Champions League 06/07

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Rewinder, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I feel we should start a thread dedicated to our part in the CL. Before we begin, lets thank Sp*rs for once again playing their roll to the full extent, ensuring that we were in this for the 9th consecutive time. To all spuds, a big round of applause!

Now for the groups

Group A

Barcelona
    Chelsea
    Werder Bremen
    Levski Sofia

Group B

Inter
    Bayern
    Sporting
    Spartak Moscow

Group C

Liverpool
    PSV Eindhoven
    Bordeaux
    Galatassaray

Group D

Valencia
    AS Roma
    Olympiacos
    Shaktar Donestk

Group E

Real Madrid
    Lyon
    Steaua Bucuresti
    Dynamo Kiev

Group F

Manchester United
    Celtic
    Benfica
    Copenhagen

Group G

Arsenal
    Porto
    CSKA Moscow
    Hamburg

Group H

AC Milan
    Lille
    AEK Athens
    Anderlecth

Possible matchups for us in the second round should we finish first, are all easy games - assuming milan walk through group H. The quarter final round is against group E/F contenders I think, meaning we will be in for a tough round against either Real, ManU or Lyon.

I'm expecting at least quarter finals or better this year, and its definately achievable. Perhaps another CL final is on the cards for us this year. Our group is a lot tougher than last year, but we definately have what it takes to go far in europe this season with last season's 4-5-1 revelation.

2. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we got a pretty tough draw the good news is that we are the top team in the group so I don't see 2 other teams being able to top us.
    If Bayern or Lyon were in our group I would be much more concerned.

3. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I disagree. I really think we'll struggle. Moscow are a good side and away we will be lucky to get a point. Home we'll beat them. Hamburg could be 2 draws and Porto could easily beat us away. I think that this is possibly one of the hardest groups to come through. Chelsea's isn't as we know them and Barca will get through.

4. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. But do you think that 2 other teams will manage to get more than 9 points, assuming your worst case scenario.

I have a tough time seeing us only get 1 point on the road.

I certainly don't think we'll dominate the group by any stretch. I just don't think that 2 other teams will score more points than us.

Chelsea's problem is Werder Bremen. That is a very good squad that could give them a lot of trouble. And if Barca takes one slot that means that Chelsea needs to topple Bremen and since Levski isn't likely to get more than a point or two those points are almost a wash.

5. Bucks Gunner

Bucks Gunner Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Tough group. I certainly hope that we don't get Moscow away in November or December. Porto will be tough home and away. Hamburg is a team on the rise.

6. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't get Moscow in December since there is a rule that makes sure that neither of the Moscow teams play the december game at home.

7. i404

i404 Member

Apr 19, 2006
    .ca - .de - .hr
    They've been on the rise for a while and I really hope they don't spoil this years CL for Arsenal.

8. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    agreed. but this certainly is the group of death. arsenal plays decent football and they should progress to the knock-outs.

just wanna see chelsea get knocked out.

9. Realwood

Realwood Member

Feb 11, 2004
    FC Dallas, Tucson
    It could have been worse. Porto is an easy No. 2 seed. Both Hamburg and CSKA scare me though.

I was really hoping to avoid HSV since I've recently adopted them.

I think Werder will knock out either Chelsea or Barca.

10. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    so by struggling... you mean that porto, hamburg, and moscow are better or equal sides to us?
    let me get this right rick, you think hamburg would be a top 4 team in england? porto? i know cska would struggle for midtable.
    this just sounds like a jaded fan. (or someone who went to kiev and watched THAT performance).

11. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what usually defines a group of death is the power of the 3 & 4th pot teams. If you use the UEFA coef for the last two teams in each group, on paper we have the second easiest group.
    a 78.976
    b 76.037
    c 81.391
    d 77.364
    e 83.158
    f 68.126
    g 73.464
    h 78.568
    Of course, this misses the rising nature of the teams we're facing and it doesn't factor in the decline of Porto from the team that lifted the CL trophy. I'd say we actually have one of the more difficult groups to predict. I'm really looking forward to the first CL game.

12. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. WayneRooneyIsFat

WayneRooneyIsFat New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    NYC, NY
    Too bad sperz couldn't get their sh!t together.

(yes, it took me four months to think of that joke)

Anyway, I think it's a tough group in the sense that any of the 3 teams can beat us if we're having an off day (i.e. no Anderlechts). But on the plus side we avoided all the worst cases (Chelsea-Lyon-BM from pot 2, Bremen-Benfica from pot 3). We're clearly the best team in the group.

Could be better, could be worse. We should advance but certainly won't run the table.

14. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I'm happy with this group. It's not Group H, but I would be very surprised if Arsenal do not advance - we should run the table at home and pick up several points away. Colour me pleased.

15. goonerj

goonerj New Member

May 2, 2006
    I think we will finish the group with 10 points, tied with Hamburg but we will top it on goal differential.

16. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Like I said in the other thread, this is not such an easy group....CSKA and HSV are very hard to play at home and Porto are recent CL winners, and althoug they are missing many of those winning players, are still a force to be reckoned with.

I think its going to be a pretty tight group.

17. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Anyone esle think Sibneft will be announceing another large sponsorship deal with CSKA just in time for them to pick up a few players?

18. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    second that.....
    i am particularly mindful of HSV - very tough and well coached side...

does anyone else wonder of how the hell did AC Milan score such an easy group?

19. VaVaVoomTiti

VaVaVoomTiti New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    New York City
    As i learned living in Italy, good things happen to Milan in Europe off the pitch, similar to how good things happen to Juventus in Italy(until now hehe)...

20. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think our group is a bit of a b!tch!:eek:

Hamburg has some great player like Kompany, van der Vaart, De Jong, etc and they are a strong side.
    CSKA and any other Russian side is a bugger to play at their home.
    Of the three opposition, Porto is the one I'm least worried about!

But then again, to be the best, you have to beat the best, so bring them on...

21. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ahem....Berlusconi's pocket is a bottomless one

22. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know when are the fixtures are going to be announced?

23. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    Had we drawn anyone but Hamburg, we'd have been thinking this was the easiest group.

Porto was my hope for the second pot (not the same team that won 3 years ago). CSKA are are certainly a bottom half of pot 3 team.

Hamburg, who knows, clearly strongest group four team, but it could've been alot worse.

ask Chelsea.

24. sienna

sienna Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hamburg (A) 13 Sept
    Porto (H) 26 Sept
    CSKA (A) 17 Oct
    CSKA (H) 1 Nov
    Hamburg (H) 21 Nov
    Porto (A) 6 Dec

25. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think we have one of the hardest groups. CSKA Moscow will be tough in Moscow...a draw will be a great result for us. Underestimating FC Porto or HSV would be a really dumb idea, both clubs are solid. Clearly, we are the best club of the group, but it will be some tough work to advance. I know the lads will really have to dig deep, but they should advance.