CHAMPION of CHAMPIONS Cristiano Ronaldo Thread. Part CR7

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by GoodDead, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]
    2007/08 Champions League Champion
    2007/08 Premier League Champion

2007/08 BPL: Player of the Year, Golden Boot Winner
    2007/08 ESM Golden Boot Winner.
    2007/08 Champions League Golden Boot Winner

31 League Goals
    8 Champions League Goals
    3 FA Cup Goals

42 Goals Total.

He doesn't score in big games? He's never scored vs Chelsea? Critics bow down to the World Player of the Year.

2. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Re: CHAMPION of CHAMPIONS Cristiano Ronaldo Thread PT. CR7

And top-scorer in the CL.

3. O Cigano

O Cigano New Member

Sep 9, 2007

But they'll all come back with the fact that he missed in the shootout.

4. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/noticia.php?id=954869&div_id=1488

Final da Liga dos Campeões: Ronaldo foi o melhor em campo

5. chicaCR7

chicaCR7 New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    NY

LORD have MERCY!!!!
    Ronaldo just went through Essien like he wasn't even there, he double, triple, quadruple step-over him, & completely took his chance with a beautiful header! First it was he doesnt score in the CL, falls too much, his freekicks are always in the wall, not enough goals, not good english, he has not scored against Liverpool, Chelsea, and does not showe up on "big" games! Hes top scorer in CL, in Premier League, scored against Liverpool, now Chelsea, tore up Chelsea's defence tonight, some class passes inside the box (like the one to Tevez who had the header saved by Cech) & tonight he not only did his Winger Role perfectly, but he Tracked back ALL the time! By the time we got to extra time, he was completely exhausted, and this is why we don't see him track back a lot 1. Counter attack and 2. deffinetly for the fact that when he tracks back like that he just loses too much energy & that can take him out of the game!

I remeber once when my uncle told me his team played at 11:00pm, he said they all just waited for the time to come the whole day & when it came they all felt sleepy lmao! His teammates would go like man Im sleepy, and they completely were not in the game & lost it lol! I just think its too much pressure on the player & finishing a game at 2am it requires a lot of mental/physical strength & Manchester United kept it cool & won :pwoop woop!

When Ronaldo came to take the pen & took that looong stop I knew Cech was going to guess the right way & my heart just stopped until Terry slipped & missed lol!

NOW.... CARVALHO??????? WTF was that??? Bad, terrible, stupid tackle on Ronaldo, did he wana break his leg??? Ok I was upset for a min but I love Carvalho thank goodness noiing bad happened!!

So.... Ronaldo is AMAZING!! Ohh and I really liked the commercial on ESPN showing the tricks/stepovers of Figo, Ronaldo, Simao & the other players during the Euro 04 & says "GET READY TO DANCE WITH THE PORTUGUESE":D

6. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

this man seriously just completed one of the greatest seasons a club player has ever put together

hopefully more success comes for Portugal this euro.

but jesus christ he had to give the ronaldo haters some hope with that PK miss, although it didnt matter in the end he scored a nice goal and was manchester's best player out there on the night imho.

and good dead relax from calling him world player of the year, if portugal does crap in euro it can easily go to another player im sure uefa will use any excuse it can.. 2 portuguese players winning the award in the same decade probably will bother them.

7. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ

Wow nice game, CR the best player for sure. Eventhough he missed the PK I really had a feeling VDS was going to pull through. All the missed chances almost bit them in the foot. Nice to see 2 Sporting products win the CL.

Did anyone catch Nani after the PK, the blood creeping down the side of his face from the head collision late in ET, now that's passion.

8. chicaCR7

chicaCR7 New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    NY

haha, come on it makes it a little spicer! The haters NO MATTER what will always say something, so there is no need to bother wit them!
    Now Ronaldo's pk miss will deff. be in da back of his mind & he will be angry & its a good motivation before the Euro! I mean, when Terry missed I started yelling like crazy "there IS A GOD in this world and justice does exist" lol bc after all Ronaldo has achieved this season it would be hell for him to get blamed for the miss if we had lost! But lady luck was on our side :)
    Now the critics will have something to hang on after they have nothing else to say, but its cool!
    If Ronaldo doesn't win the Balon de oro, then its really stupid,
    and knowing Fifa he still might not get the best player of the year award if he doesnt have a good Euro campaign, well then to heck with all of them, Ronaldo will be even hungrier until he gets that damm award!

9. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

If Portugal can win euro 2008 ill say to hell with it, ronaldo = best ive ever seen period the things hes done in this season have been insane but lets see how the seleccao fares in the euro.. man united is no stranger to success but portugal sure is.

10. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007

Just want to say CONGRATS RONNY!!!! Wow what a performance. Just one thing though, I don't want him taking a penalty under an intense prssure situation again. Other than that YEEEEEEEEEAH I'm ecstatic for him.

11. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002

European Player of the year for an excellent season. But ...maybe, FIFA player of the year....he had a fantastic English/European season.

But not the "best player in the world". He is not that, not yet.
    Cristiano Rondaldo does not make me think of Pele, does not make me think of Maradonna, does not make me think he is like Johan Cruyff, he is not Beckenbauer, He is not even Ronaldinho of Brazil who is a current/contemporary.

he is not yet a George Weah, and not yet a Ruud Gullit.

He is a good player like a George Best, CR is a fantastic and dynamic winger. Forget the names above, he has just arrived at one fantastic season. There is debate that he is not even a better player than KAKA. Lionel Messi is as dynamic and as entertaining as Cristiano Ronaldo. Messi actually makes his team better, think about that in soccer. Lionel Messi makes his team not just himself but the players around him more dangerous to the opponents, specially so in the final third. Ronaldo still has to convince us that he is better than the players that exist today before he can wear the crown "Best soccer player in the World". There ar probaly 5-15 players on his level but he just happened to have had a fantastic season. Good for him, he deserves all the awards he gets. But not the title that the legends above have earned and made the world believe without doubts.

12. Messi-ah

Messi-ah Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN

But not the "best player in the world". He is not that, not yet.

wow, everybody is going to unleash on you in here!
    haha,
    i see what you are saying, but you gotta hand it to ronnie,
    he played well. they have the double, the english league is right now the best league in the world. what more do you want? Who is your world player of the year then? I think it is appropriate, just like Kaka last year.
    But you might have a good point about not making players around him better.
    good arguement, i cant wait to see what people say to your blog.

congrats ronnie!
    figo was much older when he got his first CL.
    and ronnie is only 23!?

13. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Ronaldo does make players around him better, i watched almost all the games this season most the time he gives a pass and someone else misses the shot all the time, just like it happened today in the game a couple of times.

anyways you are right, he doesnt make me think of ronaldinho or kaka and im glad he doesnt he is his own player and these other plaeyrs never scored 42 goals in a season and win the CL and EPL so he has accomplished things other legends havent, even maradona never got to win a CL. BTW ppl look at ronaldinho like he is some kind of myth but already Ronaldo is fairly comparable with his legacy.. if ronaldo was brazilian he would of won a world cup either. Ronaldo hasnt yet hit his peak, he still is improving as a player and I think he can get better as a player it will be interesting to see how he plays next season but Euro 2008 comes first and hopefully he can play well then.

Ronaldo is already one of the legends of the current generation but he will have to keep it up and improve himself if he wants to be an all time legend and I think he will do that in the future.

as for the world player of the year award... well if 2008 was not a euro year I would say that anyone who doesnt vote for him at the fifa ceremony should be buried alive. countless players have won the award doing much less including Kaka who's team came 3rd or 4th in seria A last season but won based on his CL performances, ronaldo 2008 topped that.

BTW you said Ronaldo had 1 fantastic season, he has actually had 2. last season he lead his team to a EPL title and CL semi final and scored 23 goals and had over 20 assists (more assists then this season but less goals) and was voted in the top 3 by fifa behind kaka and messi and #2 by france football (Ballon Dor) behind Kaka... so. this season ronaldo was already in theory among the top 3 in the world, judging by what happened in the club season he moved up to #1 in the world for the current moment but we got euro 2008 still. and ronaldo has to keep working hard and improving becasue he still has room for improvement as i said and I think he will get better because every season he has improved gradually.

14. Messi-ah

Messi-ah Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN

\
    as for the world player of the year award... well if 2008 was not a euro year I would say that anyone who doesnt vote for him at the fifa ceremony should be buried alive. countless players have won the award doing much less.[/quote]

hahaha
    tell me about it, you're telling me that cannavaro can win player of the year, and not ronaldo?
    i mean cmon now...It depends how portugal do in the euros, cause usually big tournaments like these sway a decision. Last year there was nothing in 2007. thats why kaka won.

i feel sorry for john terry though, he should know that if your from england , it is in your blood to miss pks!!
    oh and to lose to portugal .

cannavaro! cmon now!!

