Champions league and Europa league thread (General)

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by wilson00, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    AZ with a dreadful start. I've never seen Stengs and Koopmeiners play worse. They have been awful so far. Going to need a big hour to get out of this mess

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, they are. I was a little premature with my earlier post. It's entirely possible for AZ to finish third in the group as they have to play ManU at Old Trafford on the final match day.

3. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    #603 venema20, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Holy crap AZ play awful but get a miracle win somehow with ten men

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Absolutely awful until Boadu got sent off and then they shift into top gear. Amazing performance. Cruiff once said that playing against 10 is always dangerous for the team up a man as you get over confident. AZ are now through into the final 32 regardless of what happens in Manchester. The can top the group with a win but Boadu is suspended for that match.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Feyenoord draw but have a faint hope of progressing if they defeat Porto and Rangers beat Young Boys. Any other result and they are out of Europe.

7. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    PSV give up the early goal with terrible defending. Who would have guessed that lol. Their defence is so bad

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    PSV digging themselves into an AZ like hole, down 2-0 in 15 minutes.

9. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Van Bommel has to be sacked

10. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Watched the extended highlight AZ match... looked like a great escape. What a comeback! Boadu’s two yellow cards were complete brainfarts (good lessons for him!), but I guess it didn’t matter in the end as AZ pulled through the group with one match to spare. AZ are truly quite a story this season!! Hope they go far...

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  11. They got that "if it can't be done beautiful we'll do it ugly" mentality.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  12. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I really do love watching them play. PSV should be fun to watch but Van Bommel ruins it. Such a disappointing year with the talent they have. And hopefully Feyenoord can pull off a miracle on matchday six. Was hoping all four teams would make it through to the next round

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Luukinho scored lots of late goals over the last two seasons and Lozano was a key player. their absence has doomed PSV this season.

14. https://www.ad.nl/europees-voetbal/...e-en-turkije-definitief-van-zich-af~a0776b47/
    Coëfficiëntenlijst: Nederland schudt Oekraïne en Turkije definitief van zich af

Het moet wel heel raar lopen wil Nederland aan het einde van dit seizoen niet in de top tien van de UEFA-coëfficiëntenranglijst staan, dat is na de Europese week inmiddels wel zeker. Nederland bezet op dit moment de negende plaats met 34.950 punten, maar heeft zelfs nummer acht België in het vizier. De coëfficiëntenranglijst bepaalt hoeveel deelnemers een land mag afvaardigen in Europa. De kampioen van ons land plaatst zich daarmee weer rechtstreeks voor de Champions League.

Sportredactie 29-11-19, 14:08

15. Onana could be out of the crucial Valencia match with a hamstring. Was in hospital for a MRI scan.

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Where did he pick this injury up, in training??

17. Yup, during training he went to the hospital.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Last season Ajax were almost totally injury free. de Ligt missed the first PSV match but otherwise everyone was pretty much healthy. Different story this season. Ajax have more depth but losing key starters is a real problem. Both keepers may miss tomorrow's match as Cillessen was subbed off on Saturday.

19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  20. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Missing Promes is bad. Leading scorer and has really been growing into his role at Ajax.

21. Move Ziyech to the left and that is fixed. Just look at the formation used last season against Real in the front and midfield. Only one adjustment needed from that one.

22. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    But then without Neres...
    Losing Promes is bad but doable... but losing both Neres, Promes and even the backup Labyad is really rough. Without Neres or Promes we have no speed or width.
    This reminds me of last season when Neres got injured so we had to flip our entire formation forcing us to put in a terrible Dolberg. This year due to the added depth with Promes we can manage without Neres.... but not if we also lose Promes.

We are gonna really really need Noa Lang to step up. Ziyech will have to step to the wing along with Lang on the other side and our midfield will have to have the less football-effective blok of Alvarez and Martinez. I’m nervous about this, I have a bad feeling about the game. I already did, but now even moreso. This is a position we did not deserve to be in, and now it will be a huge test to go against all odds and still make it out...

23. You could put Dest there. He started as a winger in YAjax and has speed. Added bonus he's quite some distance away from the back line.