CBA negotiations

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by SouthRef, Jan 5, 2024.

1. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Maybe this. But, they seem willing to pay more for players now in the Messi/Apple era.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said this about a month ago as a possibility, for what it's worth. But it's also something you'd never be able to prove either way.

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the players are definitely paying attention. I've seen a couple of recently-retired names commenting on the lockout, although I don't know how much that is just expressing themselves vs expressing what the active players can't. They know they're next on the block, though, and I don't get the idea that they're particularly happy with how this has gone, at least based on what I've seen in public and private.

La Rikardo and JasonMa repped this.
  4. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    StarTime repped this.
  5. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not the perfect thread to place this, but here is a local referees association leadership fully supporting their referees with their MLS assignments

1764472291826528757 is not a valid tweet id

6. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    someone in the NTX SRC just burnt a bunch of important bridges

7. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Oh boy. Of the things an SRC chooses to tweet...

8. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Obviously, pretty callous to post and infuriating to many.

However, this is showing that solidarity within the referee community has its limits and an expiration date and will only go so far.

Refereeing and climbing the referee ladder is an inherently selfish and "every man for himself" enterprise.

It just is. You go to any tournament (youth, Dallas Cup, regionals, Adult Regionals, Development Academy, even the World Cup) and everyone wants everyone to do well. But your number one goal is for you, yourself, to do well. Everything else is really secondary.

That tweet is another example of it. It's not right, but it's just the reality.

Again, we've seen World Cup trios broken up because one member was a weak link and he got replaced so he doesn't drag the whole crew down with him.

CJ Morgante lost his World Cup dream because FIFA/CONCACAF thought he was a weak link and was gonna drag Geiger down.

I'm sure Geiger was devastated for him and pissed off at FIFA/CONCACAF. He could have made the decision to stand in solidarity with CJ and said "if he's not going then I'm not going."

But, if it came down to Morgante and a World Cup what did he choose? The World Cup.

That tweet and the replacement officials taking MLS games is just greater degrees of what Geiger did.

AremRed repped this.
  9. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    I don't even see how this tweet is even selfishly beneficial to whoever made it. As a user said above, they just burnt some important bridges. All for a small shoutout to the debutants.

This is a Hanlon's Razor moment I reckon. Someone who obviously doesn't care very passionately about the lockout wanted to congratulate some people they knew, and didn't realize the negative response they'd receive in doing so.

10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It is just to show you that not EVERYONE in the referee community is with PSRA and cares for their cause.

They simply don't view what PSRA is trying to do applies to them.

They simply view it as not "my fight and not my problem."

This tweet is basically a backhanded shot at PSRA and their messaging. There are referees and people who simply roll their eyes at the messaging being delivered by PSRA.

Go to your local park on Saturday or Sunday and survey your weekend warriors referees.

Of the ones that actually know anything about the lockout, do you think there is a percentage that simply don't care for PSRA's cause or don't have any sympathy for them?

I've asked referees that I've worked with of what they think of the lockout and PSRA's struggle. Some have point blank said "how does Ismail Elfath getting better health care or more business class flights apply to me? Who am I to judge and tell a referee to not take an opportunity?"

The point is while the referee community is united way more than it was in 2014 its still not 100% united on this.

I guarantee you that the longer this lockout drags on the greater chance that some of the people that have initially said no might start to reverse course and change their mind.

A66C and GoDawgsGo repped this.
  11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #486 MassachusettsRef, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    I'm not going to pretend to know much (or really anything) about the internal NTX dynamics that could be at play here. The range of motivation--from simply wanting to "congratulate" these referees publicly because the individual knows them to there being some sort of underlying anti-union or personal animosity at current MLS referees--is vast. I would say that the fact the "ALL referees" disclaimer is in there seems to illustrate the author knew they were doing something controversial when they posted this, though.

With all that said, I think this four-reply thread from a current MLS AVAR appears to be spot on:

I mean, if the NTX state referee committee isn't congraulating Jen Garner for her multiple NWSL finals... or the playoff assignments last year... or anything similar... then what, exactly, are they doing here?

