Champions League 2020/21 [R]

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by juventino13, Sep 18, 2020.

1. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Haaland's market value is at least double that.

2. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I think we're in a tough spot because Ronaldo will be making the call. The club won't force him out given the fact that he does provide the team a lot in terms of its commercial appeal; and it isn't as if he sucks--he's still our top goal-scorer.

But so long as he's here, if the idea is to bring in guys like Chiesa, Kulu, McKennie, Morata, etc. to play an exciting, uptempo style, it simply isn't going to happen when you have Ronaldo doing nothing in terms of pressing the opposing defenders and goalkeepers. You will have the same disjointed football lacking in fluidity.

usnroach and juveeer repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #878 falvo, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    I doubt anyone will pay €200 in today's world.

4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Do you know what PSG paid for Neymar?

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That was Pre-covid. Its a different world and market than it was in 2017.

6. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I would guess that at some time within the next year, we will have fans back in stadiums--and it's not as if the TV money has gone away. A club with very deep pockets like City or PSG will absolutely pay that money this summer or next when I'd anticipate Haaland moving on from Dortmund.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dortmund is a good club but never been a Bayern. They could definitely use transfer money. As far as opening up the stadia to fans, not so sure. Just this week I spoke to my relatives in Italy, France and England and they are all saying the same thing . The virus is pretty bad and things really aren't loosening up all that much. I think it will be a very slow comeback for the fans. Maybe they will allow 10,000 spread out but I don't see that much more right away.

8. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

it makes a difference for sure. if we had verratti and barella we would be champions league favourites this year! are you suggesting our foreign crap we have now at midfield is better than those two?

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #884 falvo, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    What they should do is go back to basics and try and develop or recapture what Italians most important traits are or rather the development of goalkeepers and defenders. Italy and Juve has traditionally always had the best defenders and GK's in the world and I'm sure they can get that back if more time was devoted to development. Its sad that they are buying defenders and GK's from abroad as they were never needed before as Italy always had the best. It’s pretty difficult to believe they always existed and now all of a sudden everything stopped in 2010.

juveeer repped this.
  10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first three seasons are on HBOMax, the rest of the series will be on it as well.

juveeer repped this.
  11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except EXOR can't just dump money in for a transfer, when they made the investment last time it will split up amongst a number of things, paying debt, operational costs, players, etc.

Juve's not Inter, Inter can do what they want because they have a sugar daddy funding them, one that looks like is broke now.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haaland has a release clause of €100 million that won't come into effect until June 2022. Until then Dortmund can ask for a ton more for him since they don't need to sell him or worry about someone purchasing his release clause. It also gives them plenty of time to renegotiate a contract with him that inserts a higher release clause. I don't see any time signing Haaland this summer.

gumbacicc repped this.
  13. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    You didn't get my point. I said nationality doesn't matter. Quality does.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #889 falvo, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    I don't see Haaland coming this summer but I do see him moving to a bigger club within the next 2-3 years. He was an unknown until last year and has no Euro, World Cups , Europa or CL medals to speak of as of yet.

Norway hasn't qualified for the Euro for this year and it remains to be seen if they will make the WC in 2022. looking at their record, I doubt he will do much for them as they haven't had a WC since 1998. He still is only 20 years old and isn't in the same boat as Neymar was in 2017.

Still, if I were in charge of a club, he would be in my long terms plans for projected signings for the next 3-4 years. Everyone wants a goal scorer.

15. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Thanks. I was wondering why it never appeared on Netflix.

Dante repped this.
  16. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Money Is Fungible........

You saw what they did when they decided to make the CR7 move.

17. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And we're seeing the consequences of making that move

juveeer and scirea6 repped this.
  18. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The people who say we need more italians on the team are the same ones who scoff at the idea of Americans at Juve or other top clubs.

It is a nice idea to have an "Italian core" at Juve, but up until recently, "foreigners" were the better players (outside of the ones that were already at Juventus). The only reason outside of sporting ones to which I like having Italians on the team is because they normally don't look to move on and will stay long term. Juve is the pinnacle most of the time. Not United, Citeh, Real, Barca, etc.

It's not like Juve haven't tried. We wasted money on Rugani, Bernadeschi, Perin, Sturaro, Giovinco, and De Sciglio.

Dante repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #894 falvo, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    I think if the current national team obtains good results in this summers Euros and if they qualify for the next World Cup and do well, Juve may end up buying a few of them.

There are only four players from Juve along with Leonardo Bonucci and Giorgio Chiellini in the current pool and they are both way past their prime. Chiesa was with Fiorentina at the beginning of the season and if it weren't for the post will have had a hat trick against Porto. No one really thought he would be at Juve last year this time and I'm sure as he emerged, others will also.

The rest other than Francesco Caputo, are very young and up and coming. If they perform well, Juventus will most likely buy them as they have always been at the forefront for fielding top Italian national team players. I think its a matter of giving them time and a chance to shine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    You're never going to get the Italians that are good enough to be playing for Juve at this juncture because we missed when we had the opportunity to buy them. Verratti is worth a ton. They should have bought Barella the year we brought in Rabiot and Ramsey instead. You're not paying Milan 100M or some crazy figure for Donnarumma. At least we have Chiesa. We were going to make a play for the kid from Roma but he got hurt again.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That could change over the next two international tournaments though as other, younger , unknown players could emerge. No one knows who will be coming out and the new rules that were put in place could make Italian players stronger within the next 4-5 years.

Interestingly, unlike years past, we will be having a Euro and a World Cup in successive years. It happens in South America where the Copa America and World Cup is played sometimes on a yearly basis but I don't think it is has ever happened in Europe. I have faith in Mancini to put on good tournaments Juve will most definitely be ready to buy the better players.

22. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Locatelli, Pessina, Zaccagni, Castrovilli would all be upgrades on our shitty midfield and wouldn't cost $100MIL. Well I would have loved Barella.. i don't think we had a chance with him being such an inter fan so im not as upset on that one.

With Alex Sandro struggling and having to play Berna out of position at LB... we had so many opportunities to keep a Pellegrini or Spinazzola but no. the direction of the club is clear once the new logo emerged. Trying to be a global club and overpay for foreign shitty players for name recognition.

23. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    we're not talking about comparing whether to buy Arthur or buy Sturaro. Quality does count to a certain extent. I'm arguing.. if the players we have are shit.. eg. our midfield. Why overspend for the foreign crap when you can easily have italians in there.

Do you seriously believe that intangibles don't play a part in squad construction and that the best teams are the collection of the 11 best individual quality players they can have? So then why did Porto beat us? surely we have more quality starting than them.

24. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Locatelli is the only player you mention that is good enough to play for Juve regularly and I hope we get him. I agree we should have kept Spinazzola. The other players are unproven and, at best, they wouldn't be regular contributors.

The club isn't making a conscious effort to overpay for anyone, be it an Italian player or otherwise.

usnroach repped this.
  25. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Because the Italians aren't cheap. Inter had to pay Barella's transfer fee. We didn't have to pay a transfer fee on Rabiot and Ramsey.

Intangibles are important, but have nothing to do with nationality. You don't think players like Platini, Nedved and Thuram had "intangible" qualities that made them indispensable at Juve?