Casey tears right ACL

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jul 9, 2005.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/soccer/12096280.htm

good luck in your recovery Conor

"The United States will be without forward Conor Casey for the rest of the Gold Cup. An MRI exam Saturday revealed a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Casey injured the knee Thursday against Cuba."

2. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And thats probably going to end his time in Germany.

3. dws3665

dws3665 Member

May 30, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    I know CC is the target of much scorn here, but I too wish him the best. This is really bad news. Hope he heals quickly and can return to action ASAP.

4. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    eek.

Good luck on your recovery Conor!

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Say goodbye to Mainz Conor. But on the bright side, I don't have to see him play for the USA until after the World Cup hopefully.

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's very good, but I don't dislike him perosnally. Lousy break. Get well, CC.

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Wow. I have a feeling Mainz ain't too happy right about now.

Best of luck in the recovery Casey. I've been through it twice and look at me! You'll be just fine. :p

8. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :: echoing the general sentiment here::

sucks that he got injured, but at least this forces bruce arena to play someone else at forward. good luck and i wish him a speedy and full recovery

9. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    We should start a pool on where he ends up in MLS because there ain't no going back to Germany now. He should just send for his stuff.

10. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
  11. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's terrible for Casey. While I have never been the biggest fan of his play, like everyone else I certainly still wish him to be successful and to have a good career. More so than we want the players in whom we have confidnce to prove us right, the best fans want the players we doubt to show us wrong! I hope his recovery is swift and sound as possible.

I vaguely remember the play on which he was injured, and as with so many other ACL injuries these days it looked fairly harmless as it happened. That field in Seattle has looked awful -- I hope it didn't cause this.

Best wishes CC!

12. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    At least someone else will get a look-see.

13. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    i can't see him recovering from this . . . a slow player suffering an injury that will inevitably slow him down more. good luck, but you better work hard.

14. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    You are wrong about Conor. His skill level may not up to USMNT, but he is a tough kid. He is not Clint Mathis. He will get back and goes back to Germany.

15. tytomkiel

tytomkiel Red Card

Feb 12, 2002
    San Diego, Ca
    Oh well...he's horrible anyway. Now God you have one more target...Chris Armas...Thanks

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Not to dredge up some bad feelings, but it's situations like this that underscore why the players were so adamant in holding out for more money from US Soccer.

The players risk a lot when they play for their country. Yeah, Mainz still has to pay his salary - and you can bet they're gonna be thrilled about that! - but he loses all his bonus money plus his employer, which didn't want him playing in this tournament to begin with, likely is going to want to let him go the first chance they can.

Tough break for Casey, here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

17. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Whats amazing is that there arent more injuries like this given the amount of tackling and/or twisitng of the knee in the sport - you just have to have all your weight on one leg and get a force in the wrong direction and.....xxxxxxxrip.

18. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    good, i hope he proves me wrong - not saying it can't be done - it's just going to require massive effort. He should include some work to develop his reaction timing as well.

19. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't the teams and the players have some sort of insurance for injury in the line of duty?

20. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Apparently Mainz will only have to pay his salary for the next six weeks before insurance kicks in. I am not completely clear about this, but the topic came up recently in the German press concerning Jens Nowotny and Bayer Leverkusen. The following is from a recent Kicker article:

Nonetheless, Mainz is not going to be thrilled about this as you say. And selling him will be very difficult. I wonder if they will dissolve the contract???

21. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Dissolve the contract? What do you mean by that Ohk4?

22. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Buy it out and release him.

Front page of Mainz's site.

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    OMG. Mainz is going to be pissed...

And you wonder why clubs don't want players attending int'l games...

Conor's dug a bit ol' hole for himself now (w/club)..unfortunate..

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I don't know about that. He may still hook onto another club (he had multiple offers- both BL1 and BL2- last year before Mainz). However, some club is going to give him a good going over...to make sure the injury isn't still lingering.

Sandon is absolutely right that US Soccer has got to be in position to 'cover the difference' whenever a player gets in a situation like this. A player should never be out money because they agree to play for National Team. US soccer should make up any difference in what a healthy Casey woulda made for Mainz this year..(covering the part insurance does not).

It is only the fair thing to do. US Soccer should have a pot of money for these unique situations in the future.

25. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Classy.