The Cavan Sullivan Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Maximum Optimal, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Sometimes a creature from a different dimension will enter ours. Just sayin.

2. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Seems like a decent young player

Maximum Optimal and TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    I really wonder if he will actually be able to play first team games for the Union. I would love it. Obviously we have had plenty of talented HGs play for us, are currently playing for us, but a special prospect like that would be so much fun to watch.

Plus I want to the 20+ million transfer fee as well.

kennytt and TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt, a future world class player, in the making.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  7. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I’ve seen some of the highlights, but you probably know more than most. What are your thoughts on him?

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #8 ussoccer97531, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    He's a left-footed playmaker. Shows soccer IQ, passing, shooting, creativity, and I think he's relatively quick and able to beat players 1v1, but it's hard to assess because this is the part where the physical disadvantage shows up. He's also strong for a kid his age. I don't think he'd be anywhere near as effective against older players if he played soft. Often with these attacking mid types you see them being better passers than scorers. He's a very good passer, but I think Cavan actually may be more of a goal-scorer.

I think two of the better areas of his older brother Quinn's game that are also a big part of Cavan's game are how cleanly he strikes the ball and how he has a knack for finding the ball in the box. Cavan has an incredible ability to find the ball in crowded areas. He will often be the smallest player on the field, and he'll win headers on a set piece. It's almost as if he has a magnetic vortex that allows the ball to find him. Technically, he strikes the ball extremely well, like his brother. He does differ from Quinn in that I think Cavan plays more east to west. He's going to hold onto the ball longer, and try to dribble past players more often.

Cavan's starting to consistently be a difference maker against players two years older. Earlier in the season he had flashes of really good play, but wasn't yet consistent. I think a large part of the improvement is that he looks to have physically gotten taller and faster, which is just a reminder that the kid is 12 years old and has a very long way to go in his development as a footballer.

I'm fully of the belief that up and coming prospects need to be able to handle the hype that comes their way. If they let the outside noise get to them, they probably weren't going to make it anyway. However, I think it's a little different for a player this age. I simply don't feel comfortable making the big proclamations for Cavan yet. I think it's important that we don't yet put too much pressure on him. IMO let's see where he's at when he's a U-15 or even a U-14. He's still a U-13.

He's obviously a very fun player to watch with a lot of potential. Some hype is inevitable at this point because he's playing for one of the best U-15 teams in the country, and probably has been their best player the last few months, and among the top 3-4 all season.

kennytt, RunthePoint, twoolley and 8 others repped this.
  9. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #9 Maximum Optimal, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    Age of first team debut is one index of "specialness." The very best MLS prospects seem to make their debuts at 16 or 17. Using that as a benchmark, a debut at 15 and winning a place as a regular starter at age 16 would be confirmation he is on a special path. To take it one step further, contending for a spot or actually making the 2026 WC team at age 17 would be the ultimate confirmation.

I'm guessing he will play with the U17s next year (his age 14 season), then play mostly with Union II in 2024 (age 15) with possible first team debut.

I know he is born in 2009. Anyone have his birthday. It matters somewhat in assessing his precocity whether he has a late calendar birthday.

10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His Soccerway profile says September 28th. https://us.soccerway.com/players/cavan--sullivan/798944/

kennytt and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Thanks. Makes what he is doing even more impressive.

It will be interesting to see how long he stays with the Union. All of the most gifted players in the current generation (Pulisic, McKennie, Reyna, Dest, Musah) had important parts of their formative experiences abroad. Adams is the closest thing to an elite MLS product but he is not an attacking player. It obviously helps that Sullivan comes from a soccer family.

12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    He should go to Europe as early as possible.

13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he has a European passport, so I'm wondering if he goes over this summer to get ready for the '22-'23 season.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Nope.

onefineesq and bballshawn repped this.
  15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Well, I mean, among our elite players, it does seem like the Euro-early route has worked out better.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I agree. Best place is where the coaching staff believes in you and is willing to play you at the highest level possible. Not talking about throwing you in over your head but playing you where you belong in your developmental path.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    CP went at 16 and he had a special deal with his dad hired and cousin signed. The rest were waiting till 18.
    This is a kid who is doing pretty well where he is now. If he offered something similar to Pulisic deal at 15-16 he should go, but not as soon as possible. No doubts he has some stupid offers now, should totally ignore them.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Well, I must say it’s a good thing y’all BigSoccer posters aren’t directing the careers of our best and brightest.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  19. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Hard to draw conclusions. Aaronson has done well (got a pretty good start in MLS). There are others that skipped MLS and weren't successful. The fact that Reyna was successful after going to Europe does not imply he would not have been successful if he had spent some time with NYFC. It is impossible to determine if choosing Europe was better or worse for the players you mentioned (or will be for players 4 years down the road).

The other factor is that Philly's 2026 MLS will not be the same as NYFC's MLS in 2020 (or when ever Reyna went over). MLS is changing rapidly, so comparing 2-4 years into the future with 2-4 years in the past is not reliable. There will likely be a great deal of error associated with that extrapolation.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Please stop, we know 'Europe' at all costs as soon as possible is not always beneficial. Have to weigh alot of issues most importantly which club, what is their track record, will they be paying a significant price to invest in him, is it for academy or is it for first team football in a few years. The rush to go to Europe often causes players and his entourage to make poor decisions as to where and when his development will flourish when he does decide to go to a higher club on the world order of clubs. First team football playing for Philly may be the perfect situation to start his professional first team playing at a young age.

Mahtzo1, no exit and TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Let me rephrase…he has a German passport so he will be in Europe by 16 if he’s any good.

22. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    One benefit of the Union is you know what you're going to get. Hard to see Tanner/Curtin leaving anytime soon. (Maybe I'm wrong.)

Go to a European team and they might herp derp and hire Florian Kohlfeldt or something.

kba4life1 and largegarlic repped this.
  23. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    He has a passport, so, if he is any good, he will have the option to go to Europe by 16. Advantages could include money (not necessarily if he signs a contract with Philly at 14ish). Advantage of better competition may be debatable. I know it is easy to say training will be better in Europe, but will it be? Perhaps. Once he is ready for B1, there is no doubt in my mind (assuming the right team/coach/etc) that playing part time in B1 will be a better option than full time in MLS but will he be ready at 16? would he be worse off going over at 18? He's only 12, hard to tell at this point with certainty imo.

Regardless of whether or not he will be good enough at 16 to make the jump, he's only 12 now. Let's let him develop at least 2 more years before we nominate him the next ____________.

Maximum Optimal and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    I think the Davies path is reasonable and has shown to work so perhaps that is currently the most realistic target.

TheFalseNine, Anderson11 and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #25 Rahbiefowlah, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Fair point, that’s a good example of MLS to Europe working out well.

Still, I wouldn’t be sad if Cavan Sullivan mysteriously disappears one day and we come to find out as his 16th birthday approaches he’s at Dortmund. Or Lyon with Axel, for that matter.

Anderson11 repped this.