teams making the group stage, this is the strongest overall group ever, although Juve's absence waters down the top seeds a little. We'll see what Roma can do.

Ah, poor Bremen ...

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

y would they count domestic league play for a UEFA competition? this makes no sense to me... and u say the past? how do u judge a year-long competition w/o the past, but yet u count the previous year's domestic play...

Chelsea should not have been seeded this year... 3 years of Champs League play should not weigh more than squads that have won titles and consistently get to the knockout rounds every year

25. Steele

Steele New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Atlanta

Maybe I'm in the minority on this point of view, but I really don't see why it matters where a team finished 5 years ago. How does a team with a different set of players, speak to the quality of a current team?

UEFA is basically saying, while 99.9% of the population agree that 06/07 Chelsea are one of the best five teams in the world, we feel that due to the fact that 4 and 5 years ago, you were rubbish, you are really the 15th best club for 06/07.

I guess I thought club competition should count because A) that how you qualify for the tournament and B) that is the most recent set of data to base rankings on.

UEFA is basically saying, while 100% of the population agree that 05/06 Chelsea were better than 05/06 Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal we feel that due to the fact that 4 and 5 years ago, you were rubbish, while Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal were not, then 06/07 Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal are really better than 06/07 Chelsea.

I guess my logic is horrible flawed.