#CCLFEVER (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Feb 21, 2020.

1. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's live soccer in the evenings featuring many American eligible players playing in the same places they are going to be playing for WCQ. Let's discuss.

Jordan Morris was a dangerous man last night.

1230708761179803649 is not a valid tweet id

2. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlights from NYCFC v San Carlos

Parks and Sands started and Scally got about 30 minutes. Three u23 Yanks, that's not bad.

3. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Could just be the grainy feed, but looks to me like Jordan has dropped a few lbs.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  4. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Also Sean Johnson getting beaten like a drum.

5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frei looked much better last night. I don’t know why he’s not in the argument.

largegarlic repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Seems unfair, though, that the San Carlos players kept taking shots that bounced before the ball reached the goal line.

7. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The highlights for Seattle.

They started Jordan and Roldan (as a CM) and gave 16 year old Leyva 13 big minutes to close out the game.

IndividualEleven and TimB4Last repped this.
  8. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked powerful, he is much broader than the average winger.

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    heck of a left footed shot in the first half.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  10. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1230730183872696321 is not a valid tweet id

Leyva almost got a goal and an assist. Look at the calm work in the box here.

largegarlic and TimB4Last repped this.
  11. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, it's weird to me that Johnson and Hamid keep getting looks. They're both old enough at this point that it doesn't make sense to expect dramatic improvement, and they've both proven to be mediocre at best for the USMNT. Frei is consistently better than both in MLS play, and while he is older, he could still capably serve as a backup for this cycle.

Pegasus and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  12. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I watched most of the Seattle game and thought Morris picked up right where he left off last year--really dangerous throughout and maybe our best winger outside of Pulisic. Leyva looked pretty good is his minutes, especially for a 16-year-old playing on the road in Honduras in a tight game.

USSoccerNova, gogorath and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked so calm. That turn and layoff under pressure really caught the eye.

gogorath repped this.
  14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Do you guys really need more than one thread to discuss average MLS players who dont belong playing international soccer?

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    The Morris setup was beautiful and his goal was the exact type of opportunism you need in a challenging away game. Great to see a NTer stepping up in the CCL, hopefully he can keep it up.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think there won't be any MLS players playing in Central American qualifiers then I am happy to offer you very reasonable terms on a busy bridge into Manhattan.

DON'T DELAY! I have very limited stock and this kind of opportunity does not come around often.

Edit: In seriousness, you can surely see how the CCL is a pretty fair measuring stick for regional qualifications?

17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the building of positive associations with some of these places, scoring goals in Honduras etc.

jnielsen and An Unpaved Road repped this.
  18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I just wish there werent many playing in those games. We got plenty of chances to see these players against Concacaf competition at home and it wasnt pretty. I wouldnt mind having Morris coming off the bench, but not much interests me beyond that.

I just dont understand why there needs to be another thread to over hype these players. people seem ok discussing play in the CL and Europa League in the YA thread.

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yet we ignore the guy who actually jumped on a loose ball in Honduras last cycle. If only he played in MLS.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morris is a lock starter in the team.

USSoccerNova and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    That is questionable if everyone is healthy.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morris can play striker and the wide positions. Who is starting over him? Pulisic in a wide position. That's about it.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    then don’t read the thread, bsky22.

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Morris hasnt proven anything against any decent opponents. I'd start Altidore, Sargent, Weah, Pulisic, and Reyna over him. I dont think it is long before Llanez and Ferriera would be ahead of him.

25. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    What exactly has Weah done to be starting over our best player in 2019?

Isn't the entire argument most make (including me) against Jozy that he doesn't play well when it matters/against good-ish opponents?

I'll give you Pulisic/Reyna/likely Sargent (his form for the worst team in the B1 doesn't bother me), but all 4 are pretty close in my opinion, and I'd start the most in form choices.