Celtic in Europe

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by MOGG, Dec 8, 2004.

1. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    Celtic got unlucky last night. They did ok to get a draw with A.C. Milan but who would have tought that Shaktar would have beaten Juve......

Will this benefit Celtic in their challenge to regain the SPL title as Rangers are still in the Uefa cup??????

2. uber_coupon

uber_coupon New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Copland Rear, Ibrox
    I didnt want Celtic to exit the comp this early.

If Rangers manage to get a decent run in the Waffa Cup - I think Celtic will win the league.

Doesnt change the fact that both teams are lacking in certain areas.

3. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    Thats true but it's just a waste of time for Gres cause lets face it their not going to win it, and they'd have a lot better chance of winning the league if they weren't in the uefa cup......

4. uber_coupon

uber_coupon New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Copland Rear, Ibrox
    excellent point Mogg and duly noted. However, a decent run in Waffa will suffice, if it means we can raise the reputation of the scottish game as did celtic when reaching seville, then that'll do for me.

Obviously the league is my primary concern though, but i wouldnt want the gers to give up on a european venture just for the sake of a 51st league title.

I know alot of gers fans wont appreciate that view.

5. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    Ye thats a good point to. It will be a lotter better for scottish football if Gers were to get to the final or near enough and improve the reputation.

I'll now be hoping that Gers geta good run in europe and do the Scottish league proud....

6. uber_coupon

uber_coupon New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Copland Rear, Ibrox
    the midweek games will no doubt take there toll on the players and a good run in Europe for Rangers will do absolutely no harm whatsoever to Celtics league campaign.

All in all, what's good for Rangers in the European scene is good for both Celtic and Scotland overall.

I salute your non-biased reasoning MOGG, it's very commendable.

7. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    Thank you very much uber_coupon and i wish Rangers the very best in europe and your right it can only be a good thing for Celtic and the Scottish league that Gers do well in europe...

8. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    As odd as I feel agreeing w/ the Coupon, I have to concurr. When the positions have been reversed (as they have been these last couple of years) I have always supported Celtic's efforts in Europe as a better goal to pursue for the club than the league title. After all, 1st or 2nd what's the difference really unless you are talking about the oh-so-dreary one-upmanship over the local 'Gers supporters. Or vice versa this year.

Do your club and country proud and focus on Europe. If Celtic have proved anything the last couple of years it is that a little talent and a lot of Scottish courage can take you a long way towards the Euro Vase.

Oh yes, and On Heart of Midlothian! How frickin' cool would it be to get Real Madrid?

9. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    This is true and i hope that every supporter of the scottish league will be behind Gers to do well in europe....

And ye it would be cool to see Hearts vs Real Madrid......

10. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Don't want to pick hairs here but failure to beat na understrength Milan side, who did not give two hoots about the result has to be seen as poor for Celtic.

I think if Rangers put a UEFA Cup run together, it would affect their league chances although, if they finish 2nd in that group, a decent run would be extremely doubtfull.

It would have been a nice thing to see 3 Scottish side in Europe past Christmas.

11. CdnBhoy67 redded

CdnBhoy67 redded Red Card

Dec 2, 2004

All we need now is for Rangers and Hearts to get booted out of Europe which should not take long. Though some posters want them to stay in longer, not me i want them out. No success for the Huns and junior Huns will make my Christmas.....hohoho!

12. uber_coupon

uber_coupon New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Copland Rear, Ibrox
    so, so bitter.

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I'll bet Juve must be very tired and confused playing in the Ukraine last night and now off to play in Israel tonight. You think they know they're really in Group C and not Group F? I blame the Traveling & Fixtures secretary myself...........

14. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    I dunno, I guess a part of me would enjoy the schadenfreude but the bigger part would be dissapointed for Scottish football.

I try to look at it this way. If Dallas FC -- the hated, hated, hated, rivals of the Chicago Fire -- were to put together a CONCACAF Cup run would I pull for them? Yes, because it would reflect well on MLS and US Soccer. Would I secretly smile were they to fall? Yes, but not so much as I would be dissapointed at our failure to do well.

Club vs. Country I guess. Probably easier for a Canuck to say such things as above than a Scot.

15. uber_coupon

uber_coupon New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Copland Rear, Ibrox
    I had no idea. Where does their rivalry come from? It seems like the oddest of enemies.

16. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    It goes back to the Dallas club's original name. Prior to the 2004 "rebranding" to Dallas FC, the club was knows and the Dallas Burn. They played in the same conference as the Chicago Fire (no single table in MLS, Americans wouldn't know what to make of it) and in '98 the fans' and management of both clubs came up with a competition, The Brimstone Cup, awarded to the team with the best season record in head-to-head play.

Not much to go on as European rivalries go, I know. But we're a young league and what good's football league without a bit of hate between the sides.

BTW, we also hate our "neighbors" in Columbus, mostly because their fans are lame and the Chicago Ultras can bring 20 fans to away gamesand "own" the place as far as cheering goes.

We hate LA because of the fact that they have beaten us in a couple of tournaments and games between the clubs are almost always ill-tempered.

We hate the MetroStars because they suck and stole our winning coach Bob Bradley.

But we hate the Burn the most. :D

17. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    Next to seeing Celtic win ,watching Rangers lose is almost as enjoyable. Yes i love my club side more then my countries side, cause the Canadian side is nothing more then a joke. They lose to mickey mouse nations like Guatemala,Costa Rica etc and they wonder why people don;'t come out and watch them. Celtic is a team that puts out 100% effort every match and provides excitement, the same can't be said for the Canadian side. And i love my national side, you don't know how it pains me to write this , but the CSA doest seem interested in improving the side so why should we care?

18. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    Ye hate a lot of people don't ye?

Do ye like anybody????

19. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    So you are a glory hunting bitter Canadian!

You are starting to amuse me know with your views though. I don’t think I’ve ever come across anyone as biased as you!

20. CdnBhoy67 redded

Dec 2, 2004
    And you a Hun are not biased? You're cemedy post would be good in the Sunday funnies.

21. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    I know I’m not biased. Or bitter. Unlike yourself. I take it you are a raging bigot as well.