Caught Ballwatching (MLS Bad Defense '22 Thread)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tigersoccer2005, Feb 28, 2022.

1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 tigersoccer2005, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    Yay!! A thread completely dedicated to venting in frustration, gloating over in glee, or just commenting in shock at the worst individual defensive plays, the worst defensive players, and the teams with the worst defensive performances overall week by week in MLS in this 2022 season!! :laugh::ROFLMAO: :notworthy:

With the first week of this brand new season now behind us, let me just start us off by saying that the defensive performance of the Colorado Rapids against LAFC was just shameful this past weekend. It was men against boys. It was painful to watch Carlos Vela take apart the Rapids defense. Im not exactly sure why the team looked so bad on the pitch or was so unprepared for their week 1 debut. My non-soccer explanation is that it had to do with those horrendous green uniforms. Anyway lest I stray too far off topic--the Rapids are certainly my vote for bad defensive performance of Week 1.

2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I didn't see the game but FCC must have been pretty bad. I can confirm Vancouver was terrible in defense with their 3 man backline getting repeatedly overrun.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the Rapids were as bad as @tigersoccer2005 is making it out. We weren't good by any means, but look at the goals.

1. PK goal after a hand ball (stupid move by Abubakar, but its not an overall defensive failure)

2. Quick turnover catching one man behind the offside trap

3. Ok, this one was truly horrible defense. 3 passes (including a long punt by LAFC's goalkeeper) and no Rapids got within playing distance of the ball

Again, bad, but in a week that Cinci gave up 6 and Vancouver gave up 4, giving up 3 to the team favored to win MLS Cup and a possible MVP candidate on short rest doesn't rank as the worst of the week.

4. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Cincinnati looked awful against mediocre competition.