(Casey) Wolfsburg vs Mainz [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by 96Squig, Oct 30, 2004.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Just downloaded it, and what a goal by Casey. Great turn, awareness, and a rocket from his right foot. Just classy.

2. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Yeah it was a great goal.
    I'm not totally sure but I think I saw Casey today in Hannover.
    I know that saw Stevie but I'm pretty sure that the guy with him was Casey.

3. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casey may have just been in a goal scoring funk.. maybe hes snapping out of it.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you wanted to take that thought to USN&A,That would be some good reading.

I'm envisioning that setup but not with McB and Casey up there together.

5. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On one hand I'm intrigued by the idea of BMB and CC up top. On the other, Klopp has been playing Auer and CC together the last couple games. They are both similar players to BMB. So far the jury's still kinda out on the combo. They don't seem to play well together, yet.

For instance, in the Bremen game Auer was outstanding and CC was useless. Against Wolfsburg, Auer was horrible and CC was quality. They tend to seem to want to make the same runs...unfortunately at the same time! I'm not sure if it's just they as individuals are not meshing, or because the combo is new (what with CC coming over this year), or because two target type guys don't play well off each other. At the moment it's hard to tell, but we'll see more as the season progresses, I guess.

Unfortunately, with Mimoun Assouagh done for the year (ACL/MCL/and kneecap) service may be few and far between from the mainzer midfield. For any of you who watched the Bremen game on FSW, he was the little #33 with the funky 'doo, great on the ball, nice freekicks, tricky moves. I'm wicked depressed he's done. Dunno where our creativity in midfield's gonna come from now... DaSilva maybe? Have to see...

6. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm saying that I love VfL Wolfsburg, root for underdogs Mainz, and root against Hannover. (well, not really, I still want to see Clint's team do well)

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

Saw Toby on the highlites...

Great goal by Casey. Ice cold strike.

Casey fully deserved an assist/credit for the first goal too. He goes up strong, takes the hit from the goalie, forces goalie into a weak punch which leaves the goal wideopen. Casey really deserved 1/2 a goal- created that out of nothing in typical 'hard man' Casey fashion.

Mainz played some sort of horrible offside trap that simply was not working.

Brdraric shoulda had 4 goals (and got none). My goodness. He is fortunate to play on a team that gives him tons of chances. I think the Yanks could score some goals on that team (Wolfsburg). He colleague Petrov got totally lucky on his 4th goal...mishit a volley that bounced over the goalie.

Highly entertaining....Klopp (the Mainz coach) went nuts right after Casey's goal....he loved it...and sprinted down the sidelines..

Finally, so many of the BL goals are deflections or bad defensive plays that leave an attacker wideopen shots. If Casey keeps working hard, he'll get some of those too this year....just needs to keep showing up and work hard.

Also, Casey may have got an assist at the end (free kick). It looked like Casey stopped the ball for the "off a FK" 3rd goal...

8. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Finallly unzipped the highlights and saw the goal by Casey. Very nice. He is the one that made the first goal happen or gave the opportunity for.

The first penalty called against Mainz was a joke. No contact except that initiated by Wolfsburg. The last goal by Petrov looked like an accident.

Hope for better next time for Mainz and Casey.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, CC was a force judging from the highlights.

10. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to love those fearless challenges with the keeper.

Nice goal by CC. Coach was certainly happy.

That fourth one by Petrov was a goal-scorers goal. Those golden boots deserved the shining.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They're not fearless if you are a goalee.

Not according to Oswaldo Sanchez.