CBA Negotiations

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Smithsoccer1721, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prediction. The owners leak their offer. It will be a nice jump in salary cap, raise of the minimum salary a good amount, little more flexibility in "free agency" but it will not be true free agency. The players will cave, the media and fans will say look at how good of a deal they got in the end.

We watch DC blow and Chicago self-implode and all is right in the world.

Robbo Crewfan, MLSinCleveland and chr1st repped this.
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    One thing I'd like to see is more player-fan interaction. The owners should be able to get that without too much trouble if they're raising the cap and minimum salary. It was quite noticeable after the 2010 CBA when interaction dropped, there were fewer charity matches, less marketing with the backups, etc.

fidlerre, kgilbert78 and Kryptonite repped this.
  3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading an article about the NFL Cap and ran across this and thought hmmm kinda sounds familiar.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/25/nfl-salary-cap-myth-los-angeles-stadium/

4. Gordo Stretch

Gordo Stretch Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Most of the articles I've read imply that single entity is bound to end at some point and time. Especially since "players of a certain threshold" are able to pick where they play while most others do not. Many articles say that the players could perhaps win a legal fight, but probably won't try since it would take years and probably kill the league.

So I wonder if MLS sees the writing on the wall. I wonder if the CBA will include some kind of a multi-year transition period where the league gradually unwinds single entity.

5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Makes me feel old.

8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the press releases ARE written funny, or rather written to imply, to a fairly ignorant or uninterested fan base, that Seattle signed Dempsey in the same general way that players get signed in other leagues (soccer or otherwise). But that is clearly not how Dempsey was sign and ended up in Seattle. The league called the Sounders and offered him up, with the league paying the transfer fee.

9. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I've morphed from "I can't believe this professional athlete is younger than me!" to "I can't believe this professional athlete is older than me!" It's a bunch of crap.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  10. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Crew rookie talks about being on league minimum.
    http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2015/02/28/columbus-crew-mls-salary-disparity
    I did not know they also got subsided housing? I thought that any benefits like that count against they cap. I get the feeling from the article he doesn't like the fact the Crew had first crack at him. He "Retired"LOL, no he didn't nobody else wanted him.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't really been tuned in to the chances of a work stoppage, but are the owners likely to lock the players out if a deal isn't reached or are we looking at a strike? I mean, they wouldn't be gearing up for a strike by going through preseason and a lockout would have occured the moment the CBA expired, right?

I think they're gonna put in at least a few weeks under a "good faith" situation.

12. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He actually said the homegrown system helped him... I'd guess it would be the others, who could get offers elsewhere, that would really be pissed about it.

13. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sounds like sour grapes. Wil was in the same situation but was offered a much more lucrative contact. Not based on the lock in Homegrown status, but based on skill.

That said, I'd have taken 40k a year at 24 without blinking.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #264 Bill Archer, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Single entity isn't just a policy that can be discarded. it refers to what they are: one cororate entity rather than an association like the NFL.

Major League Soccer LLC is a corporate entity owned by stcokholders who have certain rights. Like operating a team.

To stop being a single entity they would have to dissolve the corporation, liquidate all assets and void all contracts.

The bottom line is that investors have paid huge amounts of money to buy a piece of MLS LLC. They did it because they like the concept and the structure of the league as it is.

Whoever says otherwise is an idiot.

Hilarious.

First of all, Homegrowns do not have to sign with their youth club. They can and do say no and enter the draft. Friedman is implying otherwise and it's quite simply a lie.

Secondly, what does he think his value is, considering that he sucks? He's seriously pissed because Pipa got paid more than him? Seriously? To me, if Friedman got paid much more it's Higuain who ought to complain.

And as pointed out, his real value was demonstrated by the fact that now that he IS a free agent in every sense of the word, nobody will pay him a dime.

So what made him worth more than 36k in 2014 but worth nothing at all now? He was clearly OVER paid.

How many minutes did he play? Oh yes, NONE. Not one. Zip, zero, nada.

What he really got was $36.5K for playing a season with the Dayton Dutch Lions.

