CC Rd. 3: West Bromwich Albion v. Arsenal (24 Oct) [R]

Discussion in 'West Bromwich Albion' started by DevilDave, Oct 22, 2006.

1. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Albion are flying high on the strength of four consecutive wins in the league after the derby win. Now a brief break between derbies as Arsenal come to the Hawthorns for the Carling Cup Tuesday night.

The main question is, how seriously are Mowbray and Wenger going to treat this tie? I know we can expect for than a few reserve players for Arsenal, but who might feature for us?

Ellington and Kamara weren't bad today, but could Phillips start if he is healthy? Will Hartson start a match? Might we even see Stuart Nicholson make another first team appearance? I've got to believe McShane should be back in the side at the back, as will Carter in the middle.

A good run in one of the cups might be nice and would be great for the supporters. Our priority, however, should be remaining close to the top of the league, and if we exit against the Gunners (while at least putting forth a respectable performance) I might not be too bothered. Putting out a strong squad to beat Blues at St. Andrews Saturday is far more important IMO.

On the other hand, I could also see Mowbray visualising this fixture as a test of whether he is truly worthy to become a Premiership manager, and could counter Wenger's choosing to play his reserves with a strong side. Surely the thought of the Albion first team sweeping aside an under-strength Arsenal (certainly not impossible given recent form) has to be at the back of Mowbray's mind.

2. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Bromwich Albion 0 Arsenal 2

Disappointing to lose, but not entirely worrying.

Started off with a mix of second string, but some of the regulars eventually found their way in through substitutions. A bit surprised that Kamara didn't start up front, and stayed in midfield when he was substituted in.

However various reports had us playing 4-5-1 tonight... the very formation Albion fans had been moaning about when Bryan Robson was fired.

All together now, "Now we can focus on the league..." :(