Cesare Prandelli's Nazionale

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by asbari1908, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Amauri should never set foot on the team again. Parolo is a midfielder that I don't know enough about to give an opinion on. I agree that Giovinco has been average this season, but he is young, has potential and could provide some creative flair.

I don't want to call up 36 year old players.

2. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Di Natale was always used incorrectly by both Donadoni and Lippi. I still maintain that he never got a fair shake at the national team. He scored a shitload of goals playing in front of net but for some reason both coaches didn't have the confidence to put him where he belongs. Instead he always got ********ed playing wide left in a 4-3-3 where his goal was to connect Iaquinta or Toni. In Udinese he has the team playing for him.

How anyone can deny his class is extremely stupid. He's the only player from the "old guard" that deserves to be considered because he's getting results

3. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't disagree with anything that you have written here. Di Natale certainly got the shaft thanks to moronic coaching by Lippi and Donadoni, but how much longer do you think he is going to keep up this form? He is 33 years old and it does not take much for a striker of such an age to lose the spark permanently. My point was that it may be too late for him, not that it's not or was not the right idea at one time.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Barring injury or unless something drastic happens next season, I don't see how 12/13 months will stop or affect a striker like Di Natale. He has been one of the most consistent goal scorers of the last 5 years not to mention, the top scorer the last two seasons (with 9 matches remaining in the current campaign)....

2010-2011 29 games 25 goals 1st...

2009-2010 35 games 29 goals 1st

2008-2009 22 games 12 goals 12th

2007-2008 36 games 17 goals 4th

2006-2007 31 games 11 goals 11th

5. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

Di Natale era w/NT was 2006-2010
    UNLESS
    @ age of 33, he had taken the next step in summer of 2010 and moved to:
    AC Milan or Inter or Roma or Juve or Napoli or Viola.

-> Prandelli has stated he wants his team to be based off Cassano, so Di Natale loses to Cassano who plays for AC Milan

Also, I am sure you recall what happened in Euro 2008, where Donadoni dropped his main guy DiNatale and 433 for Cassano and ADP after the 1st game only to recall him in late game vs Spain...

Moreover, imo the 45 minutes DiNatale played vs New Zealand (1-1) Draw and
    90" vs *Solvakia (2-3 Loss) to hurt his reputation w/Prandelli

Goal vs. *Solvakia was tap in from Iaquinta/Quags work/combo shot which was saved.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm sure if he were on a top club , he would be considered in a minute. I.E. Daniele Massaro at Milan. Di Natale however, almost went to Juve at the beginning of the season and ended up staying in Udine out of loyalty. Looking back on how bad Juve is playing, he probably made the right decision.

Although he is younger and I love Cassano, he has yet proven himself on the national team either. I hope he will turn it around because he is quite a talented player and one that Italy definitely needs.

7. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As pointed out by other posters, Di Natale would have achieved more if the team was built around him. Donadoni had the right idea in the Euro 2008 qualifiers but he didn't stick with it in the actual tornament.

If it was necessary to call him up, ADN could be used as a super-sub. Prandelli wants to build the team around Cassano but if it's not him, he should build the team around G Rossi. Balotelli hasn't had a great season in which he has dominated at club level so I wouldn't build the team around him yet. He needs a season in which he scores 20+ goals.

As for Massaro, he was one of Sacchi's boys. Sacchi's selection policy was abnormal. Having said that, Massaro scored a brace against Barca in a CL Final so that should count for something.

8. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'll never understand why Donadoni buried Di Natale after Holland humiliated us. Certainly wasn't his fault we let in 3 goals. Lack of experience I guess. A shame though because I think that one instance basically killed Di Natale's NT career.

9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True. If a forward needed to be benched at Euro 08, it was Toni. Before the Euro, he was one of my favourite players. Afterwards, any respect I had for him disappeared. Aside from Di Natale, I felt De Rossi's role changed from the qualifiers. He seemed to be more comfortable on the ball in some qualifying matches, essentially playing like a regista.

