Center Forward discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, we need to talk about center forward. Our starting option and who backs that guy up.

I believe most rational thought has Josh Sargent in that position. Although there is room to question his performance for club and country. Also, it’s reasonable to put Tim Weah or Jordan Morris there. But that robs Peter to pay Paul - as we then have questions about who plays on the wing. Still, it’s a possibility.

What I’m interest in - who is the next guy on the depth chart?

First, there’s Gyasi Zardes - a player we know what to expect. He’s going to do okay against lower CONCACAF level opposition, he’ll score some lucky goals, he’ll work really hard for the team, but he often creates a vacuum when the competition gets harder. For this reason, we should be concerned that if he’s on the field in a World Cup situation, we’re not likely to get out of the group.

After him, it’s wide open. And I rate our options there about equally. There’s Niko Gioacchini and Sebastian Soto who both scored a brace in their debut, which this should earn them another look despite the fact they’re meddling in their second divisions - leagues that are lower level than MLS. Then, there’s Ayo Akinola who also scored in his debut, but now he’s flirting with Canada and not such a sure bet himself. For that reason, I have to bump him down a notch. That’s what we’ve seen, so far. There’s still Haji Wright who is turning into a solid pro in Denmark - a level very comparable to MLS. There are a lot of holes in Wright’s game, and even though he’s still young enough to be Olympic eligible, he is one of our older options. Aron Johannsson is playing and scoring again, but he’s the oldest of the bunch, and there are too many uncertainties with his health history to want to start to count on him to be around when you need him. Daryl Dike is a very promising prospect - he’s young, he has the athleticism, but he’s still very raw. I see him as a poor man’s Romelu Lukaku. Folarin Balogun looks very promising for Arsenal, and if he could become a first team player for them, or maybe for Stuttgart if he transfers there, he could be the answer to our prayers. That said, there’s some concern he doesn’t have the size to really perform at center forward. Jesus Ferreira seems to have flamed out and he seems better suited as withdrawn striker. Ricardo Pepi is very promising but he’s still so young. In fact, he would only be 18 years old come the World Cup. Jeremy Ebobisse seems to score, but he also seems like a poor man’s Gyasi Zardes. He seems to fallen behind Akinola and Dike in the MLS forward depth chart. Looking back at Europe - Andrija Novakovich is turning into a consistent scoring threat, but question remains if he could do it at higher level - as he seems to be unable to get out of the second division. Also, it doesn’t help him that he’s months too old to be Olympic eligible. Meanwhile, Matthew Hoppe is in the first division with Schalke, but they are facing a really difficult relegation battle. Also, he has a lot of work to do to be a regular first team player even for them. And we don’t know if he can be a scoring threat yet or not. Joe Efford is a bit of wildcard but desperate times require desperate measures. If he can score, he deserves a look. Charlie Kelman is still a contender, but at this point, considering he’s nothing more than a fringe sub for a Championship team - his focus is probably on the Olympics than on the senior team. Patrick Koffi is down on the depth chart, but it’s not like it’s unreasonable to believe a striker for Paris FC could earn a call up to the national team. I still haven’t forgot about Jordan Siebatcheu - but being a mediocre striker in a mediocre league doesn’t exactly excite me to get into a big recruitment battle for his services. Now, the youth prospect who could go from not in the picture to starting contender overnight is Malick Sanogo. If he can become a first team player for Union Berlin and be a legit scoring threat, he’s going to be a must for us. Lastly, I haven’t forgotten about Jozy Altidore. But I think we’ve seen the last of him as he has not been the same striker with his injury history. Nonetheless, if Jozy could get healthy, stay healthy, and find some of his old form, his presence would really help this team.

Of course, there’s always other options. But at this point, they’re not worth the energy to type out. Unless there’s someone out there that y’all know of that could play center forward for us?

So, the question is - if you had to decide between Zardes, Altidore, Balogun, Siebatcheu, Sanogo, Kelman, Novakovich, Soto, Gioacchini, Akinola, Dike, Ebobisse, Hoppe, Efford, Koffi, Pepi, Ferreira, Johansson, and Wright, who do you pick? There’s a lot of potential there, but not necessarily a lot who are unquestionably can’t miss prospects. As we move forward, who do we invest energy in, and who misses out?

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If put Dike and Soto above well above Akinola. I'd like to see more of Gioacchini.

sXeWesley repped this.
  3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think pressing, defense, and things other than scoring are going to factor into the decision more than most people think.

I think we're going to get a lot of our goals from wingers, CMs. I think it's going to be as important to Berhalter that the player who likely backs up Josh can a) press for close to 90 minutes and b) help in the build up as it will be for them to be late goalscoring option.

The only other big factor I could see is if someone really starts to show well in the air. I could see that ability to come in and be a target really play a role.

