Center Midfield Help

Discussion in 'Player' started by doctor_mooch, May 16, 2009.

1. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Could anyone give me advice on how to play Center Midfield. Not defensive or offensive, just box to box. Also some well known CM that i can watch to learn from

2. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    watch a lot of Xavi movements and Iniesta.

- learn how to receive a ball and turn properly, learn how to protect the ball also
    - Always take a glance when receiving a ball of the field , to see if your unmarked
    - Your shot at goal must be very good with both feet, practice it a lot .

3. sarannan

sarannan New Member

May 17, 2009
  4. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Gerrard is the most complete midfielder in the game. Watch him.

5. omega supreme

omega supreme New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Patrick Vieria was one of the best box to box midfielders in his prime.

A box to box player definitley needs excellent stamina and workrate, and the mentaility to track back wherever you find yourself on the pitch.

6. naruto16

naruto16 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    it depends on what you want to contribute in the team.
    Even as center midfielder, you can play a more attacking role or defensive role or a boxtobox role or holding midfielder role...

attacking would be like Iniesta, if you watch him he tries to dribble past defense more often than Xavi, who I consider a holding midfielder because he passes the ball more often.

more defensive would be like Macherano.
    box to box would be like Essien.

for an all in one center midfielder, I suggest you look at Edgar Davids. He is really an all in one. tough, tackles hard, shoots hard, pass well. A fighter in the midfield. :)

7. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    I came on to start a similar thread. I normally play on the wing, or as a trequartista. However on some of my teams I have been finding a need to drift into the center midfield, and have been playing a box-to-box role.

This, particularly, is good advice:

However, I'd like to add something that could be applied to most positions, but that you'll absolutely need as a center mid.:

- Work on your one-two and one-touch passing. You are going to have to dribble working in the middle and be able to pass to either side quickly.

- Work on your speed and dribbling (you don't have to have 'tricks', just standard dribbling is good as long as you're proficient at it).

- Try to hold the ball and to time the runs of the forwards and wingers. Learn to make diagonal runs in case you need to drift in and out of the middle.

8. scottyL

scottyL New Member

May 2, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hey guys,

I'm new here, and I'm from Australia! I'm a centre mid and like the advice here that I've pasted below, but what are some exercises (solo) to do in my yard to improve: (formal exercises/programs would be awesome)

This, particularly, is good advice:

Quote:
    - learn how to receive a ball and turn properly, learn how to protect the ball also
    - Always take a glance when receiving a ball of the field , to see if your unmarked
    - Your shot at goal must be very good with both feet, practice it a lot.

- Work on your one-two and one-touch passing. You are going to have to dribble working in the middle and be able to pass to either side quickly.

- Work on your speed and dribbling (you don't have to have 'tricks', just standard dribbling is good as long as you're proficient at it).

9. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh okay thanks guys
    i have really good vision on the field, smart player, dribbling (meh, it could be better, but can still run full sprint with it), i love through passes, chips, have great chemistry with forwards, so we do lots of give and goes.
    What can you say about the weaker foot. is it ESSENTIAL, or should it just be able to pass and finish from close range. or does it need to be able to finish as well as my right.
    Thanks

10. naruto16

naruto16 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    hmm... just imagine how much better you'll be if you can play well with both feet... a defender can't guess and cant put you on your weaker foot... you can pass and shoot without setting it up for your left/right foot..
    now ask the question again, is it essential? yes it is. do you need it to be 100% as good as your strong foot? not really but good enough for you to feel comfortable using it naturally. :)

11. omega supreme

omega supreme New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I wouldnt say it essential to be equally good with both feet. How many people do you know who are ampidexterous? In all fairness, have one excellent foot and one adequate foot is enough for most players, even professionals.

12. naruto16

naruto16 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    actually thats what I kinda mean.
    I think you should train your weak foot to be at least comfortable with passing and taking shots.

I have always trained my weak foot to pass, shoot, and cross as well as my right.