CBS (Paramount+) Streaming and on-Air

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by socceraction, Jul 9, 2020.

1. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Starting a new thread for the newly acquired UCL & Europa League rights by CBS Sports. In addition to the 3-year deal that was announced back in November 2019, CBS Sports has now taken over the rights to all European Club competitions starting this August 2020 when the competitions restart.

So starting in August 2020, all UCL & Europa League will be the property of CBS Sports. And starting in the 2020/21 season, the newly created Europa Conference League as well as the UEFA Super Cup belong to CBS Sports.

Expect all matches to be available on the CBS All Access platform with an unknown number of matches on it's linear channels.

Univision/TUDN remain the home for European club football in Spanish until the same time period (end of 2023/24 season).

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I heard somewhere that CBSSN will show a lot of replays in PrimeTime.
    That is already a step up from TBS.

Redbullsnation2012 and Dante repped this.
  3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A someone who already subs to CBS AA and gets CBS SN via YTTV this makes me happy.

4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  5. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    A good sign that CBSSN is airing the draw. Maybe there'll be some info tomorrow about how they'll cover the final 16. Don't know too much about all access.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am trying to figure out what it would take for CBS to lure me away to pay for games I mostly get for "free" OTA or via my Dish subscription.

The only thing I can think of is if they offer the matches in 4K or something. Then I would really, really be tempted. Other than that I am fine with just Spanish Language coverage and the occasional match on CBSSN and CBS.

I know some people do not have access to Univision family of networks so this is more of a personal rant and not for you guys to relate to.

unclesox, Redbullsnation2012 and Dante repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Just give me one game a day preferably in English, but I'll take Spanish, and then a decent highlight package and I'm pretty happy. I don't have time for all the games anyway. It's the same for most leagues- give me one game and a highlights show; and I'm happy and I'll follow it.

The one exception is the Rapids. I want to see the Rapids games, but if I'm not at the stadium we have a local channel for that.

Chesco United repped this.
  8. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    CBSSN shows almost exclusively college sports, but they mostly run talk shows during the afternoon, so I wouldn't be surprised to see at least two games per day on there. If we get a highlights show, all the better.

9. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    CBSSN is only on the top 3 package tiers of Directv;Xtra, Ultimate and Premier.Is it the same for other providers?

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    BTW, I just saw a CBS Sports HQ Champions League preview clip with Thomas Rongen and Jeremy St. Louis.

Not sure if they are officially a part of their CL Lisbon coverage but one might connect the dots here.

11. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes they are

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U-200, U-300 and U-450 on U-Verse. The HD tier is $10/mo extra or included with U-450 along with HBO, HBO Max, Cinemax and pretty much everything there except for niche Spanish-language channels.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's a shame Jeremy no longer posts here.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #14 HomietheClown, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    As of right now the matches on Unimas OTA will be the ones involving Spanish League teams. Not that shocking but I thought they would try to put more on OTA.

TUDN will probably carry the others exclusively (but that may change).

As for CBS, for those first couple simultaneous kickoff match days I am hearing they will air a wrap- around show similar to Zona Futbol of Univision. (Except probably not as fun without the beeping/flashing alertas :p)
    It will probably be shown on CBSSN (but I am not sure about that).

15. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Does anyone know if they will be showing the 2020-2021 Champions League preliminary round? It starts on 8 August. How about the Europa qualifyings?

Also, does anyone know if the matches will be archived for replay on the streaming service?

16. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Champions League rights packages (worldwide) start with the playoff round. Europa League with the Group Stage. So all preliminary rounds matches are sold by the home team. Therefore, these matches can show up anywhere. Expect CBS to pick up a few matches but doubt to see any until the 3rd preliminary round. But as also look for matches on ESPN+ , beIN as well as GOL-TV.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

Shen-O and klingbard repped this.
  17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I just got the email from B/R Live saying they are giving me a pro-rated refund on the remainder of the current CL matches to come as those will be on CBS. B/R Live was great as they covered everything. Whether CBS does or not remains to be seen.

EDIT: I just went to the website and it popped right up under my FIOS account. Maybe this is already part of FIOS. We'll see.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  18. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I signed up for the free 30 days. I’ll definitely cancel once the Final is played and reevaluate from there. If cbssn shows a bunch of games live and delayed next season I think that will be sufficient.

Also I’m curious if they put commercials on during the match if you sign up for the $5.99 option. That would be awful.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 Kryptonite, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Sooo...

I have CBS SN, TUDN, Galavision. Apparently those are all the channels I need and I only need the free trial of CBS All-Access if I want to watch in every game in English HD, right?

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  21. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep

Kryptonite repped this.
  22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, $4/month cheaper than B/R so can’t complain. Plus the one month free trial works great for August.

Curious to see how user-friendly the streaming interface is. Cannot be worse than B/R. But, Personally I would only pay the $5.99 if it’s possible to watch games On Demand in the evening w/o spoilers. Big ask, I know.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Signed up for the free trial as well. Watched a bit of the NWSL final and it looked to be a pretty high quality and wasn't spoiled anywhere on their androidtv app so that's a good start. I had issues at every end with BR Live so just getting a stable app is an improvement.

Having Rongen as an analyst doesn't look good as far as their talent spotting, however. Think I read that they'll use the world feed commentators at least. Wasn't that hard to just ignore the BR studio stuff, but it's always a little sad when you feel you can't rely on the buildup or postgame to be watchable.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    For CL, yes. Guess the streaming is pretty essential if you want to follow Europa League closely.

Given that pretty much every remaining CL match is on CBS SN it would've almost been better to save the one-month free trial for September (for the playoffs, which almost certainly won't be on CBS SN) but I see the trial offer expires in mid-August.

Kryptonite repped this.
  25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    This sentence is a bit worrying: "CBS Sports Network will have the ability to switch to a more competitive game in order to best serve the soccer fan". :cautious:

Guess that's okay for the group-stage, but does CBS understand the two-legged concept and the idea that even a 3-0 match with 5 minutes to play means the next 5 minutes are actually crucial to the whole tie? Rhetorical question of course..