CBS (Paramount+) Streaming and on-Air

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by socceraction, Jul 9, 2020.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    He'll fit right in with the studio team for Muppet Hour once we are deeper into the competition and there are fewer games.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the UEL pregame coverage streaming live. WHY do they not give you RWD/FFD controls on a live stream? Other streamers do this so obviously it's not a huge technical challenge.

BocaFan repped this.
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, imagine missing the key moment of a game because the doorbell rings or you have to pee. Have to go back 20 or so years the last time that was an issue.

NorthBank repped this.
  4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I just stumble upon Ray Hudson and Phil Schoen on this Bayern-Barca game?

I do believe I did.

5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That is the featured game on the Golazzo show. I know some hate them, but I love them. After covering NY RedBulls and other lower quality football (I'm a Colorado Rapids fan, I love lower quality football); they are so astonished at everything everyone does in this game; I can't help but smile.

6. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I've shared the story before, but I found myself at a hotel bar/restaurant with Ray Hudson.

It was a fun time.

Too bad I never said the same about Tommy Smyth, although I did meet him briefly. I also met Max Bretos and I believe Mark Rogondino. (No drinks there.)

AlbertCamus repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's something to keep on the back-burner.

Showtime could be folded into Paramount+. (As in, no more linear Showtime channels via TV providers.)

If that happens...then who knows what they do with Paramount+ prices.

Option 1: Keep as-is with Showtime as an extra fee.

Option 2: Be greedy, raise prices and include all Showtime content in the base Paramount+ price.

https://variety.com/2022/digital/ne...own-showtime-merge-paramount-plus-1235371524/

AlbertCamus repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just noticed that the Thursday night NFL game is now on streaming only (Amazon). You think we football fans have challenges to go through during this new streaming era? Try being a throwball fan where 50% of the game is commercials. :eek:

That's RIP for Thursday night NFL for me. Simply unwatchable without a DVR.

9. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's a good point about the commercials. Interestingly, I was at a sports bar where we go after my indoor soccer games, and they didn't have the game. I'll be interesting to see if the NFL regrets the lack of background exposure they get from just games being on passively.

10. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you live in an NFL market, there's a league rule where that team's games must be on broadcast TV.

11. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This one ends on October 1st!

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSinCleveland repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I guess their budget is too small for that. Gotta love it though.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CBS, for live streams... please, please add a RWD/FFD control to your GUI... please?

BocaFan and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  16. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has anyone else noticed a dip in picture quality on Paramount + over the past week or two (particularly the Serie A streams)? It's been super pixilated and the colors have been dulled recently. Other streaming services are business as usual, so it's definitely specific to P+

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. But honestly I can't keep them straight because I have to use several streamers on a regular basis. However the thing I seem to notice mostly is more like "dropped frames" which make for less fluid motion pictures or live action. I would say that I notice this with streaming in general, compared to my old fashioned CATV feed.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Which kind of blows because fluid motion of live action is one of the main reasons sports fans decide to spend that extra few hundred dollars on their TV in the first place. And sports events seem to be disproportionately pushed to streaming-only (though maybe it just feels that way because I watch alot of sports :) )

hmm.. this really just sounds like someone else is using your wifi at the same time. And/or you need to upgrade your wifi. What's the quality like when you watch something on P-mount+ on Demand (as opposed to live)?

20. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So . . . the rest of the Paramount offerings are good. Live soccer is the only thing that's fuzzy. Interesting. Again, ESPN+ is still sharp - Paramount not at all.

I'll investigate further.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #621 NorthBank, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Well it seems like CBS has been listening to us customers... they just added the 10sec RWD & FFWD feature to their app and website. I think they might've just dropped this new feature today.

HOWEVER, perhaps not coincidentally, the live streaming of my Arsenal match is complete garbage. It died for at least 5 mins at the start of the match and after that it's had tons of freezes, dropped frames, etc. Others on the Arsenal board are reporting the same.

My hunch is that they released a new GUI feature set without enough testing.

Luckily our match is also on TUDN so I'm watching it (smoothly) over there.

Epilogue: They fixed it for the second half. But I kept my TUDN going in parallel just in case. Which was good because at 87' it crapped again, this time with an "Oops... Error 3002". Oh joy.

22. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paramount+ has a promo code for 30 days free.
    Enter code BRAVO
    I have no idea when it ends or any conditions, but they'll usually let you get the ad-free.

23. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #623 Kryptonite, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    So...if I have this right, everyone who pays for the commercial-free version of Paramount+ will be getting Showtime programming for no additional cost.

https://tvline.com/2023/01/30/param...-rebrand-cable-network-name-change-explained/

The confusion in the comments seems to stem from people who pay their TV providers for Showtime. Will they get access to Paramount+ programming via the app? I suppose time will tell.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that would be a first! Consolidation rather than fragmentation. Something that brings the customer more value rather than just charging them more for the same or less content.

p.s. I checked and I have the "Limited Commercials (Annual)" plan for $60/yr. So I guess I won't be getting the benefit of this Showtime deal? Also is $60/yr still a decent deal for getting something, primarily for UEFA & WSL?

25. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little off topic, but does the Paramount+ Showtime tier include Showtime's non-PPV boxing?