CFR - Back Home in the Great Lakes Div

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by cfrsoccer, Nov 11, 2004.

1. cfrsoccer

cfrsoccer New Member

May 11, 2001
    chicago
    USL Soccer announced today that 4 time division champions, the Chicago Fire Reserves, are moving back to the Great Lakes Division.

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't you miss the pleasure of the 12 hr drive to Thunder Bay? ;)

3. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Thank God.

4. cfrsoccer

cfrsoccer New Member

May 11, 2001
    chicago
    Well there is no schedule yet, but I wouldn't rule out a trip anywhere in the central part of the country, Thunder Bay or Des Moines, we used to play them when we were in the Great Lakes before and it makes logical sense only because we are probably one of the next closest teams for Des Moines and probably still one of the closest to Thunder Bay.

Our success is a double edge sword, everyone complains when we are in their division, but they still like to schedule us because it usually bumps up the attendance.

5. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The irony. I was just bitching about your inclusion for that very reason. Cleveland Inter doesn't need yet another team that can whomp the hell out of us. But, we might as well. It isn't like we were challenging for that second conference playoff spot.

So welcome. There is a GLC thread in USL forum which you are welcome to use now that you are in the club.

6. cfrsoccer

cfrsoccer New Member

May 11, 2001
    chicago
    I love the fact that we may play in Cleveland, gives me a reason to stop in Sandusky and ride the roller coasters more often.

I'll jump in as well as a few of the hardcore cfr posters on the Great Lakes Thread,

7. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was just kidding about the trip to Thunder Bay. It's actually not that bad of a drive, just long. The drive over from Duluth to Thunder Bay is really great scenery is great. I always thought that they have one of the better organizations in the conference. Also, one of the owners owns a Swedish restaurant that serves a great breakfast. ;)

Also, are the CFR going to continue to play at a number of locations?

8. cfrsoccer

cfrsoccer New Member

May 11, 2001
    chicago
    We will probably play one early season game at one of the Southwest Side HS in conjunction with the youth soccer league and we defenitely are looking for at least one game at Loyola University, it's a great venue in one of the most densely populated parts of the city. We are in negotiations with Lemont and several other locations. We should have it all worked out by the first of the year.

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Well you never know how the PDL schedules will be, just the nature of the league but with CFR in our division there is a greater chance we would have more matches.

And I need to get to Sandusky :/ I've never even ridden it but Top Thrill Dragster already owns me.