CBA Negotiations

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Smithsoccer1721, Jan 22, 2015.

1. TRU JDUB

TRU JDUB Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off budget guys are.....? Not top 20 players, didn't play a gm,trialist???

I thought the minimum should be 50k for rookies & 2nd year guys while 3& up should get 60k so this sounds pretty fair but can someone define off budget players please

2. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also sounds like all 1o off-budget guys can be paid the lower minimum salary (not just 6 apprentices). I'm wondering if the age limit will apply to all 10 off-cap spots now and if the top two homegrowns cap exemption will continue.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it will be interesting to see how the roster rules shake out as well. But have to think it is still 30 (or at least 28), we haven't released anyone. Though technically, the new CBA can't go into effect until the vote is taken.

FWIW, we had more than 20 guys making $48k+ (the vet min) last year + our two HGs. I'd assume that trend will continue and that not all 10 non-roster guys will be making the min. Bedell and some of the lower drafted rookies = yes. But the 1st round picks and guys who actually may play will likely make more.

We'll see. I was dead wrong about the $60k thing already, so what do I know. I guess, I expected soccer reporters to know what minimum means, but oh, well.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #430 Bill Archer, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Great stuff. I'm shamelessly stealing every bit of it.

In your honor I'll add something I left out of that post because it was already way too long:

Sepp has been conspiculously absent from the US for the last 18 months, not even visiting the new CONCACAF HQ in Miami (and making those rounds is part of his routine) or attending any matches or meetings.

Considering that he used to make the US a regular stop, the presumption is that it's because he's under an FBI sopoena (sp?) over both the Qatar vote (which is known to be the subject of a Justice Dept. probe) and the Jack Warner investigation (which has seen one of his sons put in jail and the other havng his passport seized).

They want to depose him on what he knows regarding both topics. Imagine.

It's all too delicious.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also am curious whether there's an exception for guys who end up in USL.

You're not on an MLS roster so I don't see how you can demand MLS minimum salary.

As somebody pointed out - I wish I could recall because it was terrific - anyone making $36.5k last season in USLPro had to be the highest paid player in the league.

The equivalent of DP's on the USL scale.

Playing in USL for $60k will have your teammates calling you "Fat Stacks" and making you pick up the diner tab, like, every night.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  6. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBA players sent down to the D-League (don't get me started on the byzantine nature of D-League roster rules) still get NBA minimum, so it's not unheard of.

Bill Archer repped this.
  7. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It completely blows my mind that I can lay in my bed and watch my team play from my phone. I'm someone who remembers the days when you would get a random, often delayed EPL match in the middle of the week (a few times a month). We got what we were given and we liked it.

Us older folks know we are going in the right direction. We aren't really worried about the speed because we know we'll get there. The league minimum and I used to be in a tight race. The league's passed me and I doubt it will never look back, and those of use who were there at the beginning know this is a very good thing.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's both. Let's be real. And you ignore single entity. It's the league that has a lot of say here, which was my original point. Costs are shared and revenues are shared. Where the profit comes in for the owner/investors is in the growth of the value of their investment. Over 20 years the teams have gotten much closer in ticket costs. The Crew have adjusted upward--and the La seems to have adjusted in the other direction.

9. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the league isn't going to allow for any differences in the cost of living (and thus income levels) in a city, they are going to have a hard time making it in lower cost-of-living markets (good thing the Cleveland expansion never worked out, team would've failed or been kicked out already).

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had 5-6 sellouts last season. I doubt that current pricing that that big of an issue. Just here.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One last bump in order to appreciate how far we've come.

I was going through some documents from the 1997 season. Guess the salary cap:
    Show Spoiler
    $1.2 million.

David Beckham's salary, per Google:
    Show Spoiler
    $250 million over five years.

Another interesting number from the same source: ESPN was available in 63 million households.