Chad Johnson a Liverpool fan?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by ghazi, Dec 28, 2005.

1. diamonddnice

diamonddnice New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    You've completely inserted your own assumptions into your post. Nowhere did i say "they only watch because of that [african decent]". I made no such blanket statement about all people of African decent. It's quite simplistic to think it's would be purely a matter of raw numbers or some simple formula That would be like saying all people off African heritage like Arsenal. That's clearly not true. But regarding Bolten, there is a basic problem that Bolton play defensively, are generally boring, don't have a major Black superstar like Henry, they not a large team from a major metro area, and generally African Americans, gravitate towards athletes, players, and style of play, that display great creativity and flair, hence their natural gravitation towards, Brazil, African teams in general, and Arsenal specifically. That is also why Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Michael Irving, and Deon Sanders have been so popular in the NFL to tie it back to the original posting topic. in fact many it is extremely common for black americans to not support the Boston Red Sox or the Celtics because of them being some of the last teams to integrate and fewer black players. Remember the scene in Spike Lee's "Do the right thing" where they get in the argument with the guy in the Celtics jersey. That's not about stepping on shoes. That's spike Lee, in a movie about race, inserting a subtext of that very idea as symbolized by the white guy in a Celtics jersey.

They don't support Accrington Stanley because most new fans haven't heard of it. But you seem to think i've asserted some simplistic formula. But this is more about perception. Benin can have all the slave history it wants. The reality is Large swaths of African Americans right or wrong perceive a connection to Ghana not Benin.

As for Brazil. In fact they would still like brazil because African Americans often like their style of play and relate to the flair and creativity. And African Americans with an interest in soccer in large numbers follow Ghana because of this feeling of shared heritage, and they are not number 1 in the world. Nor is Brazil by the way anymore. Now many Americans have decided to follow Fulham just because of the presence of Americans. Mexican Americans do the exact same thing in supporting Mexico as do Italian Americans with Italy, Greeks, Jews and tons of other ethnicities in the US. It's the nature of having a "melting pot."

Football can cross divides or the whole universe but the United States was formed on racial classes, enslavement, fought a civil war with tangential connections to slavery, and even after slavery ended, huge portions of the country instituted jim crow laws to reinforce old predjudice ways. Blacks and Whites had to march together and die together to begin to change things. As Americans it is a profound part of our nation's history. Today we still have inner cities with wealth and access to services divided along racial lines. Given the history or the United States and the long history of African Americans being treated as less then human it's naive to think that that experience does not have a profound effect on virtually everything in our lives, and just possibly could effect, in some people, the club they support. I'm not sure why you seem so defensive over a general observation but there is nothing right or wrong about it. It is not an attack on whites. Its just a post i made because i know there are people who probably never thought such things where considered by a African Americans. It was intended to be food for thought.

2. diamonddnice

diamonddnice New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Yes, this is exactly my point. It is natural. America is a diverse place with a complicated history. And unlike any other group most African Americans didn't immigrate here and don't have any knowledge of their African country of origin so their identity and the club they identify with is not as easy as where they were born or the country of their ancestors. But again, i brought it up as intelligent conversation and food for thought.

3. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are in violent agreement. Henry has been presented in America as the soccer embodiment of Jordan or AI or LaBron. That is the slick, smooth offensive machine. That fits with the African American self-image that is often echoed in the media. In the end it is all good if it brings people in the USA to the juego bonito -- and if they look long enough they'll gravitate to Liverpool --YNWA:D

4. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :rolleyes:

Lad asked a simple question. Looks like Chad Johnson is a Liverpool fan, which is pretty neat.

Don't bite the lad's head off, also don't say stuff that makes you look bad, as in "I follow the NFL but haven't heard of one of the stars."

Sorry, but you struck a nerve with me. I think your response was stupid. Even as a Brit living in the States, think about if this was reversed, pretend this was a Bengals board and someone came on seeing something about Stevie G wearing a Bengals jersey and if he was a fan. It would be an honest question.

5. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Um, Red Auerbach was, I believe, the first person to sign a black player in the NBA. It's true that the Celtics have a reputation as being a "white" team because of the Lakers/Celtics divide of the 80's, but it's fundamentally wrong to say that the Celtics were one of the last teams to integrate.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Then piss off then...!!! Perhaps you didn't notice the thread is 2 years old....and I still don't know (Or care) who Johnson is or that he plays for the bengals

This isn't the ********ing Bengals board that's possibly in Big Football somewhere, where you belong.

7. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, listen to this guy. Apparently, he's the authority on what is and isn't on topic or interesting.

Just because you don't care about something, doesn't mean others don't. Moron...

8. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you doing on this thread? Why is this thread still in existence? Why can't we just let these things be?

When I find myself in times of trouble
    Mother Mary comes to me
    Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
    And in my hour of darkness
    She is standing right in front of me
    Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
    Let it be, let it be.
    Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

Mods please kill this thread, it has only led to bad things. It's like the Ring in Lord of the Rings. Did I just make a reference to the Beatles and Lord of the Rings in the same post on a Liverpool thread? I must be out of my mind.

9. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies. Didn't realize this thread stretched back that far. First time entering this section of Big Soccer.

Carry on...

10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Read before you post, then you won't look like the idiot you obviously are.
    Back to big football sonny.

11. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Now I can't wait for the football season to start to fill this thread with "Ocho Cinco's" stats and stories...may it spread to 12 pages...

12. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Screw you, you prick. I'll be bumping this thread until it's locked...just for you.

Jackass...

13. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes...just what I have waited for. BigSoccer smack talk at its finest. Now all we need is football's greatest friend Jim Rome here to tell who talks the greatest smack.

This thread will not die, so I am just going to continue to mention random stuff on here until people a)stop talking about Chad Johnson and b) stop fighting over something stupid. The Jim Rome comment brings my off-topic comments up to three on this thread.

14. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good....Chris.

15. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is your reason for trolling in our board??

16. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to the Noo Yawrker boards and talk about your team named after an energy drink. Let me repeat you stubborn piece of shite, you support a team named after an ENERGY DRINK!!!

17. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to post the American Idol version of YNWA, but saw it was already posted. I clicked on the Chad Johnson thread because it caught my eye and couldn't believe that some people were bitching about the fact that the topic creator posted it.

Whatever.

And as far as supporting Red Bull...You live in North Dakota and honestly consider yourself a diehard Liverpool supporter? Unless you are a transplant, you jumped on a bandwagon at some point...

And how convenient: Account created in May 2005...

Probably right after Schevchenko missed.

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You're late for everything but the only reason you're hanging around is because this is the most attention you've ever had.

Liverbird, this arsehole actually thinks you're in North Dakota. Reading and comprehension (among a lot of other things) are not his strong suites.

Time to run along sonny, each time you post you sound dumber and dumber.

19. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all ass hole, read MY profile not CSC's. He's a teenager. I am 56 years old. I don't think its required that I tell you when I started supporting Liverpool, or why. It was a long time ago, but I joined this place in 2000. Please tell me what glory I was chasing on that date? Now unless you started supporting the Metro/Red balls this year I will give you a begrudging respect (the same I hold for supporters of Hull) for supporting a team that has been crap for its whole existence. Perhaps this'll be your year. But don't show up on our board and claim to determine who's a true fan. Particularly if the criteria is that we get excited due to the (presumed and then proven untrue) support of a mediocre pointy ball player.

20. O Fenômeno

O Fenômeno New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    New Jersey
    CHAD JOHNSON= ARSENAL FAN......

He said it in a interview on espn.com...alot of black celebs in america like arsenal...mainly because of thierry henry.

Chad is a BIG henry fan, and has been a fan of arsenal since his teens. I believe..

and on wikipedia you can add anything you want to a article....and chad was a FUTEBOL player before american footballer...

BUT in america the best athletes don't play the beautiful game.

21. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously, I am the last person to call people out on who they root for, but CCSC decided to mock the team I pull for (and he's a conveniently timed Liverpool fan).

I was obviously referring to CCSC with the North Dakota comment.

Either way, I don't feel like fighting with the Liverpool board, especially since I'm pulling for you guys to beat Chelsea.

Liverbird...good luck with Liverpool and fighting off future posters who are into discussing Chad Johnson's football allegiances and thanks for supporting MLS. GO RBNY!

22. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll support you on all but the "go RBNY" part. See my sig!

23. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually started supporting Liverpool in 98 probably not for the best reasons. I liked them just cause Michael Owen was my favorite player...so piss off.

24. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an Owen fan myself, which is why I own a Liverpool, Real Madrid (yikes!) and Newcastle jersey.

I saw him score his last goal for Liverpool which was in a friendly at Giants Stadium against Roma.

What MLS club is closest to Bismarck? THAT should be your team!

I have a lot of European teams I pull for, but only two that I really just don't like: Chelsea and Juventus.

Pissing off now...