StarTime, refinDC and La Rikardo repped this.
  12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But none of this is about the "weekend warriors." It's about the guys that are literally taking these spots--either just below BU2 or maybe potentially those who had previously been passed over for high-level USL and MLS duty. And about the state leadership that is posting stuff like this.

It's not like the guys or girls doing four U14 games on a Saturday are the ones stepping up to fill-in for MLS. That's ridiculous. Of course they don't know or care (for the most part) about the lockout or PSRA. They have no idea what PSRA is. Stipulated.

But to pretend the head of the NTX state association doesn't know? Or understand what role they have played? That defies belief. They know exactly what's going on. Again, that "ALL referees" disclaimer clearly illustrates they knew this would be a controversial take when it was posted. There are signals state leadership like this can send to the up-and-coming regional referees in their early 20s. And they chose this signal. Not the other one.

13. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I saw this on Facebook last night. There was a single comment on the post (that I could see) and it was not kind. Very angry about the disrespect towards the current PSRA members whom regularly donate their time to support and develop referees and the fact that no other referee in NTX has been publicly congratulated on their PRO/MLS debuts. The post is now comment controlled. I'm guessing it turned into a mess overnight.

Edit: Woops, that thread is what I saw on Facebook

14. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except go look at their Facebook page. There are multiple posts congratulating PRO members in the past as recently as 11/23 specifically for Jennifer and the PRO camp just in January, so his counter point that they haven’t been posting that stuff is just incorrect.

Regardless of how they (N TX SRC) feel about the lockout situation it is downright idiotic for an SRC to alienate so many people that mentor and coach referees and collectively have so much knowledge.

They don’t have an SRA or SYRA listed on their website. Is the Chair the SRA? I know N TX has operated that way in the past with the Chair holding both titles.

RedStar91 repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.

Exactly. Agreed.

I believe so, yes.

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  16. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, since we’re on the topic of social media, PSRA is pretty pathetic for not being able to accept any heat themselves. They delete every comment on every post. PRO leaves everything up.

Baka_Shinpan and RedStar91 repped this.
  17. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    My point is that there will be a trickle up effect in terms of attitude.

If there are weekend warriors that don't care, then naturally there will be people above their level (regional referees and aspiring national referees and various assignors and administrators right above them).

Inevitably, that line of thinking will reach all the way up to the SRC level.

My point is that no one should be surprised or shocked that there is splintering at the SRC level or even higher.

There are inevitably some people (seemingly somewhat important people) that are just simply turned off by PSRA's actions and commentary these past couple of weeks.

18. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I don’t think it ever got posted I’ll also mention this. During the picketing in Dallas the PSRA referees didn’t just stay on the street. They went in the hotel and were harassing and mean mugging the replacement referees as they were moving from room to room during their training sessions. I told some of them to just report it to hotel staff and have them trespassed if it was that bad. PSRA refs already thought of that and were staying in the same hotel. Hard to trespass a paying guest unless they really cross a line.

RedStar91 repped this.
  19. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The sad part is there are people that think what they are doing is okay and justified.

20. coreyrock

coreyrock Member

Mar 11, 2014
    If this is true, please DM me the names of the PSRA members doing this, and I will address those members personally. This is not what we are about and apologies if this did happen.

21. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is definitely not all of them and quite the opposite of some of the interactions between people on opposite sides.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  22. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    sounds like an excellent opportunity for PRO to file another ULP charge, which they undoubtedly would love to tell the public about. until that happens, I'll remain skeptical of this secondhand allegation.

23. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know who was in Dallas and can ask them. I was told they were in the hotel for three days. Would deliberately place themselves around elevators and the meeting rooms, forcing their presence. Glad someone in PSRA agrees that bit was over the line.

RedStar91 repped this.
  24. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    So you put a pretty serious accusation out there because a friend of a friend told a guy you knew? If you know then you should follow up with Corey. If you don’t, then you shouldn’t gaslight and spread rumors.

this would be incredibly inappropriate if true and based on every story every other person has heard from the picketing events, this didn’t happen. PRO immediately publicized the ULP after an email from Chris penso but they sat on this one? Come on man…

akindc, refinDC, the_phoenix612 and 6 others repped this.
  25. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this confirmation bias or something else