CBA Negotiations

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Smithsoccer1721, Jan 22, 2015.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coors wasn't here then. Remember "Smokey and the Bandit"?? But there was Stroh's locally then. Genesse Cream Ale too. Now I was joking a bit, but some bars stuck with one brand on tap in those days. Light beers often covered for 3.2 beers, as they were low enough. Some campus joints only sold 3.2 beer so they didn't have to worry about carding differences between 18 and 21 year olds. It really was a different era.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. Not that there weren't immigrants here. German Village is one result. My wife is half Italian, due to folks coming to work on the railroad. But they'd assimilated, largely, by the time I got here in 1978.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking to a current OSU grad student and he couldn't believe they once strung wires between light posts along High Street in order to keep the drunks on the sidewalk.

Of course, that was also back in the day when $1 bought quite a lot of beer.

4. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Papa

Joes

Bucket

stanger, Draghignazzo, NUFC Fan and 2 others repped this.
  5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't always the 3.2 beer (you'd likely get sick before you got drunk). But Zach's Red Eye's were legendary (I never did them, but.... 161 rum (I think you could get it flaming, but that may be my imagination). I do not recall the wires, but I mostly stayed, as a grad student, up on North Campus. Hung out a lot at the Black Forest Inn at Lane and Neil (I think it's now the Thirsty Scholar). Esther and her accordion used to play there....

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was before my time, but I heard the stories of how it was literally a bucket. No. Not four or five bottles *in* a bucket, but a straight-up bucket.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  7. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep just dip your cup in, and they had quarter beer night.

8. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting to see if FIFA weighs in on this. For one, there won't be any think like the last NHL strike where players went overseas. FIFA would not allow that, excpet with the approval of MLS, and I doubt that woul dbe forthcoming.

I think they will strike, barring an agreement from the mediation. And I don't think the results will be to their liking.

11. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    There's no way FIFA is going to allow MLS players to freely transfer or loan during a strike unless it's within the rules that are already in place.

12. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope they don't strike as that will make my trip to Houston for the rodeo, only.

13. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players don't have a big strike fund. image.jpg The NBA players union has a fund 190 million in 2014

Virginian repped this.
  14. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Ohio that now has a 100 or so craft breweries. The Columbus MSA has 26 open or in development.

Agreed re: taps, though. It probably started with Bodega.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cups are over-rated.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if anyone here as any real insight or not. But I wonder if there was a strike and the owners went and tried to field replacements, how many players would break ranks?

I mean, in my head, I'm not sure how striking serves DP players, unless they just do it for solidarity. Which I think some of them would, short term. I'd also have to think that the fringe roster guys, while they might want free agency, a good number of them probably have to know that this is their shot at playing.

While Free Agency would be a nice to have for a lot of players, i've got to imagine it's only critical for a few (but maybe I'm wrong), probably mostly mid-tier guys.

Also, does the players union have any duty or legal requirement to let the players vote on an owners proposal, or can the union negotiators (/whoever) have the authority to make the executive decision to approve/decline?

17. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Massive Report 3-part on this summed things up pretty well.

http://www.massivereport.com/2015/2...t-3-how-the-players-can-mostly-win/in/7815400

I really don't think Free Agency, which as noted above only helps those making the most money, is the line on which the MLSPA should fall on it's sword.

Minnman repped this.
  18. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like the players are overestimating what free agency will do for their salaries. Any high end player right now is getting bumped into DP contracts (Zuis, Besler, etc). The low end guys roster guys who don't play are likely taking small increases if they can even get them. The middle group will get some action but how many teams are going to fight over those players to the point where their salaries go way up. Maybe I am wrong but increases in the minimum, expanded salary cap, and little better version of the player movement mechanisms will serve them better.

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider where they may be getting their advice (the NFL Union was helping them and may still be). Single entity works for MLS but is a possible threat to *other* sports down the road. A firm stance may not do much for the MLS players but may be valuable to their advisors.

We are not going to pay salaries like Europe just by having the same system. Or if we do, it will be for European players and not Americans. There are few current US players that are not replaceable by a dozen just like them.

The KHL tried to compete with the NHL and is on the verge of bankruptcy. Is that the model MLS wants?

20. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Do the players desire free agency for significant salary increases (as has happened in other US sports) or do they desire free agency to have greater personal control over where they're employed? I guess I've been under the impression that the players want free agency so they have an increased level of control - or at least input - in player movement with increased salaries a secondary benefit as opposed to the opposite.

21. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Stu Holden on NBCSN this past weekend, it was about control, not $$.

22. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Sure some players will end up being able to demand higher wages, but it's more about being able to play somewhere you want to play. No, this doesn't mean LA is going to always get the best players because there will still be a salary cap.

The only real argument against free agency is whether or not MLS could lose their single-entity status. If they would, then I'm ok with no free agency. Maintaining single-entity status is pretty important.

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I guess I was thinking they were only interested in the money side.

24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another stupid waiver draft today. For 6 guys. Just let them be free agents already and have their agents find a team willing to give them a look. Hope this CBA does away with these silly things - they've lost their relevance to the MLS model anyway.

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #250 Kryptonite, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

Back in the 90s, we saw a ton of "MLS signs player XYZ and assigns him to such-and-such team." I don't recall seeing: "MLS signs David Beckham and assigns him to Los Angeles." I did, however see a ton of "Seattle signs Dempsey" news, as I'm sure we all did.

They're slowly but surely getting away from the original model. Unless these press releases are written funny, it seems the league only *signs* the lower-level (and maybe mid-range) players these days.

This league is the finest example of Calvin Ball. Bill Watterson would be proud.