Cesare Prandelli's Nazionale

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by asbari1908, Jun 18, 2010.

1. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Since some members don't like the fact that certain Italian players who aren't in the current nazionale names are brought up in the current WC threads, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread where we could discuss the future of the nazionale post South Africa. Players who still have a future, players that will be dropped, players that could possibly recieve call-ups, possible formations...those type of things. I know that we're still right in WC mode, and some of the future is dependent on how we perform in SA, but you get the impression that there will be a lot of changes made.

Three players stand out immediately for me. Cassano, Miccoli, and Balotelli. Obvious, I know. Cassano and Miccoli sorta explain themselves. But with Balotelli I think he is ready right now. Watching this WC, it's been great to see young players be given a chance. This kid has the skills, might be a little Pazzo in the head but he can play. I don't see any other young Italian forwards that have the experience

2. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ps3 limits my character entry...moving on...that he has with INTER/CL. A call-up for sure.

Players that should be dropped? New call-ups? Prandelli's formations? Does he have a no call list? It's 630am here so ill expand on my ideas later. Hope other posters have some ideas too.

3. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    Just to throw some spice into the fray... we will have the option of a healthy:

Alberto Aquilani
    Davide Santon

Man I really wish Davide was healthy... we could use him this WC and clearly he was one of Lippi's favorites. But that's ok- he's a given, a sure thing... Criscito on the other hand wasn't. So in a lot of ways it can be turned into a positive that now we have Criscito and Santon to rely upon going forward...

Can you imagine just how lethal Italia could be if Cassano and Balotelli could harness their personalities and play together? Talk about a dynamic combination of forwards...

4. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gone are Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Gattuso, Camoranesi...have to wait and see on Buffon. Pirlo...probably won't start, have a place somewhere in the squad, at least up until 2012. Don't think we'll see much of Iaquinta anymore either. There may or may not be something between Prandelli and Pazzini, I don't have any proof, just a hunch.

I bet 4-2-3-1 is the formation, as he used at Parma and Fiorentina. Gilardino will be the lead striker, as at Parma and Fiorentina. At Parma, IIRC, he had a three behind of Mark Bresciano and Marco Marchionni on the wings with Domenico Morfeo in the hole; it was Vargas and Santana/Marchionni and Mutu/Jovetic in the hole at Fiorentina. So in essence, it can have the composition of a 4-4-1-1, seemingly with two wingers who can put in defensive work, and then a support striker, as opposed to an attacking midfielder, in the hole. Cassano in this team maybe?

I'm not sure what else, except Chiellini, De Rossi and probably Criscito are starters, along with Gilardino. Montolivo may get a shot alongside De Rossi; but we'll see if Aquilani makes a push. Also, what to do with Marchisio as well.

At the back, Gamberini, Ranocchia and Bonucci may come in at CB alongside Chiellini. Santon and maybe even Lorenzo De Silvestri at RB, not sure on Maggio.

5. Grazie

Grazie New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't want to lose that experience that we always take with us and I think that has proven to be vital in every single one of our world cup triumphs and final/semi-final exploits. We need to give some experience and mix it with some youth because when it matters the experience players know how to step it up and will teach the younger guys a lesson or two.

Guys I would like to keep: Pirlo, Camoranesi, Buffon (of course he is not particularly old at all especially for a keeper).

Guys I would like to see gone: Cannavaro, Gattuso, Zambrotta, Iaquinta, Grosso, Legrottaglie. I do not want to see any more call ups for these guys. Iaquinta can be useful at times but it is time to move on he does not offer enough technique to la nazionale to warrant more call ups.

Buffon
    Maggio, Bonucci, Chiellini, Santon
    De Rossi
    Rossi, Pirlo, Cassano
    Pazzini, Gilardino

Buffon
    Santon, Bonucci, Chiellini, Criscito
    De Rossi, Palombo
    Pirlo
    Balotelli, Pazzini, Cassano

Buffon
    Maggio, Bonucci, Chiellini, Criscito
    De Rossi, Palombo
    Montolivo
    Pepe, Gilardino, Cassano​

There are a lot of variations we can use. We have many other players to utilise as well. I want to keep some experience in the squad though because I think experience is so important and when you lose it your squad loses leaders and loses focus. This is why I supported Cannavaro coming to this WC because he is a leader and he organises the defence well and given that our defence is inexperienced I am happy with his inclusion.

6. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It just needs to be said that this formation borders on insanity. You won't even qualify playing this formation. Probably shave 20 years off of De Rossi's life while you are at it.

7. Grazie

Grazie New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was just incase Prandelli wanted to come in and play 5 attacking players :D I've always been for playing two defensive midfielders (Palombo & De Rossi).

8. DDRoma

DDRoma Member

May 23, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Buffon
    De Rossi
    Pepe Montilivo Cassano
    Gilardino

Key Subs: Rossi, Pazzini, Balotelli, Pirlo, Santon, Di Silverstri​

9. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We going to play in ten to give our opponents little extra help. Is it because De Rossi is just that good? :p

10. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    a couple quick points...gotta watch th US game

I agree with most that the old guard has to go but there is the Pirlo dilemma. I dont think he should be a starter. But if his not a starter, where does he fit in? Can't defend, so if we are holding a lead he doesn't have a place. On the offensive side, I think that he has been pretty average these past few years. I just think there are more players who could make more of an offensive impact who could come of the bench without being defensive liabilities and more versatile in realation to formational positioning. Maybe in early qualifiers but I don't expect to see him in 2012.

Next, Thiago Motta. If we used Camo and even Amauri was considered, why can't he be Italian. Brazil doesn't seem to want him, yet I think he's better than Melo. He's got a passport, and became one of the first names on Jose's teamsheet. Guy's quality.

11. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    haha poor De Rossi, to be honest his potential as a creative player is wasted (much like Gerrard is often wasted for England) if he has to play defensively the whole game. I've said it a few times on here but in a competitive game the last time I remember Italy looking completely comfortable in midfield and creatively in a competitive match was the Euro 2008 qualifier in Bari against Scotland when the midfield was De Rossi and Gattuso and the formation was a 4-2-3-1. I think we'll end up seeing something like this (depending on form):

-----------------Buffon
    --Maggio--Gamberini--Chiellini--Criscito
    -----------De Rossi--Palombo-----------(maybe Marchisio or Montolivo)
    ---Marchionni----Rossi-------Pepe
    -------------------Gila

Players like Santon and Balotelli aren't even regulars for their club so I don't think they should be starting yet, though they should be on the bench, particularly Balotelli who can change the game when he's motivated (which i imagine will be the case if he's pulling on the Italy jersey).

Fullbacks and wingers are still a big question mark, watching Fiorentina though Prandelli likes hard working, consistent wingers with the spark coming from the creative player in midfield and in the hole (for Fiorentina that's Montolivo and Jovetic, for Italy i see that being De Rossi or Marchisio and Rossi/Cassano and maybe Miccoli).

We don't have that left wing presence that Vargas gives for Fiorentina though, who has that wicked shot, pace and work ethic, but Pepe I think is underrated in what he can provide (which is similarly quick feet and a good work ethic) and can fulfill that kind of role.

Rossi plays best just off the striker (simlar to Jovetic) and hasn't been given a chance with that position yet (apart from 45 mins with Toni against Brazil and against the USA in the confed cup). I still wonder if Cassano will be there because as great as he is, and as good as he's been at keeping his cool for Samp, he still has a bad attitude when it comes to not being selected or if he's sitting on the bench (the patch in the season where Del Neri benched him comes to mind).

Right, i'm ranting so i'll stop now :p

12. DDRoma

DDRoma Member

May 23, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma

Ooops. I meant to have Palombo beside De Rossi.

13. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Balotelli maybe, but hopefully Miccoli and Cassano retire from the national team and concentrate on their club careers. Africa was their time to shine.

He is good, but he'll also be 30something by the next world cup, and if we use him at the Euros, it'll just prolong the rebuilding process. Besides I tire of fighting for the oriundi against a wall of opposition. Motta's time to shine was Africa as well.

14. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ….…..De Rossi….Montilivo
    ....Balotelli…………………Motta
    ….....Pazzini………Cassano

15. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thiago Motta?

16. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wouldn't they have to be on the nazionale to retire from it? I don't know, I still think all three players have something to give. I'd cap Motta in a second. It's only 2010, first we have to think about 2012. 2014 is a long way away.

17. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Although Cassano and Miccoli have both played for the national team at on time, I suppose technically you are correct. I'd cap Motta too, but lots of people would have a problem with it, and I'm tired of fighting with other Azzurri fans

18. sss112

sss112 Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Ulaanbaatar
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For me the problem is that Italy don't have quality wingers to play in Prandelli's formation. I would rather play a Christmas tree 4-3-2-1 which utilizes best available players:

----------------------------Buffon(Marchetti)--------------------------

--Maggio(Motta)--Bonucci(Bocchetti)--Chiellini(Ranocchia)--Santon(Criscito)-

-------Aquilani(Montolivo)---De Rossi (Palombo)--Marchisio (Candreva)----

---------------------Balotelli (Miccoli)--Cassano (Rossi)------------------

-----------------------------Pazzini(Gilardino)---------------------------

19. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That lineup is freaking solid - young, quick and imaginative. Wow.

20. asbari1908

asbari1908 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    BARI
    Club:
    AS Bari
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    WOW, that'd be fun to watch. Please Prandelli, PLEAAAAAAASE!!!

21. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    And suddenly the future looks bright

22. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I generally agree that we have a pretty good future. I want to add a couple points:

1. Ranocchia is better than Bonucci. Talent-wise he has Nesta type skills, and once he's fully fit, he'll be anchoring our defense. You can count on that. If he wasn't injured this year, it would be him on the squad.

2. Abate to me is a real talent that needs to be utilized by Prandelli. It's a shame that Leonardo plays him out of position at RB, but even there, he had a pretty strong year (with a couple defensive lapses). Abate is the perfect right winger in a 4-4-2. He's got amazing pace and great skill on the ball. I hope he gets a shot.

3. Candreva to me has a bright future. Everytime that idiot Zac gave him some playing time, he did quite well with Juve. If he gets a primary role with the club, I can see him running our midfield in the future.

4. Really young guys to keep an eye on: Macheda, Paloschi, and Poli. All have immense potential in the next couple years.

23. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Expect a heavy influx of Fiorentina players, which would make sense considering Parandelli's chemistry and knowledge of these players specifically. Gila will obviously be kept around, mainly because he for some reason tends to take his game to another level under Parandelli.

Gamberini will surely be brought back, Montolivo will become a key starting player, while I could definitely see someone like Marco Donadel being thrown into the mix in order to provide some more grit in midfield with Gattuso leaving.

Parandelli also likes to incorporate a more modern, free flowing brand of football, which means that guys like Cassano, Miccoli, and Rossi will very likely be in his plans.

He also like younger talent, so we could definitely see a major facelift for the Azzurri under him.

Older guys that will surely be dropped (gradually) though include:

Gattuso (retiring)
    Cannavaro (retiring)
    Zambrotta
    Grosso
    Iaquinta
    Di Natale
    Camoranesi

I also think that he's choice to replace Cannavaro for team captain will likely be De Rossi.

My only fear with Parandelli is in regards to Pazzini. It's no secret that this guy will likely be our best CF for years to come, but it's also no secret that he and Parandelli didn't exactly part ways on the best of terms. Hopefully Parandelli is a bit less stubborn than Lippi, and won't allow personal differences to come in the way of what's best for the NT.

24. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In terms of captaincy, I'm pretty sure it always goes by number of caps. Depending on who sticks around, and who is starting material, the hiearchy will look like this (Cannavaro and Gattuso are for sure gone):

1. Buffon (100 and somethign caps)
    2. Zambrotta (90 something)
    3. Pirlo (60 something)
    4. De Rossi (50 something)

I highly doubt Zambrotta has anything more to give, so we can scratch him off. Buffon, it depends on his health if he sticks around. Pirlo may be on the bench somewhere, and then De Rossi. So it basically comes down to if Buffon plays or not. De Rossi will get it eventually, though.

25. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I see the road opening up in front of De Rossi. :D

Buffon's healthy at the moment doesn't look to good. The only real obstacle is Pirlo, who in my opinion has lost a more than a step since 2006. He could theoretically stick around, but in my opinion it this point it would probably be wise to build a midfield around Daniele and it's no secret that him and Pirlo haven't lit the world on fire.