15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

hahaha
    tell me about it, you're telling me that cannavaro can win player of the year, and not ronaldo?
    i mean cmon now...It depends how portugal do in the euros, cause usually big tournaments like these sway a decision. Last year there was nothing in 2007. thats why kaka won.

i feel sorry for john terry though, he should know that if your from england , it is in your blood to miss pks!!
    oh and to lose to portugal .

cannavaro! cmon now!![/QUOTE]

Ronaldinho led Barca to CL and La Liga in 2006, similar to the season Ronaldo
    has had this season (although ronaldinho never got close to 42 goals and yet everyone seems to insist on putting him on this pedastal of immortal greatness that cristiano cant come close to when they play similar posiitions)

cannavaro won it in 06 cuz he played well in the WC and italy won the world cup and that stopped ronaldinho from winning what would have been a deserved award. same thing could happen to Ronaldo this season if Portugal doesnt impress.

and you know what, Ronaldo is great but Manchester United will always be winning with or without ronaldo they have the money and the pedigree, if ronaldo wants to be a true Rude boy portugal has got to win the euro because thats something that never happened before and would be really special if it could happen this year. dont proclaim him as world player of the year for all we know sweinsteggar for fabio grosso will win it this summer.

16. Messi-ah

Messi-ah Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN

Ronaldo plays with passion, i know he will make a showing in the Euros,
    he played great in 04 and 06, there is no reason why he should flop this time around, Ronaldinho however did suck it up in 06. I think England emerged this year as the number one league. With 4 teams in the final 8. And such a close finish in the end.
    This should be considered in the voting.

Also ronaldo needs to stop stuttering before pks, that tactic sucks!

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree the stutter step screwed him Cech was just waiting he knew Ronaldo would go right after missing left vs Barca...But who cares? All season Ronaldo has been saving the team today they repaid him when he faltered.

Going into the Final I told my cousin that Ronaldo would have a good game but would not be the "star"....How wrong I was, this was one of his best performances minus the PK. He completely ran Ballack and Essien ragged and did it with the most effective use of flair. His header was deadly his runs and tracking back were determined. He set up many a play that should of ended in the back of Chelsea's net. The first half was probably the best half he's ever played and owned that field. The second half he played well but Chelsea really poured it on and it became a typical United defensive clinic. Although Chelsea did hit some woodwork. The chances were about equal in the end.

But for all those who talk about Ronaldo coming up big or scoring vs certain team I would like to now point out that in all the teams he's faced the only team he hasn't scored against was Barcelona and only 1 player scored in the 2 games played so lets not go pointing fingers at who doesn't show up especially since he had to really good games vs Barca anyway.

Now that he's won 2 trophies this year he might as well go for 3 :cool:

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo is currently going through some confidence during Penalty kick, as I suspected would happen when he was heavily criticized for the stop and go miss against Barcelona.

Many media members criticized and asked him why he did the stop and go. Then I believe it was against West Ham, he went straight through it, something I have never seen him do. Then against Chelsea he went back to the stop and go, ...except he stopped completely. And the kick was a horrid one.

I am sure Ronaldo will correct this himself, as he hates to lose. But I believe that he should have 1 and only 1 lead up to the ball when taking a penalty kick. Either he always implements the stop and go or he runs straight though. He shouldn't be switching between the 2 techniques....

Personally, I like when he does the stop and go.

Now on the game, as gooddead mentioned, he was a monster. He absolutely ate of Essien. So much so that they sent a double team on every opportunity after the 45 minute mark. He was regardless still good. This might have been his best 90 minutes of the season along with his Hat trick.

19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo salutes United's team spirit

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Think about Euro my man. Think about it.

P.S: Also, I just want to state, last nights game against Chelsea is the reason why Ronaldo should be played on the wing. And not upfront.

21. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He can still play free roaming but yesterday clearly showed he is the most dangerous winger in the world.

22. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly, he needs the ball at his feet. The team does.

23. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    so Man Utd & Chelsea ended the season as they started it....

24. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    With one crucial difference... one of them ended with the two big trophies and the other with none.

25. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    I'm tired of people saying he's not the best player in the world "yet". No one has been better recently, Ronaldo has every attacking quality you can have. No one in the world is as lethal as him, he has a great shot with both feet, he's fast, great ball control, tricky, he can cross with both feet, he's great in the air, great on free kicks, he has a great finish and he can pick out splitting passes to his teammates. No other player has all these qualities! No one is saying he is already a legend but he sure as hell is on his way to being one. He's been playing for his country and became a solid starter since he was 18/19. He is the best, he's won every trophy his club can win and he will win more and if he can lead a country like Portugal to a Euro or World Cup (which I'm confident he can) then he will definetly become a legend.

As for his penalties, he's starting to lose concentration and confidence, not hitting them as nicely as he used to. In the World Cup both his penalties were top corner beauties as well as the Euro 2004 penalty. From my experience the run up does not matter, all that matters is concentrating on the ball and where your gonna hit it 2 steps before without lifting your head to watch it go in. Whether he does the stop and go or runs straight through it doesnt really matter, it's the fact that he's losing concentration (i.e West Ham and Barcelona) or confidence (didn't go for the corner against chelsea).