The thing that really killed the Azzurri against the Dutch was the central defence. It's a concern when you have to move two of your full-backs (Panucci and Chiellini) into the centre for the rest of the tornament but I felt they did a good job after the disaster Materazzi and Barzagli created.

10. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    di natale would be a good super sub, he should be considered for euro 2012

11. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Cannavaro should get a chance.

12. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Although the team is still work in progress, but from what I have seen in the last 2 matches u/Prandelli the team indeed is slowly arriving in the 21 century.

However, the midfield still needs much more improvement and the fullbacks
    need to improve their crosses/passes, especially since Italy doesn't have any quality Wingers...I would have given Abate a call...

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Donadoni was being pressured to start either one of Cassano or Del Piero from day 1. No matter how good Di Natale was playing for Udine, or for the NT during qualifying (he was easily our best striker during that time) people didn't want him ahead of the beloved ADP or Cassano in the pecking order.

I personally think Donadoni allowed the media and the fans to dictate his decisions a little TOO much, whereas someone like Lippi almost seemed to go completely against the media solely out of spite. From one extreme to another I suppose. :rolleyes:

The only thing more ridiculous was that Borriello didn't even get 1 minute of playing time during the whole tournament, even in spite of how bad Toni was playing. I just don't see the point in brining a striker that was coming off of a career year, just to have him sit on the bench throughout the whole tourny, even though your star striker was completely stinking it up.

15. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I think guys like Maggio, Cassani, and Balzaretti have the skills needed to fulfill that requirement.

16. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Di Natale will always get the short end of the stick by people that don't know any better mainly because of his age, the fact that he was a late bloomer in his career, and the fact that he never played for a big club. Those who actually follow the game though are smart enough to realize that this guy has probably been the most consistent striker in Serie A during the post-calciopoli era. It also seems as though the older he gets, the more dangerous of a player he becomes. I also agree 110% that playing him in a wide role was absolutely idiotic, and didnt' allow him to make the most of his talents. IF there's one thing I hate about italian coaches, it's their insistance on trying to use strikers as wingers.

17. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's fine and all but it still doesnt excuse his weak ass PK just like it didnt excuse Baggio, Vieri, ADP, Totti though the later two were somewhat vindicated with a WC win but I still remember ADP costing Italy a euro championship.

18. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    You do realize that these guys are HUMAN as well, right?

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember that......
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hep2MQgHts&feature=related"]YouTube - Del Piero bad miss (1st) VS France EURO 2000[/ame]

I also think however, both Cannavaro and Nesta were to blame for France's win....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNV0L-jacEc&feature=related"]YouTube - Italia 1-2 Francia (gg) Finale Euro 2000 Commento Gialappa's Band[/ame]

20. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    When I think about the epic amount of talent on the field for that match, compared to level of these two nations today... it is just a shocking decline. It's like the difference between a decisive derby for the scudetto and Serie B relegation fight.

21. Denton52

Denton52 New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Perth
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    RE: Italy losing Euro 00

Serves them all right for dancing on the sidelines like clowns before the final whistle.

22. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That system that Zoff used (at least for te first couple of games) was one of the best i've seen Italy use ever (in my opinion).

3-5-2

----------Toldo-------
    Nesta-----Cannavaro-Iuliano
    Zambrotta---Albertini---Maldini
    -------Fiore---------Conte----
    -----Inzaghi-----------Totti-----

Had it been Vieri instead of Inzaghi, we would have won that shit.

23. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think it's time for Prandelli to give Abate his senior call-up.

1 person likes this.
  24. TFC17

TFC17 Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Yep. Theres absolutely no reason not to, given our lack of options.

1 person likes this.
  25. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    I followed him since his U21 days....he was good as R-Winger with lots of potenial and thanks to Leo last season (converting him to RB), he is now doing well as RB too.

He could be the next Zambro ....(He used to play as RM too)