Pre-match: Champions League: DC United vs San Juan Jabloteh

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Black.White&Red, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Group B

When:
    Wednesday September 30, 2009 8:00 PM ET
    Where: RFK Stadium
    TV: Fox Soccer Channel
    Radio: 1050 AM WAZA

For more information about group play, etc. here's a link:
    http://www.concacafchampions.com/

After a tough home loss in MLS DC United returns to International competition. Can they continue their winning ways in the Champions League?

I hope Jakovic can go 90 minutes.

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope playing the worst Champions League team at home works out better than playing the worst MLS team (ok, second worst) at home worked out yesterday :(

We need to attack, attack, attack, and then .... attack.

3. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Jakovic (yellows), John (yellows), and Moreno (red) are suspended for the match.

While I really have no idea which players will be selected and among those which players will actually put in a good effort; it's a bit strange to think that United is in a better positions for CCL than making MLS playoffs.

4. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Thanks for the info.

Yes it is strange, considering that DC United were not taking the CCL seriously.

5. reefa

reefa New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    VA
    As long as it's "the the right blend of guys on the field."

6. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    after yesterdays debacle, I say we go all out on wednesday.....CCL knowckout stage is in a lot better position than the playoffs right now. WE HAVE TO WIN saturday to have any chance, but wednesday, we win were in pretty much. so all out wed.

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu

Agreed. It's probably the only way that DC United won't have ridiculously long off-seasons 2 years in a row.

8. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the most important game for us left IMO. If we win we'll likely advance or at least be in a great position to. To be honest I've given up any hope of us winning the cup, but I'd love to see us with a shot at winning the Champions League next season. At the very least it will be fun to have a high stakes game against a top level Mexican opponent to kick off next season.

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My line up.

---------------------------Kocic(wicks if he can play)----------------

Vaughn------------James----------------Jakovic-----------Wallace

-------------------------------Simms------------------------------
    Olsen---------------------------------------------------Quaranta
    ------------------------------Gomez-------------------------------

-----------------------------------------Pontius------------------
    -----------------------------Emilio--------------------------------

- If namoff is ok, i hope he starts for Vaughn, but i like Vaughn's touch, he seems like a decent pick up for a guy that is average.

I put benny on the right, because we need him on the field anytime we can get him there. This game his presence will be felt better compared to vs. SJ. The game play will be slower, and touch and passing will presumably be played on the ground like it was vs. SJ Jabolteh away.

EMilio needs more time to score, and get his confidence back, even though I really think he isnt great, if there is a team he can get his confidence up against, it is vs. these guys, they are a lazy laid back team from the carribean, this is a team we cna blow out the water if tommy can 'fire' our guys up.

Gomez played well vs. them, so this too can do what it did for emilio.

Pontius has been playing well, and can play up top along side emilio and hopefully bury a goal too.

Quaranta IMO from this point forward will always belong in the midfield, he isnt a forward, and should nevef be played up front as long as pontius and i'd even say boyzzz are ok to play up top. He is a solid wing midfielder, with his long passing and work rate, he just needs to slow it down a little, as he is always trying to force it, and sometimes playing a little too pacy where our guys arent where his long passes go.

Jakovic to our backline is what we need right now, he brings calm and presence when he gets the ball, and can calmly distribute it out the back to our midfield when needed, his touch and holding/turning on the ball is above average for a central defender, i hope we can keep him for a while..... screw you europe!!

With that said, Hopefully we take home 3 points like we should have vs. SJ...

I am wiht you on this also, We def. don't deserve to win the MLS cup the wya we've been playing, and i'd put more importance on this game, as we have a chance at really succeeding and having a good break time between the next round and now.

Enough time for our FO to regroup, and bring in some needed reinforcements.

10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand Jacovic is out for this match for card accumulation.

11. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
  12. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    is tom soehn still coaching?

yes? then no, qualifying to the next round isn't a sure thing

concacaf needs to step up, like right now, and not be a bunch of greedy sh!ts

13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I can't see any scenario where this game is played this week.

Most likely, it'll be rescheduled for a later date. That was the case with Houston/Pachuca and the hurricane last year. I could also imagine Toluca forfeiting knowing that they'll crush DC on the last matchday. But imagine the hysterics if they didn't. God, that would be awesome.

Having said that, the Mexicans are on shaky political ground. Remember the drama when several South American teams refused to play Mexican teams in the Libertadores (or was it Sudamerica?) at the height of the swine flu media frenzy.

14. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    so how hard will FIFA come down on them for not playing a match.
    This is not good at all and sends a bad precidence. Yes I understand the shit going on down there, BUT there is a match with HUGE complications that can't be brushed to the side.
    What will CONCACAF do? this really sucks for us if they let them give up 3 points as it will make us pretty much have to win in Toluca (which isnt happening)
    ahhhh, what a crappy way to end the year
    1 gk, 3 points forfieted, and a coach who doesnt know who to play.

15. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It was the libertadores, and the teams that pulled are in the next round of next years copa libertadores as a result. I dont know how they will handle it if they refuse to go... I hope they decide to go to Honduras... If not... we may be screwed.

If they do do this, i hope concacaf messes em' up, like making sure they can't go to the next round unless they play, because forfeiting would cause us a problem, and i am sure our club will complain directly to FIFA.

16. Toluca needs no to lose vs Marathon for 7 goals to qualify. So, if they forfeit and get the usual 0-2 they qual for the second round... :eek: . Also, the Brazilians are reporting a chemical attack to their embassy, things can get ugly soon (I hope not).

17. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. 1 person likes this.
  19. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid is eligible to play in the CCL, but not in MLS matches. Since we need wins in both competitions to stay alive, I would expect Tommy to play our best available keeper in both matches. Hamid may be a great talent, but he's never played a minute in a pro match, so I have to believe Kocic gets the nod Wednesday. But if he sucks, or worse, gets injured, then we are stuck with a pool keeper against Chivas. So one possibility is to role the dice with Hamid against SJJ and go with Kocic against Chivas. So what decision will our crackerjack staff make when the lineup for the SJJ match is announced?

21. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    If he sucks, then maybe the pool keeper won't be any worse....:rolleyes:

Just searching for that ray of sunshine.

22. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I'm not sure I understand. Why would you not play Kocic in both?

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be my plan 100%. Kocic suddenly really needs some extra higher-level playing time, and this is a good game for it, and he gets to keep his (hopefully) confidence up for a quick game again Saturday.
    If we were playing done there on their bumpy surface and were worried about injury, that'd be another thing. But the pitch at RFK isn't dangerous, just ugly as hell.

24. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree.

25. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would play Kocic in both and I'm sure that's what will be done. It's just that the freak accident to Wicks might get management thinking that they might not want to risk losing their backup goalie (Kocic) to injury when they have a talent (Hamid) eligible to play.