Champ Car vs IRL 2007

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by the cup, Mar 14, 2007.

1. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's hot, but not smoking hot.

2. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the hell is Wheldon's car green?

3. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    1.) Danica's cute, not necessarily hot.
    2.) Milka is also cute, even a little 'hotter' than Danica, but she's also older and you can tell in her face a bit.
    3.) No idea about Wheldon's colors. But I was curious, too.

What the hell happened with the wings on those Penske cars? One snapped, another was close to snapping. A bad part shipment, maybe? Or something weird the team did? Just curious. That whole thing was bizarre.

4. Pack87Man

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea, but that wasn't the best race I've seen. I suppose with Indy being so thrilling, you can't expect perfection every time out. I'm sure Penske will rectify that as well.

As for Wheldon, I saw he had his normal Target stuff up on the wing, but the main sponsor was Fujifilm. I wonder what that was all about.

5. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    If their sponsorship is anything like NASCAR's, Fuji may have bought premium space for one or two races only.

6. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Temporary sponsorship deal. I believe he did that last year for a few races too.

Makes for lots of green cars to keep track of.

7. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What is everyone's opinion of the "accident" between Danica and Dan Wheldon this past weekend?

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=1&columnist=oreovicz_john&id=2894096

Danica in a later interview was surprised there was no penalty given to Wheldon since the run-in caused an "accident". Actually there was no accident because Danica saved her car from going into a spin like every good driver should.

But I actually see the run-in being Danica's fault. If you are going to dive into the inside of someone you had better have an escape route in case the other driver decides to make it difficult for you. That was all Wheldon was doing and Danica suffered because of it.

Then after the race she gives Wheldon a little shove. Such drama in the IRL.

8. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Probably slightly more Danica's fault, but it was really just one of those racing things.

Have to give Danica some credit, not only for saving her car in that incident, but she was carving her way up the field prior to that incident.

9. Pack87Man

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would actually lean the other direction on the fault, as I think Danica was passing Wheldon as he slammed the door shut, but I agree with the no penalty. However, IRL officials must be loving this drama, because it's getting some play in lots of places, more than I expected.

10. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Boy, what a great weekend.

IRL tonight from Texas. Champ Car finally gets going again tomorrow in Portland. And F1 from Canada.

Hope everyone enjoys!

11. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Those were pretty good races.

I'd have to say the IRL race was the more entertaining race, but I'll give Champ Car the award for a better broadcast. The IRL broadcasters still feel the need to fill in every last second with chatter, chatter and more chatter. I'm going to start watching their races with the mute button on.

I wouldn't mind if Champ Car didn't return to Portland next year. That race course is pretty boring and maybe due to the threat of rain the crowd was very sparse.

Danica got her best finish ever, 3rd.

Bourdais (the Michael Schumacher of Champ Car) won again and gave Newman Haas racing their 100th win.

12. Pack87Man

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how Bourdais would fare in Indy Car, where he'd have some actual competition other than Paul Tracy. It's got to be getting old, him winning all the races.

It'd be nice if they finally merged. I could see 25 cars running 25 races.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just reading an article on that very subject. It wasn't optimistic. Said it was unlikely until 2009 or 2010 at the earliest since ChampCar just switched to their new chassis and won't be looking to buy new ones until 2010 at the earliest. That said, it did state that if IRL were willing to adopt the Champ Panoz chassis then a merger might be possible sooner, but that George was unlikely to go for it.

The only other real chance for merger will be when Champ is looking to replace the current chassis in a few years, which will coincide with Honda dropping support for IRL which is likely to happen in the next few years leaving IRL w/o a factory engine manufacturer.

14. Pack87Man

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kind of hard for them, though, if they don't have a series to run next year.

15. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was at Imdy for the USGP this weekend and I found it interested that Champcar actually had a tent set up right on Georgetown across from the track. Kind of off their turf there.

16. Pack87Man

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChampCar is based in Indy.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which one are you referring to? Champ or IRL?

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but it is a nice "eff you" for them to be anywhere near Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

19. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Today we could put the whole Champ Car vs IRL question to the test. Champ Car is in Cleveland, Indy Car is in Iowa, and they both are on national network televesion.....at the same time. (1 pm eastern)

Is there anyone out there that knows how to look up tv ratings? I've tried in the past but couldn't find the correct websites, or did but couldn't find the ratings for what I was looking.

If someone could look up the ratings for these two races I would be grateful, it would be very interesting to see how they compare.

20. Pack87Man

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the Iowa race. Holy hell, that was exciting. They did four wide twice, once it worked, once it didn't, and the results both times were spectacular.

21. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The Cleveland race was pretty exciting too and it was good to see someone win besides Bourdais.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually watching both while I was in the hospital with nothing to do on Sunday (and missing the NASCAR race in Sonoma as well that I had tickets too) because of a massive concussion. I though the racing in Cleveland was definitely better, but the coverage in Iowa was far superior. Champ's TV coverage blew in comparison to the IRL race.

Of course both the racing and the coverage sucked for the open wheel series compared to the Nascar race. They're saying it was the best race ever run at Sonoma, and watching it on TV I'm inclined to agree. Shame I missed it in person.

23. Pack87Man

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to what I've read, for the overnights, Iowa posted a 1.2 and Cleveland posted a .7. I don't know about Cleveland, but the Iowa Speedway was packed and then some.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cleveland looked packed too, just more spread out due to being a road course at an airport.

25. Pack87Man

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were people everywhere at Iowa. I really hope they add in a bunch more permanent seating next year, along with straightening out the parking situation.