CBA negotiations

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by SouthRef, Jan 5, 2024.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I’d really love to understand the dynamics at play in all this, which is (at least facially) different from other US sports. PRO is (at least officially) the negotiator. But it’s MLS’s money. When we attribute what “PRO wants,” I’m not sure it has a lot to do with what the negotiating positions are. Seems that it is all about what MLS wants, and PRO is stuck in the middle. Or am I missing something?

MetroFever, A66C and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    im not predicting anything anymore. I was predicting that both had too much incentive to not create the ugliness of a stoppage on the cusp of the WC, and I was obviously very wrong.

StarTime repped this.
  3. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    WC is 2 years away, the current strife will be a distant memory.

frankieboylampard, AremRed and RedStar91 repped this.
  4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming someone like Geiger is torn. He probably wants MLS refs to be paid over the moon and get every benefit possible. But that's not the job he took. His job is to negotiate based on what the leagues they serve want.

It does create this odd middleman compared with other pro sports in the US where the leagues hire and train refs and their union us negotiating straight with the league.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look no further than Garber's interview last Saturday, where he kept referring to "we" in the negotiation process and then, in response to PSRA's letter directly to him (you know, the chief executive of "we"), was all "we?! huh?! how dare you!!!" in response and threw everything back to PRO.

It's all pretty farcical. But it definitely is what you and others are saying it is. Geiger and company are put in a ridiculous position here.

JasonMa and El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  6. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm a little bit curious how this is influencing assignments further down the ladder. USL2 and USL1 start on March 9th and MLS Next Pro kicks off the next weekend. Theoretically PRO has to hold back the replacement refs they want for MLS which will shift up a number of referees in the assigning process for the rest of the leagues.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #457 MassachusettsRef, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    Not really. Or not that much.

BU2 isn't working MLS during the work stoppage. So all of those officials are available. With under a handful of exceptions, that next tier of "on the radar" officials (those not in BU2 but regularly getting assignments in USL1) are also not working MLS. Layer in the regular cohort of servicable/aspiring regional officials and you have it covered. It's not like Weiner, Herrera, the retired foreign officials, etc., were working USL. You've maybe created a half dozen holes you need to fill across USLC and USL1 in all positions which, in the grand scheme of things, isn't much at all.

Going in the other direction, one interesting aspect about the start of this season is that CONCACAF W Gold Cup (T. Penso, Fischer, Simon, Koroleva + ARs), CONCACAF U20 qualifiers (Rivas and Szpala +ARs) and CCL midweek matches (manageable, but a lot of crews in action) have all been going on right now and we have a number of PRO crews and VARs working. It wouldn't have been a dire situation by any means, but if the regular PRO officials were working these first few weeks, they would have been stretched a little thin. Which, in turn, might have given opportunities to some of the BU2 cohort earlier than usual.

8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Courtemanche managed to find a second (kinda) positive thing to retweet about the scabs. Unfortunately it's a piece for Vox that reads like it was written by a sixth grader with the help of ChatGPT.

9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, for sure now, we have replacement refs for this weekend. A whole new set of data points.

I thought that the refs last weekend let a lot of ticky tack fouls go which led to a different type of game flow, at least to the 4-5 games I watched. There is a lot of risk in that but it seemed noticeable to me that some actions where I'm accustomed to hearing a whistle were instead "let them play" moments. Some soft foul/dives were not rewarded.

Anyone else think that?

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone is only getting the usual match fee correct?

I wonder how many weeks some of the refs (especially ARs and 4ths) will want to spend 2 or 3 days away from home each week for a month or two when if they're only getting a match fee?

11. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

12. Law6

Law6 New Member

Nov 17, 2023

13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's two more weekends of games to see what might happen.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

La Rikardo, AremRed and RedStar91 repped this.
  15. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So basically this is gonna go on for a month if more unless PSRA accepts current offer?

16. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Yep, if true, this is exactly what I have been saying. PSRA is going to remain locked out until enough of the referees cave in and accept a below-desired offer. They are never going to get their demands met. No one cares enough about the MLS for subpar refereeing to force the league to act, and players boycotting games is illegal per their CBA. Their only chance is Messi getting hurt due to refereeing incompetence.

17. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    From the article:
    I suppose I should feel bad for these guys now in management, but this is the business they've chosen.

I do wonder how much power the current PRO team has been given to actually bargain at the bargaining table.

18. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_...lockout-2nd-week-labor-impasse-pro-psra-union

In a memo to the MLS Board of Governors, MLS executive vice president Nelson Rodriguez said that 17 additional referees were being added to pool of replacement referees for this weekend's matches.

"Also, there have been numerous former professional and international match officials who have contacted PRO during the last week about working MLS matches," he added.

frankieboylampard and RedStar91 repped this.
  19. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect very little to none at all.

20. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Okay.

ManiacalClown and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  21. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m interested to see if there will be fall out within PSRA if they end up accepting an offer from PRO which is worse than what is currently on the table.

22. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they do that there will definitely be fallout

El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's one perspective on today's news

El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  24. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    PRO’s credible long-term solution is rebuilding the referee corps, a 3-5 year project. There must also be a hope on PROs part that there is a divide between the part time (lower compensated?) and full time (higher compensated?) guys that they can leverage. They have to hope that this split shows up in a couple of weeks and they can start peeling off guys that need to work. Alternatively, BU2 guys could be convinced to take games. Once that happens, the floodgates will open and they will have broken the union.

I can’t believe they want to do the rebuild. They pretty much just did that in the late 2010s, early 2020s. Didn’t they go into 2019 or 2020 with barely enough referees to cover a full slate of games?

The pain point on both sides is probably still a while off… weeks/months.

I am still of the opinion that PRO will have to pay something in line with what PSRA is asking for to whoever is doing these games after this is over.

mbar, RedStar91 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I guess this is what I don't get regarding MLS' end game. It's not like the Saudi model of bringing in "all-star" referees (which involves paying officials a lot more) is viable. And if the growth in MLS continues, you're eventually going to have to pay officials more no matter what. So even if you break the union here or "rebuild" the corps, you're just kicking the problem down the road a few years. And, in doing so, you're pretty much abandoning all of PRO's success for the last decade or so in the interim. It really does make no sense.

Unless it's a signal to the MLSPA about how they will negotiate. Or the league isn't as financially sound as it is making itself appear. Or Garber and the owners simply don't recognize or accept the role referees play. Or... something.

But it's really hard to discern any long-term vision on the MLS side here, absent facts or knowledge we can't see. The PSRA side is pretty clear (more money, better benefits, improved conditions, etc.). You can argue, if you'd like, that some of the requests are too aggressive. But even if you do, it would seem like you could then accept room for negotiation (like, if the request here is $3M more cumulatively, how is $1-2M more not on the table as a counter?). But that's not where we seem to be right now.

mbar, RedStar91 and JasonMa repped this.