Champions league and Europa league thread (General)

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by wilson00, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Depends on which angle you see it. One of the better angles on my replay showed him even and the match commentators agreed that he was not off sides.

2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Show both videos then, please.

Not that it really matters anyways, because calls like this never get reversed

3. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Looks like Robben was again missed.welcome to EPL Pep. To be continued

4. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    2 PK"s both not scored, but wow what the hell with that atletico PK? From first realtime viewing to slowed down different angles replays, obviously not in the penalty box.

I'm all for giving ref's alot of slack, and i've almost never seen a game where a player makes less mistakes than the ref, but when it comes to the penalty box we clearly need camera assistance imo. We might actually finally get rid of the what should be yellow/red card hurricane fest which is every free/corner kick aimed at the box.

5. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ahh so I guess PSV pushed Atleti further in their matches than either Barca or Bayern did in theirs o_O :ROFLMAO:

Orange14 repped this.
  6. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OK there goes pellegrini and Man City out of CL. Looks like there will be major rehaul when Pep comes in.I wonder if the announcement of Pep to take over Pellegrini had any effect on their campaign leading to the title challenge especially.

Would be interesting to see which players depart onces Pep comes in and which players stay.

Also hear both Everton and Arsenal are weighing up their options to bring in Ronald Koeman as their next coach.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yaya Toure is going for sure and he already announced that. Their whole back four need to be overhauled because of age or persistent injury. They don't have the quick handling midfield that Guardiola prefers Other than Aguero they don't have any real scoring threats. With an almost infinite amount of money, Guardiola probably can bring in a lot of players but I think his style of play is no longer surprising and it will be more difficult to implement in the EPL where a rougher style of play is permitted than either Germany or Spain. I don't see him having great success there but I was also wrong about Donald Trump.

8. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow,Liverpool through to the EL final. Not much of a suprise given the game was at Anifield. They did pretty well in the first leg only to conceed late in injury time.Should be a good final given this is the third consecutive time Sevilla has reached the EL Final.

M putting my money on pool

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I always enjoy watching Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool have been a fave of mine for a long time. I hope they win and gain the CL spot.

10. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OK with some of the leagues finishing competition last week let's see what's in store for CL and EL

Direct CL Group stage

England- Leicester, Arsenal,Tottenham
    Bundasliga-Bayern,Dortumnd,Leverkusan
    Series A- Juventus,Napoli
    La Liga- Barcelona,Real,Atletico Madrid
    Ligue 1- PSG,Lyon
    Primiera Liga- Benefica,Sporting
    Eredivisie- PSV
    Belgian Pro League- Club Brugge
    Turkish Super League- Besiktas
    Russian Premier League- CSKA Moscow?
    Ukrainian Premier League- Dynamo Kyiv.

Best Qualification as per association coefficient

Man City
    Borussia Monchengladbach
    Roma
    Villarreal
    Porto

I'm not sure about shakhtar Donetsk here as they have better club co officient then Roma,Monchengladbach and Villarreal. as per association coefficient it should be as per above.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Liverpool unlucky not to have had to PKs on hand balls. Now they are trailing 3-1 and need another miracle like against Milan in 2005.

12. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ah too bad.
    Would have been hilarious if they won and thus qualified for the CL instead of Man City sitting on 4th.. lucky this time Pep!

The EPL will be crazy next season with neither Liverpool and Chelsea playing in Europe at all, and both likely spending to add to their squads.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think England would have five teams in the CL just as Spain had five this past year.

14. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Aha then it must have changed since Chelsea did it to Spurs in 11/12 or so..

15. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Funny that only PSV has been the only team who has been able to keep a clean sheet v Atletico in the CL, and they did it over 2 legs!
    Not that they'd have been able to beat both Barca and Bayern to get a Real Madrid final haha

16. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    • Champions League route 2 qualfiers
    Ajax (NED) v PAOK (GRE)
    Sparta Praha (CZE) v Steaua București (ROU)
    Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) v Young Boys (SUI)
    Rostov (RUS) v Anderlecht (BEL)
    Fenerbahçe (TUR) v Monaco (FRA)

Entering in play-off round
    Manchester City (ENG)
    Porto (POR)
    Villarreal (ESP)
    Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER)
    Roma (ITA)

17. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pot 1: Real Madrid (ESP, holders), Barcelona (ESP), Leicester City (ENG), Bayern München (GER), Juventus (ITA), Benfica (POR), Paris Saint-Germain (FRA), CSKA Moskva (RUS)

Pot 2: Atlético Madrid (ESP), Borussia Dortmund (GER), Arsenal (ENG), Manchester City (ENG), Sevilla (ESP), Porto (POR), Napoli (ITA), Bayer Leverkusen (GER)

Pot 3: Basel (SUI), Tottenham Hotspur (ENG), Dynamo Kyiv (UKR), Lyon (FRA), PSV Eindhoven (NED), Sporting CP (POR), Club Brugge (BEL), Mönchengladbach (GER)

Pot 4: Celtic (SCO), Monaco (FRA), Beşiktaş (TUR), Legia Warszawa (POL), Dinamo Zagreb (CRO), Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL), København (DEN), Rostov (RUS)

CL pots.look at pot 2.must say one of the teams from from pot 1 will be sweating after the stage draw.

18. One?

Orange14 repped this.
  19. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Tough draw for PSV. They can avenge Rostov for Ajax, avenge Atletico for last year in order to have a chance. Group A, B, E and G may be a better draw for PSV.

upload_2016-8-25_11-17-9.png

20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Group G is a joke

Orange14 repped this.
  21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    When was the last time a Dutch club ever got a favorable CL draw?:(

bunbohue repped this.
  22. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Last year.

23. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #98 Antario2, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    I think Bayern won't be too happy either, they will face three teams that will all sit back and counter.

Also I just hate it how teams from the same league can't be in the same group. Such a massive advantage for teams from the top 4 leagues.

24. I just saw the second half (with my attention on my spreadsheets) of West Ham
    Un. vs ? . What a joke these teams are. We complain about our midfielders, but when you look at matches like this you wonder how on earth do you spend all that money on quality deprived players.

Orange14 repped this.
  25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Quite right! How quickly I forget things that are not Ajax related.