#CCLFEVER (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Feb 21, 2020.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morris scored goals against Mexico and Uruguay. He has an assist against the Netherlands. He has a drawn against Mexico.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pulisic. Sure.
    Reyna is a budding young star. Is he 90 minutes-a-game yet?
    Weah. Get back to me when he can stay healthy and establish himself.
    Sargent. Has fallen off a cliff. And has never established himself as a 90 minutes-a-game.
    Altidore. His numbers don't support the case folks make for him.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I wouldnt call Morris our best player in 2019. Weah is raw, but still a much more well rounded player. If he can get healthy, he will improve at much faster pace. He showed well in 2018 against some strong competition (goal against bolivia and nice assist vs Colombia). Throw in club performances and fee paid for him, I struggle to see him as a starter as being controversial.

Patrick167 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Weah has 3 goals and an assist in 11 appearances in the Scottish league.

5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    So two friendlies in 2015 and one this year.

The Mexico friendly in 2015 wasnt in a FIFA window.

Uruguay was missing plenty of players including Suarez, Cavani, Lozano, Torreirra, and Godin.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    But better than the Scottish League.

4 friendlies.

7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Yeah, this is the time your apparent hatred for MLS just makes you look silly. I don't think Weah has even played in a year. Looked decent in a couple US friendlies in 2018? a game for PSG years ago? Some games in Scotland, which I think is a weaker league than MLS?

This argument just doesn't really work, and I'm generally on the side of "European players are better".

DHC1 and largegarlic repped this.
  8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I am not sure what is silly about not thinking a player is an auto starter. Morris has some good qualities but far from the type of complete player that doesnt make me want to look for a better option. I think his skill set would be better suited for coming off the bench when we are playing more direct.

My statement was that if everybody was healthy, there are players I would put in front of Morris. Even then, it doesnt mean Morris wouldnt ultimately win the spot. Who knows if Weah will even make it back to where he was. He still looked to be a more dynamic and complete player who combined better with his teammates in 2018 than Morris looked in 2019.

I guess their plan of playing a bunch of poor players throughout 2019 has been successful in getting people to hype players that didnt completely suck. I think Morris was probably the best MLS player in 2019, but I dont see much of his game translating to higher levels. Maybe it does, but history gives many reasons to question it.

Oh, add Wood to the list of players that I'd play first.

Do you really think scoring a goal like this is justification to be an international starter? People talk about Long's physical abilities and defending but this doesnt look like an international defender to me.

9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Lol, nice one...quickly move from "he's a bench warmer behind a 20 year old who's been injured for a year and has 15 first team appearances" to "why are you arguing with me, i just said he's not an AUTO STARTER".

When people start manipulating arguments, I step away.

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Where did I say this? "he's a bench warmer behind a 20 year old who's been injured for a year and has 15 first team appearances"

This all started by questioning whether he is a lock starter...

He still isnt an auto starter to me and I would look to others first... if healthy. Morris has improved in areas but still a limited player. His speed, strength and quality runs are a positive but prefer more complete players. I am not sure what I have manipulated???

11. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also scored for PSG.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in the house for that league goal. I failed to get the U S A chant going despite my best effort. I think he also got a cup goal for PSG.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Meh.

15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's 16!

yurch10 repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And that how he looks.

17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was impressed with the turn and pass leading to a big chance in the box.

18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Uruguay's players refused to run on the part of the field that was the converted infield. Game was a joke and the goal a total fluke and nothing special from Morris.

His good games this calendar were against Cuba and Canada at home. He did nothing of note in the Gold Cup, did nothing against Mexico in that final, and nothing earlier in the year.

19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    All the MLS teams ran out of gas in the 70th minute. The usual media suspects just wanted to excuse this as "preseason". We have such a wimpy media and culture. These games are on the schedule, they are in the CCL season, so not a preseason game in any definition. Teams play UCL games in June and July and August, but nobody says bad performances in those are anything but bad performances.

No, the MLS teams should be ready. Sports science in 2020 can certainly get players ready to go in 3 weeks. Of course, that is probably the answer: sports science. The MLS teams don't want to be 90' fit.

The conclusion about Toronto's CCL run and subsequent terrible season (and SKC who went all out last year), is that getting to peak now is detrimental to a large chunk of the MLS season. Now, NYRB and some other teams have played 90', I believe, and done fine in MLS, but that is the theory.

So, the idea seems to be to get to 70' for these away legs, play hard to get some away goals, hold on as best as possible for the last 20'. Get 80' or 90' for the return home leg which is close to MLS matchday 1.

I think that probably worked for them all but LAFC. LAFC would have had to commit to being more ready to face Leon. Luckily, Leon couldn't finish and LAFC could pull an upset.

bsky22, 50/50 Ball and TimB4Last repped this.
  20. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good post. TFC went all in with their all conquering 2017 team and got to PKs for the cup, then promptly fell apart when the whole team was hurt

I suppose every team had to decide if they are good enough to go all in.

Watching KC pass Toluca of the field was cool... and then Monterrey came calling.

21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yet, the narrative is that he is in the form of his, the best player for the usmnt in 2019, and a lock starter. Some people set the bar so low for these MLS players... the exact opposite of what these people do for the foreign based players.

These people cant accept criticism of any kind vs the players they rate, but they are the most critical of the ones they dont. Somehow me pushing back on Morris being a lock starter gets confused as I think he sucks and shouldn't be in the program.

I view Morris to be at a similar level as Morales. They both have the physical tools and arent overwhelmed by the game, but have limitations. They are nice depth and would likely start now due to injury, but I would want better.

DHC1 repped this.
  22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He was in good form in MLS and the playoffs. But with the nats he was playing FIFA #70 and #140 or something. He did well in those games, FWIW. Recency bias is strong.

23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I thought Lennon and Hyndman were both decent for Atlanta last night. Lennon worked hard and got up and down the right flank. There just wasn't much spark to his game...all game, it was pretty much try to push the ball past the defender and send in a mediocre cross. Hyndman did well circulating the ball and linking the defense and offense, but again, not much spark to make you think, "Wow! This guys needs a call-up."

50/50 Ball repped this.
  24. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hyndman missed 2% of his passes, what a bum. definitely no nagbe...

25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think Pulisic is the only lock starter in the attack right now. The other spots are up for grabs. Morris has played well and will get more deserved chances. Really liked that cross in the highlights, by the way. But if Weah gets healthy, there is no reason to think he won't seriously challenge for a spot. And Berhalter has only used Morris on the wing. Game today, Morris is the guy. In another year or two, things may look a lot different. Neither has done enough to be a lock in the way we know Pulisic sees the field no matter who is healthy and in form. Then again, Weah could end up challenging for the striker role and leave Morris to the wing. We've still got a lot of unanswered questions and very few locks at this point. And half those locks are never healthy.

50/50 Ball and DHC1 repped this.