Cesare Prandelli's Nazionale

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by asbari1908, Jun 18, 2010.

1. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I respectfully disagree. He lacked quality, even for a poor Juve side which was why he was shipped off to Germany. The fact that he looked good running down the left flank in CL hardly impresses. We always knew that he was a good athlete and liked to push forward. How soon we forget how poor he is on the ball and the horrendous decisions he makes routinely in defending.

2. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Sorry, man, I love Juve but the national team comes first.

3. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Pazzini....good riddance.:cool:

4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    We have "talented" players, but as opposed to many past great Italia sides, we lack an abundance of "world class" talent. The hope is that this core of players can gel and play well together to make up the talent deficit that we would have against a team like Spain.

When I made the comment about "experience," I wasn't referring to international experience. Naturally, an international side with many newly-capped players is not going to be experienced. However, if you look at the side as it is presently constituted, we don't have many players who have played at the highest level in top-tier European club competition. That could be problematic when we play against the other powers.

5. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    If you followed Juve regularly I'm not sure you would share that sentiment. Iaquinta, while once a useful player, now appears to be past it; and he had an injury-plagued season. Amauri is just overated; he has no business on this squad.

6. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    definitely need to ease up there dude. First off it is only a friendly, Prandelli's first game in what hopefully will be a long era. Pazzini will be playing in a much more important Champions League qualifier on the 18th (return leg 24th) vs Werder Bremen, so his training will be more important with Sampdoria after being away from the squad for much of the pre-season. Im sure this may have had something to do with Prandelli's decision on selecting a star striker for an August friendly?.....

7. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Happy to see Lucchini and Lazzarri there

8. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Prandelli's No Call List?

1) Pazzini
    2) Maggio

9. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ya same here and i prefer amauri to be the last one of the bench...borriello and quags deserve the spot way more

10. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The NT would be nowhere without the clubs. It should therefore, always and deservedly, come last.

11. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow, Cesare is making quite a statement with his selections. I'm shocked Amauri is going to wear blue. And Balo and Cassano? Prandelli is revamping this squad, no question about it. Very interesting and exciting times for the NT... this definitely isn't Lippi's team anymore.

12. JD75

JD75 Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Amauri is a joke. He's 30 and will be 34 for the WC. He's not Italian. And he scored as many goals as Luca ********ing Toni last season in Serie A. GTFO.

Ridiculous inclusion in an otherwise fine and exciting young squad.

13. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I've followed Serie A long enough (and thuroughly enough) to know full well that Iaquinta has easily been one of the most overrated players in the league in the past decade. I respect the man for his work ethic and heart, but aside from that there's no way he has any business leading the attack for the Azzurri. An overrated Amauri can still potentially do more damage than a no-talent Iaquinta.

14. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Ummmm, why you thinking about the WC when we still gotta worry about Euro 2 years from now? :rolleyes:

I really had a feeling that people were gonna jump to ridiculous conclusions and find something to complain about regarding these call ups. Regardless of the fact that Amauri is there, this squad is already MUCH more talented and has more potential for success than the abomination we saw at the World Cup. Prandelli is making steps in the right direction, and that's encouraging enough for me.

15. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wow...

Finally a true Power Forward: AMAURI. Say good bye to all the weakling Lippi's forward. Good job Quag, you are the only deserving forward to stay.

Now, how do you not drool over Casano, Balo, and Rossi? More importantly, how do you fit them together.

Good luck Pran..

16. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope thats the starting 3 up front :

.....................Rossi
    Cassano.........................Balotelli

Not just for this friendly but for the upcoming qualifying games and ultimately for the Euro in 2 years.

On different note, maybe he didn't call Thiago Motta because he's here in the US with Inter?

17. style_1

style_1 New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You made a good selection, but I want more.

I got:

A midgit playmaker: Rossi
    A True playmaker: Cassano
    A finest playmaker: Balo
    A True Power forward: Amauri

I want to have all ingredient for this recipe.

Now get to work Pran... lolz

18. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    How can Iaquinta be overrated when people don't rate him as is? He is what you say he is: a hard-working player who players with "grinta"/heart. It has been useful in the past but it hasn't worked as of late, largely due to injury problems. He's not the most talented striker in the world, but to call him "no talent" just warrants no comment.

I'm not sure how you or anyone else can rate Amauri. The guy did absolutely squat last season; and the season before, he was completely useless after the first half. So, essentially, a guy who hasn't done shit for a year and a half (and isn't even Italian) gets rewarded with an Azzurri call-up? :confused: Ridiculous.

And ask any Juve supporter if Amauri is more effective than Iaquinta. Neither did much last season, but at least Iaquinta could say he was hurt. And the year before, Iaquinta became the better option.

Frankly, neither of them deserve to be on the Azzurri at the moment.

19. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    They can play together. Balotelli can easily play center forward/target man; frankly, I think that he is best suited to play in that role and was moved to the wing for Inter because they had other options like Milito who weren't quite as adept on the wing.

I think the opposition will dictate whether we play with Cassano, Balotelli and Rossi at once. However, based on talent, you would think that Cassano and Balotelli should be fixtures.

20. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What is this obsession with everyone saying we now have a "True power forward" in Amauri???? Not sure if the people tossing that around are Juve fans, but I for one watching 90% of Juve matches the only true power forward Juve have had in the last 5 years is Trezeguet. Amauri has done zero, and not sure why you feel he is the savior at the forward position for the NT. He rarely scores with the ball at his feet beating defenders. In his time at Juve I've concluded his main strong suit is heading. I haven't seen the sheer power on headers like his from any other player in a long time, yet like everything there is a downside. His accuracy is so inconsistent, he'll connect on goal maybe 15% of the time, in the end all that power behind it is meaningless if not on goal, if that is what you consider a "true power forward" Bernardo Corradi must be world class?

21. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agreed, what has this bum done to warrant a call up? Say it ain't so Prandelli :(

22. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I never suggested that Amauri deserves to be on the Azzurri at the moment. I do however believe that he does have more natural ability than Iaquinta does. And with a solid supporting cast like Cass, Rossi, Balo, and Quags to distribute the ball to him, he might be able to rediscover his best form.

I got tired of Iaquinta on the other hand flubbing chance after chance, and doing very little (if anything) with the ball at his feet from outside the penalty area. You almost get the impression that the guy is a CB, pretending to be a striker. He doesn't have the creativity, or nose for goal that a striker usually needs. Grinta/heart means absolute sweet f**k-all to me when your incompetence is hurting the team even more.

Once again, I really don't know why people are getting all bent out of shape by this ONE Amauri call up anyways. As far as I'm concerned, the chances are VERY good that he won't come anywhere near making that final Euro squad anyways! 2 years from now he's gonna be 33, and he'll likely only lose a step or two with age. With younger guys like GIla and Pazz breathing down his neck, his chances of making the final cut are slim none, so people really need to stop reading too much into this.

23. JD75

JD75 Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Ok, then he'll be 32 for EURO. Too old for a Brazilian who hasn't done a thing since 2008 to be named to the Azzurri.

24. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Who said he's even gonna make the Euro squad? This is why people sometimes need to learn to calm down a bit and not read too deeply into friendly call ups. Especially not when it's the very first of the pre-qualifying friendlies. I honestly invite many of you to look at the callups to Lippi's friendly squad for the pre-WC 2006 qualifiers. You might actually have a good laugh at some of the names that were there.

25. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Amauri will probably get a brief cameo appearance as a substitute, do absolutely nothing and that will be the last we here of him.