I don't think it's going to be pure traditional goalscoring. The player will go as a rotational player with some stylistic adds -- namely aerial ability since Josh is not great at heading in crosses -- and not as a "this guy scores goals." Mostly because I don't think we're going to see someone overwhelmingly grab that role. And partially because that guy might really be a winger like Weah or Morris coming in at striker.

In terms of who that is?

Ebobisse could actually be a nice long shot - he's good in the air, and has a well rounded game that not all the youngsters have yet.

Zardes doesn't fit half the role, but there's a reason why he's the current incumbent.

I think Jozy is right out unless he's there as a 3rd striker. He cannot start a game, and that's the same dumb mistake we've made over and over regarding the roster.

I suspect most of the high upside guys are a bit too young -- Pepi, Sanogo. I don't think Balogun ends up with us, but he'd be right up there if selected.

If I had to pick a 20 year old, it's Soto -- he does have a scoring knack. But I' not sure he's going to do the work. We will see.

I don't think a lot of these guys -- Vassilev, Kelman, Hoppe, Ferreira, so on, are good enough. Novakovich isn't what Berhalter is looking for. Johannson's not going to be intact, and you can't rely on him for a tourney setting.

I think the Dike, Akinola, Haji group is headlined by Dike, but they all half to prove they can do more than muscle onto long balls. I suspect Dike might.

I think over the next year both Soto, Dike and Pepi start to move up. If one of them seizes it, likely Soto, then it's likely then.

If not, get ready for Zardes time. :)

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ebobisse has shown no sign of being good enough to start internationally.

5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I don't think he's a star or anything, but he had 9g and 3a in less than 1,400 minutes this year when they finally let him player striker.

He's good in the air. He's got a strong work rate. He's pretty good at finding the ball. I don't think he's anything special, but I'm not sure what "start internationally" is.

Could he start an international match? For sure. The standard there is Zardes and others like him. I mean, we're probably starting him or someone like him in the Gold Cup for sure.

He's my wildcard to be a backup (not #1) because in a couple of years, he could have improved, will be hitting closer to his peak, and he's a well rounded player on a team that seems to want a well rounded striker.

I'm not sure the other youngsters are going to be there in terms of complete games. I'm not betting on him versus the field or anything, but I think people underestimate him and underestimate flexible, well rounded players.

As I said, I don't think the backup striker will only be determined by goalscoring.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is good analysis, and a good point to make - who is going to best compliment the quality attackers we do have?

If I had say, Pulisic on the left, Weah (or Morris) on the right, Reyna in the hole, and Adams and McKennie roaming the middle (with Musah or Otasowie coming off the bench), I think you’re right that we need someone who can hold up and be a physical presence up top.

I still think Sargent will be our de facto main man. But I can see Dike and Soto being the front runners to back him up. Soto being a little more quality in the goal scoring department, but Dike being a physical beast that opens up space for our dynamic attackers. I think Pepi is too young, but I hope to be wrong.

gogorath repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    1. Morris. Has elite pace and quickness. Has an excellent scoring record at both international and club level
    2. Zardes. Good scoring record at both club and international level. Solid floor. Good at pressing.
    3. Sargent. Outstanding at pressing from the forward position. Needs to pick up the scoring.

There's solid potential among the rest of the pool.
    Ebobisse(1), Dike(1)(2), Efford(3), Wright(3), Pepi(4), Soto(7), Nova(7), Kellman(5), Ferreira(6), Sanogo(5), Siebatcheu(3)
    1. Is ready for a shot with the U23s
    2. Needs to build on his breakout year
    3. Needs to put together an entire season.
    4. Needs to become a starter
    5. Needs to get minutes.
    6. Needs a reset
    7. Needs to move up a league

50/50 Ball and butters59 repped this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    There are two major wishcastings going on right now in the USMNT sphere.

#1 is Gio Reyna is a lock starter (A year from now, maybe. But he didn't exactly shine in his debut weekend).

#2 is Sargent (or Weah) is starting over Zardes. Zardes is the #1 striker, and no one has done enough to unseat him at this point. Although it's certainly possible to do so.

If Weah's form and body hold up, then it starts getting interesting. Also, it's possible Balogun is our best #9, although he's barely played for the first team.

9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ebobisse is a good player, with a well rounded game and good athletic ability.He's been the starting #9 for 2 different cup runs for Portland and has played all across a front line.

He's done what we claim see want from our players, he's fought for and earned his playtime against high priced imports, playing every game for 2 years before getting a concussion.

I would be confident that the USMNT would play well with him as the starter right now.

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Reyna’s form falls off the face of the planet, he’s an automatic lock starter.

sXeWesley, jjmack and russ repped this.
  11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've said in a different thread, I honestly think the striker position is going to be a rotating committee based on who is playing around the striker and what the attacking game plan is against a particular opponent.

