Cesare Prandelli's Nazionale

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by asbari1908, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Italy08

Italy08 Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The thing about Gila, he didn't even have even one shot in WC 2010. A very poor performance. He performed better in WC 2006.

2. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Gila's NT career has been less than stellar, but you gotta give the guy credit where it's due in regards to his club career thus far. 128 career goals at the club level before the age of 30 ain't too shabby at all. ;)

3. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I agree. Vieri was more than just a big body that was able to overpower defenders. He also had the capability to score some rather brilliant goals. His first goal with Atalanta a few years ago will always stick out in my mind:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66L1KsBHLIA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66L1KsBHLIA[/ame]

Not bad for an old timer :D

4. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I always liked Vieri and when he was on he was incredible but Gila will go down as a better center forward than him AND he has already scored more scratch-your-head-and-wonder-how-he-did-that goals than Vieri did over a 20-year career.

5. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Vieri is the prototype of what a CF should be and hopefully we have seen the last of Gilardino. He had two chances already. Time for somebody else to play that position. Agree with gumbaccic that it should be Balotelli but for now it is probably best to play him on the wing until he gets a little bit stronger so he can stand up to the physicality that is required for that position on the international level.

6. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. The ball never got to them so who can really say?

Italy's best chance would have been to have two big strong center forwards (Borriello and Amauri maybe?) toss Miccoli up into the air like a cheerleader so as to try to get a head to one of those "crosses."

7. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    lol You're insane to think that there might be even the slightest chance that Gilardino is done on the NT. That's serious, laugh-out-loud-funny shizz right there.

8. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    see Motta, Marco [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvIGcbOFYvY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvIGcbOFYvY[/ame]

1:15, probably the best game of his young career. Not too many crosses in the vid, but just an idea. other videos you can view his skill Roma vs Inter

9. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As soon as Balotelli grows into the CF position he is done.

10. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't know why people think Gilar is a CF. Just look at WC 10 and 06. He sucks as a CF.

11. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    What plays did he mess up on in WC10?

12. Pure Violence

Pure Violence New Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why are Molinaro and Pepe in the team? They are terrible!
    I think Giovinco also needs to be called up. He has it all to become one of the main stars of our Nazionale. Same goes for Dessena and Cigarini.

13. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I think it's only fair to try them out in some sort of gameplan or something before saying that.

14. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Vieri = big game player - he performed at World Cups and important European club games.

In addition, Vieri had a better goals:game ratio than Gilardino at domestic level, European level and International level.

Vieri will go down as the better CF.

15. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    The ball got to Iaquinta, he just couldn't create.

16. Pure Violence

Pure Violence New Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pepe has shown to be an extremely average player at best, and Molinaro is absolute crap. If you followed the calcio you'd know.

17. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    absolutely right, I've always pulled for Gilardino but he's not world class and if he never dressed for the Azzurri again I wouldn't shed a tear. Balotelli will step right in, followed by Okaka once he gets a first team run, Marilungo will be knocking on the door by then also. Don't rule out Acquafresca who needs to show some consistency and Paloschi who needs to stay healthy. My real dream though is to see Osvaldo get his shot, the dude is just filthy when he has the right players around him and shown faith by the coach. The biggest outsider that I'd love to see if he can put it all together, is Salvatore Foti......

Agree with Cigarini, Dessena, and Giovinco, big fans of all three. Cigarini will show Europe what he can do this year in the CL with Sevilla and Prandelli will surely take note (Don't rule out Guarente, an absolute workhorse). Dessena needs to get solid time with Samp this year and really shine in order to surpass other CMs on the Azzurri depth chart, and same for Giovinco with Parma.

18. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Every play.... 'cause the defender pushed him out of position, ride his back... and pretty much treated him like a little girl out there.

19. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    lol Well, for the reading-impaired, I wasn't exactly touting either one. I'm just saying that you can't judge how they'll do for Prandelli's Azzurri based on Pepe's career to date, and the fact that Molinaro has no Azzurri career yet to speak of...

And "average" by what measure? How many above average (by your measure) right wingers does Italy have?

20. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC

within a few months after some Serie A experience, Ezequiel Schelotto will be the answer. I cannot wait for him to burst onto the national scene

21. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pepe, Quag ( I finally respect the person after WC10), Balo... These three guys can play L or R winger. It's good to have flexibility. I would put Quag with Balo..., but I respect Pepe; he proved to me in WC10.

I'm pretty happy to see these guys, Amauri, and Cassano...

I just need one more.... Miccoli

22. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

23. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    How many of those injuries Juve have had the last couple years have actually happened while with the Azzurri?
    It will help their game. Being a regular at the national team is hugely important for a player and for his development.

24. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So winning a World Cup only matters if you get something valuable? Like home field advantage? What the hell have you been smoking...

25. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Molinaro was terrible at Juve but he has been doing well at Stuttgart. He is not wasteful like he was at Juve. I'm not saying he will be a regular for the Azzurri but he has improved since going to the BL.

Pepe has a good work ethic and he isn't as weak on the ball as Iaquinta. I think he will work hard for those more creative midfielders and forwards. Pepe is only the exception here whereas under Lippi, he was the rule.