Center Mid in front of a Back 3

Discussion in 'Player' started by HouseHead78, Jan 14, 2011.

1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our team is moving to a 3-man back line. We don't feel that threatened from the flanks in our league (quality service doesn't exactly come pouring in if a player gets top the endline a few times), and it suits our personnel and allows us to get another mid on the field (our strength), without sacrificing a forward.

I am a center mid, typically in a holding / defensive mid role. What about my typical responsibilities in front of a four-man back line changes now that we have 3 back? My main concerns with the four man back line were (a) communicating with my stopper so we don't take the same space or double mark a runner and (b) covering for a fullback if he was caught forward. Now we won't have a stopper and no fullbacks coming forward.

I'd like some discussion from the smart folks here on what I need to be thinking about as we implement this system.

Thanks!

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Your duties should not change, especially if you are the only holding midfielder. Normally 3-back systems have three centerbacks, no fullbacks. Your responsibility is the center and being well positioned to stop a counterattack when your team is attacking. The big change is with the wide players because depending on how you are organized, the wide players will probably have defensive responsibilty up and down the flanks.

3. McWaters12

McWaters12 Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yeah, you're gonna have to position yourself well to defend against any counter attacks. You'll also to be more careful on which players in the center you mark.

4. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I agree with rca2, your duties shouldn't change.

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think your question has been answered but how is the whole team deployed? 3-4-3 or 3-5-2?

6. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-5-2. We'll have two holding mids, a CAM, and two wide mids.

7. Socratinho

Socratinho Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    You should probably watch some videos of Ajax from the early 90's and keep an eye on Rijkaard. He was playing that position in the system your team is using.

8. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice!

9. aundsoccer1

aundsoccer1 New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with what has been being said. Your resonsibilities should not change a whole lot, however you must be extremely conscious of when and when not to go forward. If you go forward and you or your team loses the ball, you will be extremely vulnerable to counter-attacks. My advice is to keep doing what your doing..continue watching teams and players who have played in this system, and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

10. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had our first legit training session in the new formation last night. I played well with my fellow holding mid - and our defense and attack both worked really well. The presence of a new central defender who communicates really well and passes out of the back helped a lot. With the extra midfielder, I don't have to worry as much about getting forward and can really pick my spots. I like it!

11. Jamesinho

Jamesinho New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I agree with the "your role shouldn't change" comments, but you need to help out the central defenders WHEN YOU CAN. Being in a holding role you pretty much do this anyway. Keep an eye out for the left/right mids if you're playing a back 3, they can be dragged back because they have to follow the other teams wingers and it can disrupt the teams formation. It's also a good idea to practice winning headers because a back 3 will always struggle with long balls.