The Cavan Sullivan Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Maximum Optimal, Apr 10, 2022.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if he stays with the Union for this coming season (and I have no inside information that he's signing with Dortmund or anything), do we think he'll move up to the U-17 MLS NEXT team or stay with the U-15s?

2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay with 15’s, physical jump will be too big for him to play with the 17’s no matter how good he is. You have to both be good and be a major early developer physically to play with u17’s as a u14

3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%.

RunthePoint repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They can always promote him later in the season. I think the Carrizo blueprint of how he's utilized this season will probably be used for Sullivan. I believe Carrizo's been injured for a lengthy spell, but was otherwise promoted to the U-17's in recent months.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Carrizo is still injured?

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know, but I think he was injured during the Spring season for a lengthy amount of time.

7. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    If there's any way Dortmund can keep him, I would assume they will, considering how well he played this weekend. If they can't, I agree with DK, it will be another year with the u15s until his body can catch up to his skill/IQ.

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He's awful young to go to Dortmund permanently, and I don't believe he can really play for them before 16 in any permanent basis even with a EU passport.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It's not only an EU passport, it's a German passport. He should qualify for German citizenship, if he doesn't already possess it. Why couldn't he play in Germany?

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    From an article on Ben Lederman:

"FIFA's Article 19 of its Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players prohibits youth players from registering with a club outside their home country until they are 18. The regulation allows three exceptions: If a player lives within 50 kilometers of a country's border and his desired club is within 50 kilometers of the same border; if a player is moving from one European country to the other (or has a passport from a European Union country) and is at least 16; or if a player's family has moved to a different country for reasons not linked to soccer."

Basically, he could train with the academy, but no games until he was 16 unless his family moved to Dortmund for reasons unrelated to soccer. That last one is going to be a tough sell.

FIFA wasn't very on top of this, but they came down on Lederman when he was 13-14 -- two years after his family had moved to send him to Barca.

There may be some intracacies there with Germany, but as summarized above, even with an EU passport, pre-16 is apparently against the rules.

I am not an expert here.

Either way, I'm not sure I'm sending a 13 year old overseas without his family. I'm not certain the relative value versus the risks inherent with that at that age. But I'm sure the Sullivans have a better handle on that.

WheezingUSASupport and TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why can’t Germany be his home country if he has German citizenship?

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Because he clearly doesn't live there now? Like I said, I don't know about this twist with German citizenship. So it may be allowed. But there was a crackdown against basically importing young players for soccer reasons.

Does it apply to Sullivan? It very well might. Maybe not; I'm not an expert.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think that crackdown applies to a player moving to a country where he already qualifies for citizenship. I think he’ll be able to use Germany of his home country, if he was to move before age 16.

14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @BostonRed, do you have any thoughts on Cavan and whether his German citizenship status would allow him to register with a German club before he turns 16?

BostonRed repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could register with a German club before turning 16, but it would have to be with a parent moving to Germany with him (or possibly him living with a family member already in Germany). Him moving without a parent would raise FIFA suspicions if it seems to be done for football reasons, though a citizen of a country would have a greater level of flexibility.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Because he is literally moving federations due to footballing reasons only without his parents with no self financial support. If they can show that his parents got a job offer to move to Germany unrelated to football, and then move the family there and hope it's near Dortmund coincidentally. He needs his parents to live and support him. FIFA about 10 years ago almost stopped any shenanigans that tries to look like it's not football related but really it was.

17. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    People seem to think these kids are machines. They still need parenting, living with them, a shoulder to cry on, financial support from a parent that lives with him. He's only 13 right?

gogorath repped this.
  18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still 12. Doesn’t turn 13 until September.

19. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I hear there are very good baker's apprenticeship programs in Germany. Jurgen Klinsmann was a baker's apprentice. Cavan and/or one of his parents needs to enroll in such a program near Dortmund. Problem solved.

20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    At this point, FIFA would have to be really gullible to think that Mr. Sullivan conveniently got a job in Dortmund.

Like others, I really question moving at this age without his family. And that's a bigger decision. Quinn is now an adult, but I believe Cavan has a sister as well.

21. KeaneO16

KeaneO16 Member

Manchester United
    France
    Mar 4, 2020
    Unlike even 5-10 years ago, we live in a world where it would take approximately 15 seconds of work for someone at FIFA to find enough to be suspicious that the move was for Football. Hell, they would probably just read this conversation.

gogorath repped this.
  22. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    No sister but there are twin brothers (07s) at FC Delco MLS Next.
    I know it doesn't mean much but Dortmund were probably the least impressive team I saw from the KDB exhibition cup. The level was still a few notches above any u15 MLS Next game I've seen. That being said- I don't think it would stunt his growth much if he stayed in Philly for the next few years. And I agree with the whole mental development issue- they aren't machines. Stay in Philly and go to a few trials every year.. Philly will probably offer him a pro contract at 14/15 and sell him for 15m at 16.

twoolley, gogorath and TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So you think all those Mexican-American kids that move from Chicago or New York to LigaMX academies at 13 or 14 have parents that come with them?

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Is that still happening in droves like it was. I don't see DMN lists anymore that shows that.
    FIFA notoriously and very publicly put any hint of it to bed in Europe. Assuming it's the age 16 and 50KM rule that you may be thinking of that would allow it. You're going to have to list and prove all those kids from NY and Chicago.

youth players from registering with a club outside their home country until they are 18. The regulation allows three exceptions: If a player lives within 50 kilometers of a country's border and his desired club is within 50 kilometers of the same border; if a player is moving from one European country to the other (or has a passport from a European Union country) and is at least 16; or if a player's family has moved to a different country for reasons not linked to soccer."

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...otecting-or-impeding-mexican-american-pl.html
    From 2016
    that Liga MX clubs are to stop importing Mexican-Americans under age 18 because it violates FIFA's rules for international transfers involving minors.

FIFA introduced Article 19, “Protection of Minors,” in 2001 in reaction to what was described as human trafficking in soccer. The examples came mainly from African and South American children who were promised stardom in Europe but, in the extreme cases, ended up living in squalor in faraway foreign countries away from their families.

In Marshall’s follow-up, he writes that Mexican soccer federation (FMF) president Decio de Maria has admitted that Liga MX clubs may have violated FIFA's transfer rules as they stand,

gogorath repped this.