CBS (Paramount+) Streaming and on-Air

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by socceraction, Jul 9, 2020.

1. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    A big change on just the 2nd day of coverage on The Golazo Show - they are not giving a "goal" indicator from a match before going to that match. This is a departure of what is being done on BTSports. Have to say it's an improvement in that when they switch to a match and it's not "LIVE" (says "MOMENTS AGO") you don't know if it's to show a chance, penalty or goal now.

Also, only one guest on the panel (Roberto Martinez) is definitely an improvement. Less chatter. Obviously having a 3-person panel was the problem yesterday.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

beInSchwartz and Marius Tresor repped this.
  2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I do not have time to watch games either live or on delay this week, but I did have time for the highlights show. I thought it was a great first show, the right mix of highlights, analysis, and personality. I watched it on my laptop and the quality was fine. Too much ManU, but that is a minor point. I liked the American angle. Even Jenny Chu's report from Italy, a game I did not have previous interest in, her bringing an American angle to it, helped me care about it.

This was a major complaint of mine about TNT's coverage - this I wanted, if I don't have time to watch live (or on DVR); I want a decent highlight show.

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree for the most part.
    But during the first set of games when there are 7-9 games being played I feel they give things away by switching live back and forth between 5-6 higher profile games then we suddenly hear Mr. Hanson say, "Let's go to Detroit and see what's happening there where Cleveland has the ball". Sure enough, it's a replay of a touchdown scored moments ago. They rarely go to that game live throughout the 3 hours unless it's a close game near the end of regulation.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Golazo Show looked pretty good to me. Still early days so they can easily work out the kinks.

Zona Futbol is the gold standard tho soccer-wise and they start from the first set of games instead of 3 PM...

unclesox and Marius Tresor repped this.
  5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #155 Kryptonite, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    I once read an article comparing the DirecTV Red Zone Channel (hosted by Andrew S.) to NFL Red Zone from NFL Network (hosted by Chris Hansen.)

It's definitely true that the Chris version tends to stay on one or two "big games" as a default of sorts and that they tend to pass off highlights as live.

I believe the article mentioned the NFL Network version shows more live stuff as highlights.

unclesox repped this.
  6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    To be fair I've never seen the DirecTV version.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #157 Kryptonite, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    I just saw an error and edited my post.

The NFL Network (Chris Hansen) version shows more highlight stuff, but pretends its live. The DTV version doesn't tend to hide when something is a highlight from a minute or two ago, but I think they also show more live stuff.

unclesox repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Two straight hours of Highlights this morning on CBSSN.
    Not bad.

9. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So I was able to watch live or on replay all of the CL matches (its a sickness don’t ask ), and a handful of europa league matches. Tbh I only have 2 gripes.

1. The replays really should be up faster. They seemed to appear around 7:15pm on tues-thurs. I can see the 3pm matches showing up a bit later but no reason why the early matches should take that long

2. The Europa League half and full time show was Ian Joy and Demarcus Beasley. Would’ve preferred the uk based pundits/former players/ writers on there.

All in all not bad. If they can iron those things out then it would be pretty much ideal.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I would just add that it would be nice to have the ability to fast-forward and rewind the live matches. We are paying $6 to $11 per month so seems like a basic requirement to have this 2005 technology included, but maybe they are working on that.

Other than these 3 reasons I am also generally happy.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have a technical question. Anyone have trouble getting the live games to come up. I have a Windows 7 PC driving my TV and all of the sudden the live games won't load. The replay matches load fine. Before contacting CBS, just wanted to see if this was a general problem. I'm using Firefox as the browser.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Still using Windows 7???

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, on the TV because I have a cable card tuner that works with Microsoft Windows Media Center. Microsoft doesn't support it any more and it was never ported to Windows 10. This way I don't need a cable box. Everything else streams fine on the Win7 PC and I remember watching the CL games over the summer when CBS acquired them. It's only since the group stage just started. It could be a Win 7 issue as it works fine on my workstation PC on Win 10.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Right. We had this conversation a few years back and thought you might have upgraded by now to a different setup.

I think I may have asked you this before too but have you tried other browsers?

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, it happened a couple of years ago and I switched Opera. I'll do some trouble shooting with it. I tried Edge today and that didn't work either. Win 7 is a pain because everything has moved on.

16. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Rokus can be had as cheaply as $29, just sayin'

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #167 Orange14, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Yeah, I might look into those if the browser issue doesn't work out. Do you know if the Amazon Fire Stick works?

EDIT: never mind, it does.

18. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    #168 danielmak, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Everything has been good enough with CBS on Roku, but I'm currently watching Dortmund-Zenit on delay. The game played for 7 minutes or so, the champions league sound played, then CBS commercials started, the game started again at 45 minutes into the first half. I don't know if CBS lost the satellite connection, but WTF? I'm starting it again to see if there was just some problem with my connection.

EDIT: Actually 4 minutes into the game. And then when it starts again the audio is about 5+ seconds behind the game action.

19. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    This happened a few times with the Europa matches last week - chunks of matches were missing and when they came back the audio was out of sync. In my recollection the audio was *ahead* of the video by 3-5 seconds which was even more annoying

20. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Trying to avoid spoilers. Does anyone know if the Roma-CSKA Sofia Europa game was cancelled? It is not appearing on the CBS app. If the game was not cancelled and just not appearing then so far this week I am 1/3 with the games I wanted to watch given the hatchet job on the Dortmund match and this one not showing.

21. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Not canceled. Was shown on the TUDN channels.

It’s archived on CBS apparently.

22. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Oddly it has now appeared on the Roku app. All of the duplicate games are gone, so maybe someone figured out that they didn't upload some games. Who knows, but I'm glad it appeared.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's good to hear. I've given up trouble shooting my Win7 PC and am getting an Amazon Fire Stick to see if that works well for the live streaming so I can watch it on the big screen. I tried two other browsers today to see if I can get any live stream and it just wont load. ESPN+ works just fine for the league matches I watch so I think it's a Windows 7 problem of some kind. I checked the WiFi and I'm getting 80 MB/sec download.

24. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    The CBS app on Roku had all of the games live. I did not check the replays.

25. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I have been enjoying having access to all of the cl and el matches live and on demand (even though that could be uploaded earlier). My only major question now is why doesn’t cbs-all access ever put up the Europa League highlight show? I watch all of the CL matches day of or morning after. There is no way that I could get through all of the EL matches so that highlight show is a great way to keep up on all of the action.

AlbertCamus repped this.