CCS beat Minnesota on the road for first win!

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by LordRobin, May 18, 2009.

1. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnesota 0:1 Cleveland! How about that?! Given the start to the season, I never thought the first win would come on the road.

This pulls us out of the cellar, ahead of now-more-hapless-than-us Minnesota, and only one point behind the darlings of the CONCACAF Champion's League, Montreal.

Maybe Mr. Underwood is finally piecing the puzzle together!

------RM

2. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny reading some of the Minnesota reaction to the game. This is from duNord

My team the Minnesota Thunder took us all to a new low this past weekend, playing miserable soccer with very little passion and getting beat by one of the worst teams I have seen in years, Cleveland City Stars. So far after 6 games the team is 0 wins, 4 losses and 2 ties, good for dead last in the league. The performance was the equivalent of throwing up all over your own shirt. Sad and depressing. How am I supposed to convince people to come see this team when it performs with so little heart or effort.

It wasn't a pretty win, but it was still a win. Minnesota outshot us, but from the stats it looed like very few of them were on target. I also liked watching the USL highlights that were clearly cut by Minnesota. They don't show any of our chances, just our goal.

Carolina is going to be a strong test these next two weeks.

3. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you're in Germany, but you could at least watch the archive of the entire game. :p
    It was a decent one.

4. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on getting your first win in the 1st. There was alot of love for Leo in the stands and plenty of people were hoping to see Godfrey too.

5. Rich P

Rich P Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Cleveland, OH
    I have watched every City game this season with the exception of the loss in Austin. Here's what I've noticed so far:

1-With the exception of the strong play of Hunter the last three games, we have nothing to hang our hats on. Individually, Hayden, Stovall, Pato Aguilera, and Julian Valentin, have done well, but the rest of the team hasn't done much of anything.

2-With the exception of Pato, we have no creativity in the midfield whatsoever. The goal we scored in Minnesota was simply someone being in the right place at the right time.

3-City has no personality...it's not an offensive team, not a physical team, not a crafty team...just looks like a bunch of guys running around in the same colored shirts. Last season, we were a strong, attacking team that was fun to watch. This year, feh....

4-I have absolutely zero faith that Odd Underwood has any coaching ability whatsoever.

CCS has gotten points in games where they have played against teams at their own level. Unless somehow we can pull a rabbit out of our hats, we're gonna get smoked badly by teams like Rochester, PR, Vancouver, Charleston, and Carolina, which will make it a long season.

6. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words, City may have overreached by jumping up a division. Certainly they shouldn't have done it if they couldn't hold on to their team. (Nice to see the Carolina City Stars in first place...)

------RM

7. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    I agree with 1-3, but #4 bugs me a little bit and it's because of the excellent statement below.

Guess whose NOT going to win USL Exec. of the Year!??!?!!? I think Underwood is going to be the scapegoat which is a shame.

8. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the executives' fault. They lost the coach and all those players before the league even gave them the option to move up.

You can't blame them for that.

9. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    yeah, you're right....but this is just depressing.

10. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCS had way to many holes to fill in one off-season and not enough time to find the players they needed. When given time, CCS has a pretty good record at finding some talented players and fielding good teams.

Whether or not Underwood is the answer at coach is yet to be seen however it is probably pretty early, and the team is pretty bad, to drop the axe on coach. If Columbus 08 is any lesson, sometimes giving the coach some time is good.

Still, it may be a good time to grit your teeth and just enjoy the season best you can.