There will be games where the striker will need more of Sargent's hold-up play. At other times, we'll need more of a poacher at the 9. Still at other times, we'll need a striker who needs to make runs toward goal. Unfortunately, no one player has all of those qualities (and unless your name is Robert Lewandowski, no striker on the planet has all of those qualities). So the striker position will probably need 3-5 players (with some, like Morris and Weah, also able to play other forward positions).

If I could wave a magic wand, I'd prefer a striker in the Giroud mold as my "base" striker since I think that type of player would complement Pulisic and Reyna more than others. But since Giroud is a very unique player (I think he's the most underrated player in the last 10-15 years - he never gets the plaudits and playing time he has deserved), we'll have to find the best way to approximate it.

largegarlic and gogorath repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I interestingly think striker might be in Gio’s future. I see a mix between Berbatov and Henry in his game. Although more of a natural playmaker than either.

Calling BS repped this.
  13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think Gio either in that role or at the top of a midfield diamond could be an option in the tool kit. Having players like Pulisic, Morris, and Weah who can make runs and drive to goal makes that type of role feasible.

The good thing I see is that there is enough talent and versatility to keep the attack unpredictable. That’s definitely not a bad thing.

gogorath repped this.
  14. Orioles Magic

Orioles Magic Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 30, 2020
    For me, it's all about landing Balogun and Sanogo. One or both would be among our best options for the next 2 cycles, if not our starting 9/CF.

sXeWesley repped this.
  15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I doubt we’ll see it anytime soon, but a midfield Diamond with Reyna on top, McKennie and Musah or other on the sides, Tyler in back and Pulisic and Weah/Morris up top might be it damn good in certain situations.

RefIADad repped this.
  16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Both look very good in what I’ve seen of them, but I’d also throw out that I think Pepi has that kind of upside as well.

Dude is a beast.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was very disappointed in Pepi the last youth tournament. I don’t know why, but he couldn’t seem to get go. He’s still so young, that I don’t know if we know what he’ll be. But he should be considered a very elite prospect. I’m hoping 2021 is a breakout year for him.

gogorath repped this.
  18. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Zardes is the "nobody progressed" option. Baseline we'll get pressing and strong runs that allow Pulisic and Reyna to work better. If that's the level of player we're starting in 2016 with a potential world class midfield behind him, I'll scream.

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly, but let's not anoint players before they've done anything. They (especially Sanogo) haven't played anyone. I think there's a grass is always greener on the other side mentality at play here.

Dike, Pepi, or even Sargent still are on good future trajectories, if that's our criteria. The issue is there's nobody that stands out right now, other than Morris. So it's a no brainer you play him there most games to upgrade your lineup.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That setup by Wicky also led a lot of people to be very disappointed in Reyna. Now he's considered one of the very best teens in the world.

The FW's got zero service. Wicky didn't implement a press. That's Pepi's forte. When they did it in the pre-tourney friendly, Pepi was excellent and scored a good goal at Brasil.

He had an underwhelming season, but probably had covid at one pt considering FCD had an outbreak, & finished the season strong. 17 is crazy young for a striker. We forget that. Sanogo is getting a ton of hype & at only a year and a half younger he's a u17-u19. Pepi debuted for FCD's senior team around this pt. I think he'll probably breakout next season, which would put him ahead of Lewandowski's early pace, and around Haaland's (not saying he'll be that good, but it's perspective).

sXeWesley and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Pepi didn’t play a ton but his per minute production was strong.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played 19 games and scored 3 goals across them. I realize he only accumulated 502 minutes, but getting to go full energy at tired legs so often is an advantage.

Also, one of his whole sample of three goals was just bungled in. He biffed a lot of chances he should have scored. And his target play was weak in most of the games. Since you can't draw any real conclusions from that sort of sample, this is where the eye test helps.

He should be good but we shouldn't have illusions that he has been already.

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The 4-3-3 that is being used lately by the NT fits Sargent pretty well. He presses like a madman and he can drop down, receive the ball, protect it, lay it off to a winger and then rush up to provide an option for a goal. It also used to fit Altidore pretty well but he has really dropped in quickness.

So who else? Reyna might do well there. Pepi is one to look out for in the future. Zardes can do the pressing but is less impressive in possession. There are a lot of guys who look like they might have the tools for this but no CFs are really playing at a level where they look up to Josh's level.

24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree. Pepi's production is outstanding for a 17 year old but will it go up like we want it to in the next year?

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not mean to state that I was writing Pepi off because of that tournament... just pointing to how young he is. He’s still one of the main prospects at CF I’m looking at. I just don’t know if 2022, he’ll be ready in time. Hopefully, he breaks out and becomes a star for us.