CBS (Paramount+) Streaming and on-Air

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by socceraction, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 Kryptonite, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020

I'm having painful memories of "Greg Gumbel in New York... let's take you to San Antonio for the start of Kansas vs UNC-Charlotte" when they're switching you away from a team you followed all season. :mad:

My deep hatred for "Greg Gumbel in New York" is like some of you all and soccer announcers. Then again, there's always a Gus Johnson to ruin things for me.

Edit.

drt2k3 and BocaFan repped this.
  2. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  3. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Saw the press release earlier and it’s a sweet deal that you can get CBS AA free for a month right now, though $5.99 is excellent in its own right.

I’m a little less pleased with myself for being able to get all the remaining EL and CL matches via the same streaming service in the UK, which costs £25/mo.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why? I actually find him to be decent.

beInSchwartz repped this.
  6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've found him to be extremely biased, especially when he was covering the World Cup. I've never liked him as an analyst, studio guy, etc.

7. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah I was hoping for Jeremy St Louis and Thomas Rongen. That was sarcasm.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The biasness should be less of an issue in a club competition. Anyway, he's just one of about 8 in that strong-looking lineup

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe so, because when I've seen him discussing teams from certain countries he seems to crap on them more than other teams.

One man's strong looking lineup is another mans weak looking lineup. To each their own.

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rongen is crap too.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    At least there are guys who have played at that highest level and have won the tournament.
    I am not sure how good they are at broadcasting but I want to hear their perspectives.

When it came to TBS it was just a bunch of US National team guys, the odd European guy here and there, a baseball player sent do do weird assignments and a Canadian NBA player who I found informative- but like a guy sitting in a bar informative with not much credibility.

12. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This x 1,000. It was both a terrible marketing strategy and bad for analysis. For starters no US national team player is drawing in a new audience of footy fans because the people watching would be more interested in European football. One could argue that the diehards will watch no matter who is in the studio. That might be true but good analysis from people who have been involved in CL matches in the past will keep casual fans hooked during the half and after the match. Anybody who recognizes Stu Holden will know about the biggest clubs in Europe but very few people who watch Ligue 1 or Serie A won’t have a clue who Stu Holden is.

And please don’t get me started on Steve Nash. What a joke that was. Cbs is keeping the best part of their studio show, Kate Abdo.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    hmm... not able to cast today's matches to the TV using my Google chrome. *Sigh* Guess I'll be watching on my iPad.

14. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Streaming quality for these Europa league matches has been so-so(pixelates for transitions constantly) and they just returned to the 2nd half of Shakhtar/Wolfsburg a minute late while showing some commercials. Easy to find at least. Watching on my Shield through the Android TV app.

Marius Tresor and Kryptonite repped this.
  15. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    I had it on for the first minute or so and noticed the pixelation. I didn't hear any commentators, though. Maybe I didn't give them enough time to start talking?

I plan to watch this one on demand this evening.

16. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Could someone advise later on today whether the on-demand option page or any other page has spoilers on it?

(I know these are knockout matches so if the length of the video is given it could be a spoiler, see the ESPN thread for recent discussion on this)

17. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No spoilers on the screen where you select the game on the web app, but after you select it on the bottom where there's the "timeline" (don't know the technical term) where you can drag to rewind or fast forward, it tells you the length of the video. Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 1.05.51 PM.png

18. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Looks like there are pre roll ads in the ad tier version.

For live matches it was over 90 seconds. For the replay it’s 30 seconds. But no ads for halftime.

19. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Watching the Copenhagen/Başakşehir match on demand and the audio cuts out from minute 32-39!

Nice that they are not piping in fake crowd noise!

20. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    #45 danielmak, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Watching on DTV CBSSN, which is airing Man UTD-LASK on delay, which is fine for me. So far two positives to report: No news crawl and international feed commentary. No pumped in stadium sounds until 26 minutes and then the mix was off, with the commentary slightly buried.

But we all know what that means, right? Soon enough US announcers will appear and a news crawl will appeal with spoilers for the games that air on delay. It's only a matter of time before CBS makes all the same mistakes every other network except NBC has made.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    hmmm... I got 4 adds at halftime of a replay. But other than that 2-minute commercial break the halftime is cut out. This is good news for those that don't want to fast-forward because it shows how much time is left in the stream event.

So far it appears as though you can watch a replay without being spoiled (as long as you look away for 5 seconds right after to select the match to watch).

Also if you close and re-open a replayed match it picks-up where you left off, which is convenient.

Were you on the stream the whole time or did you exit and return to the match? Because if its the latter you will be shown a couple of commercial upon return even if the halftime has ended.

22. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    I had exited and returned to the match, but I believe I had been on the stream for over 5 minutes. Not good if they are forcing commercials to people paying either 5 or 10/month.

23. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Just watched a couple of Europa matches on All-Access on the Roku, and it seems OK to me. Not sure why we need to see the splash screen every time we FF, but again if you just look away for a second you won't see the progress bar. I never saw any commercials, when halftime came I FFed for a few clicks and was right into the second half (I have an existing subscription and not on a free trial so perhaps that's why). I also like the "resume" feature from the home page, I wish ESPN had that but they're a live sports operation first so I imagine it's not a priority.

24. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    I think the top paying tier is commercial free.

The 5 dollar option includes on average 5 minutes of ad breaks per hour watched.

I don’t want to pay 10 dollars a month for only uefa competitions and I also know these commercials at the 5 dollar tier will get annoying quickly.

BocaFan repped this.
  25. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Yeah, it looks like the ads pop up randomly.

I got 3 ads during the first break of the EL highlights show and a few during halftime of some replays.

Sucks to pay and be getting ads.