Celia Okoyino da Mbabi: Algarve Cup 2012 vs WWC 2011

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by ralmcg, Mar 8, 2012.

1. ralmcg

ralmcg Member

I noticed that Celia Okoyino da Mbabi helped the German team defeat the Japanese team at the 2012 Algarve Cup. I looked at the FIFA Women's World Cup website and noticed that she was also a starter at the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup and played the entire match in the quarterfinals against Japan. I am wondering where was the goal-scoring magic at that game when it was needed to advance to the semifinals. Did she do any kicking towards the goal. I know she didn't succeed, judging from the Japan 1-0 Germany score.

2. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Celia is a great striker, but in many matches Neid used her as an OM. E.g. during the Loss against Japan or during the first two matches of the Algarve Cup.

3. ralmcg

ralmcg Member

Never the less, had Ms. Mbabi scored at least one goal, and Japan didn't score, then the game would have been over in regulation and Germany would have advanced to the semifinals. That would have meant no "Nadeshiko Fever" in Japan. That would also mean, had Germany defeated Sweden in the semifinals, a trip to the Olympics for Germany, including Ms. Mbabi. It wouldn't necessarliy mean that Germany would have defeated the USA and win the Women's World Cup for the third time but if Ms. Mbabi was the great scorer she was in the 2012 Algarve Cup Germany would have a fighting chance.

By the way, does OM stand for outer midfielder or does it mean something else?