(Casey) Wolfsburg vs Mainz [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by 96Squig, Oct 30, 2004.

1. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    by Babatz...
    10 minutes left or so...

2. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I sooo agree!

3. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is one of the things that i love about this team (fsv)...everything has gone wrong today that could.. .yet here with 3 min left the team is still fighting like mad, a man down, winning corners... and best of all... 6000 mainzers are and have been louder (on tv, it could just be where the mic is, true enough)than the 20,000 wolfsburg fans! brdaric is has played well despite what the announcers have said, for wolfsburg... he just has missed like 3 sitters... but he's been wicked dangerous all game.

4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's not hard to be louder than Wolfsburg fans, even an Baseball fan crowd could do that! ;-)
    well, good luck for mainz, you'll have nothing to do with relegation and that is more than you could hope for before this season!
    and well done Casey! I want that guy back! ;-)

5. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    full time. oh well. funny how fast one's perspective changes. at the beginning of the season i would have been in heaven to have fought the table leader valiantly away from home. i just hope mimoun, all 125 pounds of him, isn't going to be out long. hope he decides to play for germany as well. he's just magic. we suffer without him.

6. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true enough! well, i'm not counting our chickens just yet...i still see a relegation fight before the season is over (and hope i'm wrong!). but thanks for the glueckwunsch! good luck to hannover as well, and my fellow yank steve c.! think clint would like to play for juergen klopp? maybe we can swap? ;)

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    First of all I'd love to see Klopp as Bundestrainer after Klinsmann!!! and maybe Casey does better with Lienen than Clint does, ok, let's change, would be best for all ;-)

8. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    What a great game for a Bulgarian-American like me. :)

9. Kansassoccer

Kansassoccer Red Card

Aug 6, 2004
    Laguana Beach
    Hes done it!!!!!!!! Hes done it oh my god, and the second coming has come. GOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!
    Cap him now, CAP HIM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :eek:

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Congrats to Conor, a 1st goal well-deserved (let's remember he did score 2 in a Cup game)

Conor has a unique power game which looks like it is BL ready...just needs to execute better on his finishing...and the Mainz story is a great one so far..

11. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I have to say is thank GOD for Martin Petrov! VfL is still in first! As far as Hannover goes, I hope they top out and drop in the table, then deal Mathis to a club where he will actually play. As for Meinz 05, I'm rooting for you guys! (just not to beat us)

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, and it takes a while for the power players to get used to their surroundings. Klopp had faith in Casey and now it's being rewarded.

I wonder if Bruce will show CC a similar faith.

13. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I'm extremely impressed w/Klopp....with less than average talent, he has molded a real team that scares opponents. He figured out a system that can win with less then good talent, and got his players to fully buy in. He's done a great job working Casey into the rotation, and keeping his spirits up....

BTW- The news is not all bad w/Casey. Including Cup matches, Casey has 3 goals in 6 games played (I go by minutes). Auer is at 3 or 4 goals for 7 1/2 matches. Main thing, Mainz has a real TEAM in which the guys support each other, and both Auer and Casey are getting their opportunities. I'd think Klopp is the coach of the year at this point, with Wolfsburg and Lienen a solid, but trailing by a decent bit w/distance...

14. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    todd, your commentary is greatly appreciated seeing as how you watch live and ll, but could you please use the return key and the shift button?

15. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So you say that you like Mainz but want wolfsburg to win because you hate Hannover???

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A 37-year old career minor (B2) leaguer (all 8 1/2 with Mainz) that went straight from the pitch to the sidelines in the middle of his 9th year, now in his 4th year as the trainer.

Another interesting thing about him is that he started as a forward, then switched to midfield and finished as a defender.

It'd be hard for him to stay at Mainz if bigger clubs come calling.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, Pokal is Pokal but the league play is where one needs to show his mettle. I thought, judging from the reports, that Conor was beginning to press, which is not a good thing for a striker. This should relax him a little. If he keeps contributing and Mainz keeps on being a middle-of-the-table or slightly above team, he'll get a lot of playing time and that will be good for him and the USMNT in the long run.

Lowering the limit on the foreign players in Bundesliga worries me a little but goal scoring forwards will be the last to go.

PS. As to Bundesliga'04 coaching, it looks like Mike's (England66) buddy has struck out again.

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best thing Arena can do now is let CC solidify his position and get some confidence in the Bundesliga.

In the long run, with BMB looking at marginal playing time, as well as getting older, Casey could very well be a regular starter for the USMNT. But he will have to outperform a lot of guys in order to do that and, if he doesn't, it doesn't mean that Arena doesn't respect him -- just that he respects another player more.

19. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Well said.

20. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    :rolleyes:

Flan, if you're going to ask someone to use the shift button, you might consider it yourself (hint: the first letter of the first word of a sentence is supposed to be capitalized). Of course, ordinarily I wouldn't care, but if you're going to be a dick about things like that . . .

And what does "ll" mean, when you write "seeing as how you watch live and ll"? :confused:

Todd, thanks much for your commentary -- it is greatly appreciated!

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I basically agree with an addendum.

Bundesliga is a high level competition. If Conor performs well for Mainz, he should be placed ahead of similar style MLS-based players, at least from the depth-chart perspective.

Fulham's treatment of McBride is a bit odd since Brian did well in his last starting assignment against Liverpool. Personally, I think he can do as well as Andy Cole, if he is paired with another striker with Boa Morte and Malbranque as attacking mids. On top by himself, he gives away skill and speed/quickness.

And I would definitely like to see CC and BMB in a dual-target-man formation for the USMNT, but this time with Stevie C. and Eddie Lewis serving from the wings. If Bruce choose Frankie as his right-side rover again, he might as well play Eddie Johnson and Brian West on top because someone will have to do a run of running to save balls from running out of touch.

23. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree with the addendum to the addendum. Good play in Europe gets you in the door, nothing more. If someone outperforms you at the international level, be it Landon Donovan, Josh Wolff, Eddie Johnson or Brian Ching, then that's where you are on the depth chart.

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Someone needs to point Ching in the other direction lately... :)

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That's a good addendum.