Casey tears right ACL

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Colo-Colo

Colo-Colo New Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Am I the only one who feels guilty about this? Like maybe it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't wished so hard that he would get off the field?

In all seriousness, he seems to be a good guy. Best of luck to him in his recovery.

2. careerender

careerender Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Calvert County, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best wishes to CC. But a few questions arise wrt the Gold Cup -
    Can Bruce call someone else up?
    Will he?
    Who will it be?

3. IamtheShark

IamtheShark New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Springfield, IL
    That kind of sh!t is just uncalled for...

As anyone who's ever had to go through that recovery will tell you.

4. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if he can call up a replacement but the logical person would be Twellman since the next two games are in Foxboro anyway.

5. Speed_Racer

Speed_Racer Neuwbie

Jul 4, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    That sucks.

It's my belief that most people posting here have probably had a debilitating injury similar to this.

Good luck Casey.

6. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I knew that Coner was seriously injured by the way the Cuban player clattered into his knee. Coner had all his weight on his right leg as he toe poked the ball to Santino and the fugging Cuban guy arrived late and plowed over his knee. Even though I often scratch my head wondering why Casey is in the National Team pool I'm sorry this happened to him.

7. DMunited

DMunited New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Austin TX
    I've been critical of him on the Nats, but I wouldn't wish such and injury on anybody. Best of luck, speedy recovery, and we'd love to have you on RSL when your recovery is done.

8. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Tough break. I hate him as a player but I wish him all the best in his recovery. Can you say "starting at striker for your 2006 Colorado Rapids: Connor Casey" Thats my guess. I believe he is from there.

9. guanaco

guanaco New Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Santa Barbara,Ca USA
    It is one thing to dislike a player for his "lack" of skills or production but, to rejoice or wish someone with an injury? CLASSLESS people, no class at all ! :confused:
    Get well soon Casey and best of luck to you.

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Casey a speedy recovery.

I was still waiting to see his potential realized. I personally did not see what the coaches saw in him, but they are the ones that matter. I suppose they saw in him an anti-euro type of forward, whereas a Twellman-type would get destroyed by the euros.

In any case, if Bruce doesn't give Twellman a chance now, then Twellman can forget about the nats and just concentrate on being an MLS scorer like Jason Kreis.

11. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they have a lot to gain too. EJ has a nearly 1 million dollar a year contract right now almost entirely because of his NT performance. Also having USMNT experience will almost make it certain that Casey will be able to find employment in the future.

In hindsight I really dont know why Arena called Casey up for this one, he needed to solidify his position with his club, and he has been struggling with the NT. Its not just the injury, its the injury on top of his decision to play in the gold cup over stick with the team.

12. United20

United20 Member

Feb 26, 2001
    New York City
    All the best to CC on a speedy recovery. I too am not a Casey basher nor hugger, but the guy is not US starting nor back-up material. It would be great if he were to come back to the US and play in the MLS, get some consistent PT, BA will surely give him more chances, and maybe he can get his career together.

13. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I think its totally bogus to be anything but sad at the situation.

Here's a guy who risked not only a starting position, but his position in the squad on his regular team...in order to be eligible to play in WC qualifiers/Gold Cup. Let's think about that- a guy who put country in front of club. That admirable.

Furthermore, say what you will about his skill level, but I've never seen Casey give nothing but 110% effort when playing. He sacrifices body, and plays hard defensively. If anything, US Nats can use more of that kind of effort.

So, on top of never wishing this on a player, this is really the wrong guy to wish anything upon. In a lot of ways, he's a model player/professional...exactly the kindof guy you'd love to have on your team at any time.

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Here, have some neg rep ass.

15. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes it's very sad that he got injured

yes it's true that he gives 110%

it's also true he has done nothing for the nats. do you really want more players on the team who give alot of effort, but don't produce? it's bad enough when a club signs a player who is underperforming (sergio galvan rey, 2004), because alot of times they are stuck with him...but for a national team to continue to play someone who gives effort with no results (especially a striker, whose main purpose is to score)...well thats just something unnecessary. if you were a metro fan, i'm sure you'd be a wolyniec sympathist :rolleyes:

16. Iplayedforchelsea

Iplayedforchelsea New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Athens, GA USA
    I really feel for the guy.

For me, the post surgery stuff was WAY worse than the actual injury.

17. tytomkiel

tytomkiel Red Card

Feb 12, 2002
    San Diego, Ca
    Hey dont be mad that I'm right to say that....

18. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Someone else who is "nationally ranked?"

19. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I just had ACL surgery 10 weeks ago. It sucks, but with current medical technology as it is, it certainly shouldn't be a career ending injury. For a young professional athlete in top physical condition (i.e. not me), 4-6 months should be a reasonable recovery period if all goes well. So who knows, Conor could be back in action in time to make the World Cup squad next year.

Best of luck to him in his recovery.

20. ciuperci

ciuperci New Member

May 10, 2004
    "Bundesliga side 1. FSV Mainz 05 will be without United States international Conor Casey for six months after the 23-year-old striker tore the cruciate ligament in his right knee during his country's 4-1 victory against Cuba last Thursday." -UEFA.com

Man, that really sucks for him. Luckily, I don't think the team will suffer without him at all. Hopefully he can get his career back on track ASAP.

21. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    Sucks for Conor. Hope he comes back to full fitness soon. I know 1 superclub I wouldn't mind having him on.

22. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    twellman has a voodoo doll...

1st ching...

then ej

then casey...

so I guess, wolff and mcbride are next for twellman??