He contributed as much to the Crew as you or I did. And he's pissed because he didn't get more? Really?

The base pay is more an intern salary. One hell of a lot of guys would take less in return for a shot at playing professional soccer.

What a jackass.

ZipSix, Draghignazzo, Crewture and 3 others repped this.
  15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put a gold star on this and hang it on your refrigerator.

I smell a scathing BA blog post coming up...

16. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Making the rounds on Twitter from the pundits.

http://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=679

Dude didn't get that international spots are restricted. And there isn't american talent enough to warrant filling out rosters with higher paid american college scrubs. The game is only a generation old here. In order to even contemplate changing the league format, the american player must be better.

How are NASL and other lower divisions run? Are they single entity too? Are they a capitalist set up as he describes? If so, won't they then overcome MLS through cowboy management?

Bill Archer repped this.
  17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know in NASL there is no cap or wage restrictions. Not sure about USL.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game is *far* more than an generation old here. Far more. You do realize that the first person to score a World Cup hat trick was an American, don't you?? Now pro leagues have failed many times and the talent likely isn't there. But the game has been here for a long time.

19. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is how stupid this guy is
    "But even if the league might not fold if some teams lose money, many fans seem to worry that their team might, losing access to top level competition. One of the facts that Simon and I were at pains to point out in Soccernomics is that even if teams owners lose money and declare bankruptcy, the football club almost never disappears. In the last thirty years there have been literally hundreds of football business bankruptcies in Europe, but almost none of the clubs have disappeared. The reason is that there is always someone willing to invest to resurrect the team, and often the fans themselves do the job. Ultimately clubs represent communities, and a bankruptcy cannot dissolve a community. It seems ironic that MLS fans don’t see this, since they are in fact some of the best examples of soccer communities in the world.

That guy must not have ever heard the 80's NASL, ASL, the A-League etc. I could go on with all the failed leagues and teams here in the US.

20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Soccernomics is one of the most overrated soccer books over the last ten years.

Which is a shame because Kuper's first book was fantastic.

21. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Point taken. I meant the league itself.

22. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To "Can't believe I'm older than the head coach..."

Flyer Fan and kgilbert78 repped this.
  23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The European sports model is not the US/Canadian model. While there have been examples of teams that came back (and the Sounders, Whitecaps, and Timbers *are* examples in soccer), it is not the norm. There are folks who still long for the Whalers and Nordiques and Expos (not sure anyone longs for the Thrashers, though). But it is unlikely that there will be teams there again. American sports teams are not clubs in the European sense (though some, like the A's, did start that way). They are franchises. It's a completely different model. Anyone who doesn't get this isn't going to be able to say anything useful.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  24. Crewture

Crewture Member

Columbus Crew
    Poland
    Jan 28, 2013
    Linesville, PA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #274 Crewture, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    $36,500 is probably the most that anyone has ever got paid for playing with the Dayton Dutch Lions, so should the Dayton Dutch Lion players be the ones complaining for getting paid less than Friedman?

That would make more sense.

I think there's a lot of people that would love to play soccer for $36,500, including in this forum. Think there's a lot of people that rather make 36K playing soccer, than 50k doing a boring job with a lot of bullshit. Friedman obviously didn't have the right attitude and can think about "what if" the rest of his life, could've perhaps played harder to stay on and get paid more? But in reality, he was lucky to ever get signed by Columbus in the first place.

What an opportunity to complain about.

Oscar Moens I think was the highest paid Dutch Lion when I was there at a lofty $900 a month and he probably was 1 billion times more well known and 100,000,000 times more skilled than Friedman. He just wanted a year in America.

Then think about talented USL journeyman like Shintaro Harada getting paid probably $1,500 a month, and looking at Friedman.

Then you once in a while have that one month where no one gets paid.

I guess if you want to complain about a MLS CBA you can always play in the USL.

Bill Archer repped this.
  25. Shamrock Rovers

Oct 4, 2007
    Lima, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably just a preference, but I could not stand his writing style. He was so disorganized a 12 with A.D.D. writes better than that dude, I know a little harsh, I have dislike for his writing pent up for a while now.