Cesare Prandelli's Nazionale

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by asbari1908, Jun 18, 2010.

1. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Yeah Cassano is as good as Baggio. :rolleyes: Seriously, how soon we forget how great Baggio was.

And some of you guys are in dreamland about this Juve supporter nonsense. I read a lot of the Juve threads and there is no one saying that it should be all our players on the NT. Most Juve supporters who care about the NT want the best players....period. I can't stand Roma but I acknowledge that De Rossi should be a national team fixture despite how shit he was at the World Cup.

Out of Juve's current crop, if all were healthy, that would only include Buffon and Chiellini as definite NT players. Motta, Bonucci and Marchisio should still have to prove themselves. I'm not sold on Pepe and Camoranesi and Iaquinta appear past it. And I wouldn't consider Del Piero any more due to age. The best thing is that most Juve supporters don't want Amauri on the club let alone the NT while a number of non-Juve supporters have lauded Prandelli for calling Amauri up. :confused: So let's just please drop this Juve supporters only want Juve national team players nonsense.

2. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    How many major tournaments have guys like Totti and Del Piero failed at? No one would ever dare to contest their probably selections though. In terms of natural talent and quality, this is easily the best contingent of forwards we've had in a long time.

Cassano is in the best shape of his life, and has been playing by far his best football since his Roma days. Balotelli has temper issues, yes, but the same can also be said for numerous veterans as well that have represented the Azzurri over the years.

Balo in particular is easily one of the best (if not THE best) talents that Italy has produced in quite some time. The fact that as a teenager this guy was lighting it up for one of the biggest clubs in the world is a testament to his incredible ability. Personally, I don't want to see his immense talent wasted like Cassano's was for so many years due to stubborn, often arrogant coaches that were merely stuck in their ways.

In the end, I'm merely convinced that Italian fans are really just never happy. Maybe we should start bringing back guys relics in their mid-late 30's in order to ease everyone's fears a little. :rolleyes:

3. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    "Progression of Italian football over the years..." :confused: Sorry, but who won in 2006?

We had a shit WC in 2010 but we have been an ever-present force in international football and the attitude in Italy has never changed much. We won in 2006 with and experienced squad and did shit this summer with experience. That's the way it goes. Experience has always been favored on the NT and we have done well on the international stage with that concept. Only Brazil has been better; so let's stop making it seem that we are nobodies.

That said, I'm on board with Prandelli's selection for the most part.

4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Sorry, but the influx of Cassano and Balotelli, who admittedly have a great potential upside, doesn't dismiss the fact that the rest of our attacking talent is pretty mediocre on the international level. If you think this current crop is better than the mix that we had in 2006 which isn't ancient history, you're only fooling yourself.

And as far as Balotelli and his talent being wasted, that has more to do with Balotelli's shit attitude, just as Cassano before him. I'm not going to blame guys like Lippi, Mourinho, or Capello when the player is a complete asshole. Those three obviously have had as much success as any manager around and they know what they're doing; they're not going to put up with nonsense and petulance from guys like Balotelli and Cassano for good reason.

And I'm not reading many saying they are unhappy with this selection, bar possibly the inclusion of Amauri. I think the general sentiment is cautious optimism. Forgive the rest of us for not believing that the current crop of attacking talent we have are not reincarnations of Baggio and Rivera.

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Lippi's fate was settled with Pirlo getting injured. He was the only player in midfield that could have any influence. Montolivo was a waste as usual. DeRossi was horrible. Marchisio looked like a lost kid. Pepe had moments but that was it. While there was nothing to brag about our attack, the problem was in midfield. And Prandelli has not solved that with this roster.

Why I can't get excited about Cassano, Balotelli and Amauri? One has done little when he has put on the maglietta Azzurri, the second had done little with the U21 shirt and the last one is making his debut at the age of 30. And somehow these three will solve all of the ills for Italia?

The team that will take the pitch is very untested internationally, not just on the national team stage but also the club one. So my expectations are low. If we go nil-nil or 1-1, probably a good result. Some of you are building up for a big let down.

6. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You make some valid points about our performance in SA, but nothing new. I think most would agree with you.
    However, you say you can't get excited about the influx of new blood into the lineup...even after seeing how shit the likes of Iaquinta/Camo/Gila/Pazz/etc./etc.... because they haven't proven much. With the exception of Camo (who up to a few years back was effective), I'd argue that none of them have ever made any real impact at the international level...and yet, they seem to make the team or at least they did for SA. Shit, I don't care if we lose this game...but I sure as hell am happy at not seeing the usual CRAP (especially up front) that we've seen over the past few years...

do I think they will solve ALL of Italy's "ills"? HELL NO...but at least it is a transition in the right direction. And for this, I am excited...

7. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Somebody said it best. We should be cautiously optimistic because I dont see any winners in this group other than Balotelli. It is going to take time and experience playing at the highest level before these players can learn how to win. This goes for De Rossi too. Yeah I know he has a WC medal but he did more to harm Italy in 2006 and in the last four years he has regressed just like Chiellini has in the last 2 years of international play.

8. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I expect growing pains with the Azzurri. For us to expect them to go out there and mop the floor with the Ivory Coast is a pipe dream. This is going to be a big test for the revamped NT.

9. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    agreed. I wouldnt be surprised if we tied or lost tomorrow, doesn't mean this team can't be great, its going to be their 1st game together and it takes time to gel while the Ivory Coast will basically have their WC team which performed pretty well. With that said I fully expect an Azzurri win 3-1 with 1 goal from each of the new "super trio" :D

10. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Really?

Spain's attack is basically Villa. Torres is a size and strength player like Iaquinta, i dont rate him that highly and he isn't that good for Spain. Then there is the likes of Llorente and Guiza who are no better than some of the strikers we have.

11. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Montolivo was fine. The last game against Slovakia he underperformed but against Paraguay and NZ he was one of the better players, and we dominated the midfield in both those games.

Look at the way we could not break down Paraguay or NZ despite plenty of the ball. We had to rely on setpieces to score. The problem was the creativity in the final third, which many people on here pointed out even before the tournament started. It's been an on going problem since Totti retired.

Cassano was a star at Euro 2004. He's done more than alot of other regulars on the NT. He's no Baggio, but he does provide an important role on the team.

I'm not particularly bothered about the result tommorow. People are excited because we will get to see flair players like Balotelli and Cassano on the team rather than a bunch of workhorses.

12. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Are you trying to spell Schillaci?

13. Age of Azzurri

Age of Azzurri New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Cassano had every chance to become world class back in 2004. The fact that he was our best player on the national team said alot. Even now at age 28 he is in the form of his life and although a little late can now put in a great four years of service and help the NT back to the top. I just hope its not too late for him. The way I see it is that he wasted not only his potential at Roma but an incredible oppurtunity to become the next golden boy next to Totti. He wasted two years with Real and now has finally recieved a second chance with Sampa. Dont waste it Anto.

Have we ever really replace Vieri? I mean there was Toni but he was a dfferent type of player. We need a power forward who can dribble and create chances for himself. Amauri is being tried in that role. We also have Borriello.

In your opinions what do you think of Quagliarella being in that role?

14. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Having my players called up at all brings out the hater in me. The proposed backline that includes Motta, Bonucci, and Chiellini is unacceptable. If anyone of them (or Marchisio or Amauri) so much as pick up the slightest knock I hope we sue the shit out of the FIGC for compensation. I'm sick and tired of us allowing so many of our players to be wasted on this bullshit, no matter who the manager is.

15. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Being a regular for the Azzurri can only help these players develop their game. I don't see the problem. They could get injured banging their girlfriend for all I care. Injuries is a part of the game. The pros of having a player on the national team far outweigh the cons.

16. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    We're different, Duck. Look at our injury list for the past 2-3 seasons. Yes, injuries are a part of the game and they could happen at any time. But why court disaster when you don't have to? A few games with NT will not help them develop their game to any significant degree that it would out weigh the risk of injury while playing in these stupid, unnecessary fixtures.

17. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    It helps develop team chemistry which is vital at international level.

18. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    And team chemistry for national sides would be important if the winners got something valuable like home field advantage in the World Series or something... But they don't.

19. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

NT play is part of the game, if the player is good he will be called up and yes risk injury! They could get hurt in practice as well and meaningless club friendlies. Its not an unnecessary fixture, the team is new they need some play time under their belt before the 1st qualifier next month .

20. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Team chemistry is important no matter where you play, home field advantage has nothing to do with it. Even more so if they don't have that home advantage wouldn't you thnk?

21. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

LOL Whos gonna sue the FIGC you and who exactly? :D

I understand you're Juve 1st but cmon, NT call ups have always been part of the sport, and always will be! Don't worry so much! + International experience could do some of this guys some good even for the club level! :)

22. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Hey, let me have my fun. I don't ask for much.

23. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Better they risk injury playing for their club, ya know, the collective that actually pays their wages and transfer fees, than risk injury playing for an organization that doesn't, like the NT. If we were to be given adequate financial compensation by the FIGC should something occur, then I'd grin and bear it. But we're not, and in the end it's the club that's forced to take the loss and come away empty-handed. Prandelli can just call-up another replacement, we cannot.

And given our on going injury crisis, it's insulting that so many so-called Juventus supporters still prioritize the NT, which at the end of the day doesn't give a damn about the club (our club or any other, for that matter). One crocked striker and our GK out indefinitely isn't enough. We have to risk our back-line as well because it's the ~Azzurri. Well, ******** the Azzurri. It's time for actual Juventus fans to start putting the club first.

24. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

haha!! alright, carry on carry on ;-)) Happy Monday!

25. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The NT is part of life, like taxes... LOL you have to just accept it! If Juve is going to have good players expect them to be called up! Ofcourse this is only true if the NT has a smart coach, if not he may call up guys like Iaquinta :p